Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
He didn't - it was a revenue ticket.
I had a similar experience in January of this year, returning from Asia. I ended up flying on Tuesday. But, yes, there's additional flexibility award travel -- but it's entirely possible that OP ends up with something like ZRH-JFK (I) / EWR-AUS-SFO (XN).
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
I am banking heavily on not flying UA metal across the pond - specifically because the UA awards from FRA-SFO are close to 240,000 miles with the new MP devaluation. Fortunately, SAS, Swiss and LH have options in the 60-70k range.

Also - How was your colleague using his GPU on his award travel?

Devaluation hasn't officially occurred yet has it?

I'm looking at TATL almost to the end of the calendar and all I see are some LX, TAP and LOT flights at the lowest redemption prices.

For about the past 6-9 months, I haven't seen UA metal offered for J savers at all.

But they are releasing some close-in inventory, like instead of next April/May, if you want to leave in the next 2-3 weeks, you will see LX availability and then within 2 weeks, some LH and UA flights. That's been a pattern for a few months. The TATL from SFO on UA is to MUC though, not to FRA, for whatever reason.

Hard to say if this is temporary before the dynamic pricing charts or this is going to be the new normal.

Some people can book refundable hotel reservations and see if they get the flights a couple of weeks before departure. But they may even be able to book a return flight award before they depart.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wco81
Devaluation hasn't officially occurred yet has it?
Yes, for flights that are post November 15. What hasn't occurred yet are changes to awards that are purely on partner metal. It's just that it's not necessarily going to be easy to get from Europe to SFO on partner metal the first weekend of January.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, for flights that are post November 15. What hasn't occurred yet are changes to awards that are purely on partner metal. It's just that it's not necessarily going to be easy to get from Europe to SFO on partner metal the first weekend of January.
Are the partner award requirements expected to change as well?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LRMErnst
Are the partner award requirements expected to change as well?
They haven't announced any changes, but I think it's universally expected that the partner award requirements will change as soon as they can figure out the logistics. My guess -- purely speculation -- is that they will wait until the rumored *A-wide dynamic award pricing model is ready. I suspect this will mean an increase in partner availability, but frequently at a huge increase in cost -- similar to everyday vs. saver awards on UA metal now.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
If you specifically have to travel on the 4th or 5th -- it's probably not a great idea. You might find something -- maybe O space on LH -- but, then again, you might not. Weekends are tough, and the weekend after a holiday means that you're competing not only with passengers who were willing to pay for business class for their vacation, but also business travelers who are starting out the work year by traveling to the US.

At a minimum, I'd have a solid plan B ready to go.
I am looking to fly back to the US on 1/4/20 for 1/5/20 from Bangkok to Boston. I have been looking for Business Saver seats for more than 5 months and nothing has appeared. I am starting to worry.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 4:34 pm

Look for a partner airline. UA sucks at putting it's own seats out there for saver. Also, consider departing a different airport. We couldn't find anything for IAH to FRA. We found out that LH flies nonstop out of AUS to FRA. Lots of Biz Saver seats available. And it's much easier for us to depart from AUS anyway. As we got closer to departure, a lot more carriers started showing up. Such as AC, LX, TK, etc. But few if any UA seats.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Too bad we can't post polls.

I'd be curious to see what percentage of MP elites on FT were planning to continue to spend and earn UA RDMs at the same levels they have been.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Are there usually more/less award openings on July 4th? I'm trying fly back from CDG -> SFO and theres availability right now on AC and TAP, but I would prefer UA since it is a direct flight. Wondering if it is worth waiting to see if UA will release saver space on July 4th 2020 or if I should just book with other airlines now while its still available.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Are you sure you're seeing awards out to July 4th?

That seems too far out.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I am looking to fly back to the US on 1/4/20 for 1/5/20 from Bangkok to Boston. I have been looking for Business Saver seats for more than 5 months and nothing has appeared. I am starting to worry.
That's going to be a tough time to find saver C seats. It's the weekend and pretty much the end of a holiday for the US. That being said, I did see some 90K C seats on the 2nd and the 9th. The 2nd is through ADD, but the 9th is via PEK and ZRH.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tods27
That's going to be a tough time to find saver C seats. It's the weekend and pretty much the end of a holiday for the US. That being said, I did see some 90K C seats on the 2nd and the 9th. The 2nd is through ADD, but the 9th is via PEK and ZRH.
Will UA release seats in October or November? If not, I may have to buy a one-way ticket back home. I have to work on January 6!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA Plat
I saw awards for AC and TAP through aeroplan. UA hasn't released it yet for July 4th. From CDG -> SFO in June, there is only 1 availability and it is on a Saturday (same day of the week as July 4th if that helps)
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Will UA release seats in October or November? If not, I may have to buy a one-way ticket back home. I have to work on January 6!
If UA releases any business saver inventory, it will likely be within about 7 days of the flight. I say this based on my experience this January trying to get stateside from HKG. They sold every J seat on every Asia-US departure from Friday through Sunday. Many of them sold out a few weeks in advance. Now, it's possible that they cleared a bunch of award space earlier, and I just missed it, but they really haven't been doing much of that.

I think your best bet is partner inventory. Keep watching, and try multiple US gateways. BKK-ZRH-BOS or BKK-FRA-BOS might be perfect, but try IAD, NYC, PHL, etc. also. As long as you get within an easy flight of Boston, I'd call it a win.

Good luck!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:23 pm

If UA releases any business saver inventory, it will likely be within about 7 days of the flight. I say this based on my experience this January trying to get stateside from HKG. They sold every J seat on every Asia-US departure from Friday through Sunday. Many of them sold out a few weeks in advance. Now, it's possible that they cleared a bunch of award space earlier, and I just missed it, but they really haven't been doing much of that.

I think your best bet is partner inventory. Keep watching, and try multiple US gateways. BKK-ZRH-BOS or BKK-FRA-BOS might be perfect, but try IAD, NYC, PHL, etc. also. As long as you get within an easy flight of Boston, I'd call it a win.

Good luck!
I tend to grab a partner seat well in advance rather than hoping for a saver on UA close in. I can always change flights if a better UA seat comes up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.