Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Is there a chart yet for how much the saver award tickets will be for Premium Plus? I'm mostly interested in US-Europe. I tried using the link below on UA's site, but it still doesn't list it. I've been looking at SFO-CDG, and in the upcoming months, the only availability I've seen for Premium Plus is the standard fare of 120,000 miles one way – no thanks.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...ardTravel.aspx
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by char777
Is there a chart yet for how much the saver award tickets will be for Premium Plus?
I don't believe there's any assurance UA will offer saver awards for PP.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't believe there's any assurance UA will offer saver awards for PP.
More to the point, there's currently no such thing. There's only a single award inventory bucket for P+ -- ON. This is used for the dynamic Everyday awards. If they wanted to offer standard awards, they would need another bucket (or they would have to share an inventory bucket, which is never really a good idea).

If the rumored *A PE awards come to fruition, that might be the impetus for UA to introduce saver awards on P+. Otherwise, I feel like this is the 'new normal.'
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I'm guessing it's all waiting on *A to come to some sort of agreement on offering alliance-wide PE awards.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:00 am

Hawaii and First Saver Availability

Looking for a trip ~1 year from now, hoping to grab 2 saver tickets in first with miles. Realize I won't be able to book for next month or so, but am trying to do some research now.

Somewhat surprised that even for newly loaded flights, I can't get first saver. Is that true?

What are the changes I can get these? And what booking window (how far out) is my best shot?

FWIW, looking for 2 tcks to OGG or HNL or LIH from ORD.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teege
Somewhat surprised that even for newly loaded flights, I can't get first saver. Is that true?
UA rarely, if ever, opens award space when it first loads flights into the schedule. A few airlines still do that, but most have followed suit.

What are the changes I can get these? And what booking window (how far out) is my best shot?
During Spring Break? Essentially zero unless there's a major recession between now and then. If you're willing to connect in California and travel midweek, maybe. You'll want to look regularly, and book if you see anything that meets your requirements. UA may open up last-minute inventory if they have unsold seats a few days before the flight.

Note that if you're able to confirm a saver economy award -- even that can be difficult -- you can waitlist for a saver award. I wouldn't expect you'll clear, but at least you'll have a chance. Note that UA will clear all pending upgrades before they will open saver awards.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Looking for a trip ~1 year from now, hoping to grab 2 saver tickets in first with miles. Realize I won't be able to book for next month or so, but am trying to do some research now.

FWIW, looking for 2 tcks to OGG or HNL or LIH from ORD.
Hawaii is in its 8th straight year of record tourism - the planes are full.

In my experience, the farther out you look, the less likely you'll find Saver F - for instance, you can literally fly today for 40K miles ORD-HNL (with a stop), and there is like 1 or 2 dates in the next week - and then nothing for months. Saver F tends to be last minute availability lately - at least when I look.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
...Saver F tends to be last minute availability lately - at least when I look.
This.

UA realizes a large percentage of Hawaii-bound flyers are going there on vacation and need to plan ahead (accommodations, rental car, timeframe, etc). I also don’t see saver awards until last second, and it’s usually off-peak season and mid-week.

Chances of saver awards spring break are zero. OP needs to plan on everyday awards or buying First. Unless you’re GS, even upgrade awards are tough peak travel and weekends.

Even beyond this, it’ll be interesting to see how things evolve to/from Hawaii as WN builds up. I can see UA reducing 772s out of SFO to Hawaii and replacing them with 738/9s, a further reduction in F capacity.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 5, 2019 at 1:36 pm
Old Mar 5, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Even beyond this, it’ll be interesting to see how things evolve to/from Hawaii as WN builds up. I can see UA reducing 772s out of SFO to Hawaii and replacing them with 738/9s, a further reduction in F capacity.
I'm not sure UA will see much of a difference at SFO - WN is going out of Oakland and 2 737's I don't think will dent the market - who knows, I would miss the lie flats if it happens though.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, 1MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
UA realizes a large percentage of Hawaii-bound flyers are going there on vacation and need to plan ahead (accommodations, rental car, timeframe, etc). I also don’t see saver awards until last second, and it’s usually off-peak season and mid-week.

Chances of saver awards spring break are zero. OP needs to plan on everyday awards or buying First. Unless you’re GS, even upgrade awards are tough peak travel and weekends.

Quoted for truth. I have scoured EWR-HNL for the last two years and never had any upgrade clear ever - even as a GS. Never, ever, ever - and I've tried over and over. Every time I end up just paying F for me and use companion / standard awards for wife and son. Worst FF mile redemptions that I do by far. Tokyo? R/T business for 70,000 miles nonstop on the new 777-300ER no problem. LHR? 60,000 R/T. No problem.

HNL? Forget it. IAH-OIL-TRASH nailed it. UA knows everyone wants saver redemptions and upgrades on Hawaii routes. That's why they don't offer them. They don't need to. Want to go to a business destination for a vacation? Then you're likely to strike gold.

So, pay up and enjoy the Aloha

Last edited by Acastus; Mar 5, 2019 at 8:38 pm
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
UA does not release saver award space at 330 day mark and only random release after that. Maybe on unpopular routs (I don’t check those) but never peak season to peak leisure destinations, eg Hawaii Mexico. I have snagged 40k saved seats to Hawaii nonstop from SFO but usually 2-4 months advance. Plenty if you are willing to go redeye (I won’t). We were able to upgrade paid tix going westbound using RPUs but not even close eastbound. And no luck in late December.
Old Mar 15, 2019, 10:56 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
I have run into this situation a couple of times, particularly at the end of the year when I am trying to top off and square away all of my mileage across different Star Alliance programs. USUALLY, there is no change at all. When upgraded to C or in E+, I have never lost the seat because of it.

HOWEVER, sometimes I have run into agents who refuse to do it. They look at the benefits I have received from the status currently on my ticket, and deny my request.

So, YMMV.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: United, BA, FlyingBLue, AA
TATL award tickets on UA and LH

No current status on UA, but had accumulated a pile of miles. I have never booked TATL award seats before. The MileagePlus' award chart specifies the number of miles needed for UA and *A tickets, but I am wondering if award seats are really available on LH.. Looking to use up some miles for a summer trip. Problaby SFO-FRA or LAX-FRA (maybe EWR-FRA). I haven't tried booking anything yet on UA (although on some flights EWR to BGO,United.com says that there are NOT ANY award economy seats available - which doesn't make any sense unless UA has changed its policy of allowing booking of award seats available IF ANY seats are available for purchase - Can entire economy sections be sold out already for July flights?). I have heard/read that booking award tickets on LH using UA miles can be difficult. What is the best process for trying to book award seats on LH? Calling LH? Using their website? UA's website? Does LH make award seats available to airline partner members months in advance? Weeks? Is it necessary to use ExpertFlyer or similar to find award seats on LH?
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Diogenes1789
United.com says that there are NOT ANY award economy seats available - which doesn't make any sense unless UA has changed its policy of allowing booking of award seats available IF ANY seats are available for purchase -
That is not and has never been UA's policy.

If you are Premier or have certain Chase credit cards, UA offers "last seat" availability at the "Everyday" level on its own metal. That does not apply to flights operated by other carriers, such as LH.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
I have read in other threads that LH does not open up *A award availability for premium classes on long haul routes until about 15 days prior to flight date. If you go to the *A website, it indicates that to book an award flight on *A partners that you must do so by going to the website of your mileage program ( in your case MP/UA) and book via their award travel booking process. I have been wanting to book a flight on LH using MP miles and it has not shown any LH availability on the UA search engine since I started looking several months ago. I do seem to recall seeing Economy availability, but don't have any recall about PE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.