Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hughw
As a gold, my understanding is that can always be done providing the flight isn't sold out. Is that correct?
Yes, for UA-operated flights.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 4:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... We're trying to put together a family trip late June / Early July for twelve us of to Paris from New York and Boston on particular days. ....
What size chunks (# of passengers on a single itin) do you need -- will be very dificult to get all on a common itin.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Business saver award to Europe around April 12-21

Hi all:

I hope someone that is more "in the know" can help me here.

I am trying to get 4 tickets to Europe, preferable Middle/Eastern Europe (WAW, PRG, ZRG, VIE). April 11-13 for departure, 20-22 for return.

I am seeing availability for Business Awards, but only the everyday kind, not the savers. I know these dates may be very popular but still I want to try to nab a flight with a business savers because, frankly, the everyday award will wipe me out, and because the economy seats are very incomfortable these days. Does someone know if additional availability it present (I looked long and hard and did not find it), or when in general availability of these awards is released?

I am even willing to purchase Y and upgrade with a global upgrade - have enough of these too.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
There is a thread for this as I learned from people posting to the thread.

For the Y flights I use advanced search using economy codes: Y, M, B, H, E, U, Q, V, W. Then look to see if the PZ code is >0. If I am connecting I will look at the non-stop flight only as often you will see PZ as 0 if there is a connecting flight. When I see the available flight will book the connecting flight albeit at booking it shows PZ =0.

There is also an advanced search option for upgrades to search for flights so you can use the GPUs.

I have never tried booking to use 4 GPUs (essentially 8) on the one reservation.

For award travel I tend to book 330 days out so have generally been able to get business saver awards. I know I have also got great Business Saver awards within a week of travel. Else have struggled getting business saver awards. YMMV
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Flexibility in travel is key to getting upgrades, and even more so with desire for 4 saver awards. Confining yourself to certain dates and saver awards significantly reduces chances of riding in comfort. And you want to travel on a Friday out and Sunday back? Your chances are not far above zero of getting 4 saver awards on your dates.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by skidooman
ZRG
I don't believe UA has any business class services to the Bratislava Main Bus Station.

I suspect you're actually after ZAG.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
For award travel I tend to book 330 days out so have generally been able to get business saver awards. I know I have also got great Business Saver awards within a week of travel. Else have struggled getting business saver awards. YMMV
IME, while certain partner airlines open business award availability at T-330, UA rarely, if ever, does so. They’ll open inventory sporadically as they see how well the flight is selling.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by docbert
I don't believe UA has any business class services to the Bratislava Main Bus Station.

I suspect you're actually after ZAG.
LOL Yes, indeed! Looking for Zagreb.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LOL Yes, indeed! Looking for Zagreb.
Your best bet is likely to be Lufthansa, Swiss, or SAS from Boston.

If you’re looking at United flights, try searching from Newark. It’s often easier to find award space on the international flights than the domestic connectors.
Old Nov 4, 2018, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I have basically given up on UA saver awards. I would gladly purchase with $ a United business seat if I could find a saver award for my companion. Now, we usually use our miles for saver awards on LH or TK which are usually readily available. I actually prefer their food and service. Sometimes, we have to make the 3 hr. drive to ATL. However, we consider it worthwhile, considering the savings.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by jsloan

Your best bet is likely to be Lufthansa, Swiss, or SAS from Boston.

If you’re looking at United flights, try searching from Newark. It’s often easier to find award space on the international flights than the domestic connectors.
Thanks!

I tried this. Came up empty handed. Maybe this is because I am too early to nab the seats in April. I doubt it though because I then looked availability for June, and there were more.

So, I changed my plans. Flying end of June beginning of July. The longest vacations I ever got in more than 20 years of work. Found TP going to VIE, and then OS on the way home (via Montreal).

Bad luck: TP never ticketed. It shows on the Web site, but even MP can't get the ticket to confirm. So, ended up keeping the return trip, booking 3 tickets with TK, and purchasing J on same flights for myself (so we can still accumulate miles on the way in VIE).

So, as far as I am concerned, what UA really did here is to replace saver availability (which was the default before) with "standard" availability. Or, in other words, charge twice as much as before. More "changes I think you will like".
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, as far as I am concerned, what UA really did here is to replace saver availability (which was the default before) with "standard" availability. Or, in other words, charge twice as much as before. More "changes I think you will like".
Saver availability was never the default. You're in a weird spot for April ticketing -- too late to catch any award seats that opened up at T-330, and too soon to catch the award seats that will likely open up closer to the travel date as the airlines figure out what wasn't going to sell. If you were to continue to monitor the situation, it's likely you would have been able to find something eventually.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
What size chunks (# of passengers on a single itin) do you need -- will be very dificult to get all on a common itin.
We can break it up....from NYC, we can do 3 & 2. From BOS, we can do pretty much any combination of 2 or more.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, CO Plat, CO Million Miler
As a gold, my understanding is that can always be done providing the flight isn't sold out. Is that correct?
Originally Posted by jsloan

Yes, for UA-operated flights.
I'd like to confirm a variation on this...As a gold, I know that that I can always get a seat on any UA flight at Everyday rates unless the flight is sold out....Does that extend to additional seats that I might want for family members, providing that the miles come from my account?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does that extend to additional seats that I might want for family members, providing that the miles come from my account?
Yes. Whether you're traveling or not, in fact, as a Premier member, when using your miles, you have last-seat availability for Everyday awards to all UA-operated flights, no matter who the traveler is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.