Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA - 1K/2MM, Marriott Plat,
Yes, I do come across rather badly here. Actually I am trying to find seats for my wife to be able to join me when I fly in a paid Polaris seat. Getting my fare is fine (but I am not paying) but for her I'd like to get her next to me because someone sitting down the back is not how we operate

I have see the *A awards but really prefer/want to fly UA metal. I just started looking this last week and all I see is full front cabins and no saver plus deals. but I will keep looking.

Thanks for all the comments
Old Sep 26, 2018, 2:54 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by John A Adams
.... I have see the *A awards but really prefer/want to fly UA metal. I just started looking this last week and all I see is full front cabins and no saver plus deals. but I will keep looking. ....
You will have the best odds flighting mid-week, UA can generally sell out the typical peak business travel days, so has little incentive to offer business savers.

You can book economy saver and waitlist or business save but the odds are still poor for peak business travel days.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA "nothing",Delta "wannabe", Marriott Platinum
Yes. Understand the mid week thing. Basically looking for Tues/Wed to Tues/Wed and am using advance mode to look for upgrade inventory too....

Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:55 am

Last minute saver award space

I’m trying to rebook my MUC-CLE in biz for Tuesday for a less than horrendous itinerary (<18h and not at 8am). I am consistently running into a bottleneck for the domestic leg, where there is never saver award availability. Lufthansa has plenty of flights to ORD, IAD and YYZ but the connections, even though they are nearly empty per ExpertFlyer, have no saver space.

One peculiarity I noticed is that some economy awards are available at 25k but are not “saver” space and thus cannot be combined with my business class ticket. This makes no sense to me since that ticket costs the same as the domestic business saver award would cost if I had booked it standalone. The United rep told me this wasn’t an error (but I call it one for sure).

I’m to the point where I have to decide my travel itin to get to the airport. Can I bank on saver space becoming available for the domestic leg in the last 24h or is this not a good idea?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:58 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ccars2
I’m trying to rebook my MUC-CLE in biz for Tuesday for a less than horrendous itinerary (<18h and not at 8am). I am consistently running into a bottleneck for the domestic leg, where there is never saver award availability. Lufthansa has plenty of flights to ORD, IAD and YYZ but the connections, even though they are nearly empty per ExpertFlyer, have no saver space.

One peculiarity I noticed is that some economy awards are available at 25k but are not “saver” space and thus cannot be combined with my business class ticket. This makes no sense to me since that ticket costs the same as the domestic business saver award would cost if I had booked it standalone. The United rep told me this wasn’t an error (but I call it one for sure).

I’m to the point where I have to decide my travel itin to get to the airport. Can I bank on saver space becoming available for the domestic leg in the last 24h or is this not a good idea?
If my award has not cleared prior to 24 hours (make that well before), going back many years, I have NEVER cleared into domestic FC. With rare exceptions, unless I find domestic R space at booking I have resigned myself to flying domestic in coach and long Int'l legs in Biz, be it reward or buy coach and u/g with Miles and ca$h or with GPU

Didn't have to worry about that on YYJ-SFO as that was mostly the Devil's Chariot, but of course that will be dropped in January (IIRC).
Old Oct 7, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not an error, no matter what you call it. It's policy. In order to book an award at the saver price, you need saver availability all the way through. Saver business does not include everyday economy.

Well, if I search right now, I see a 70K award MUC-IAD-CLE, no economy segment necessary. (4:05 PM departure, 11:47 PM arrival). There seem to be quite a few other options, but they either have two stops or an overnight connection.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat; 2 MM; Amex Rewards; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Plat.
Need help making a change

I hope this is the right place to ask my question. If not, please move. I have two business saver seats in May, 2019 from Barcelona to Zurich to LAX to PSP. My problem is that we will be returning from Rome rather than Barcelona. When I called UA to change my departure city from Barcelona to Rome, (saver space is available) they could only do so by moving my business class on LX to coach. Obviously I rejected this option.

Would I be able to just delete the Barcelona to Zurich flight and keep the remaining flights? I could pay for cheap seats from Rome to Zurich to pick up the itinerary. I have place many seat alerts on EF, but so far nothing has cleared. As always, thanks for your help.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CalRef
I hope this is the right place to ask my question. If not, please move. I have two business saver seats in May, 2019 from Barcelona to Zurich to LAX to PSP. My problem is that we will be returning from Rome rather than Barcelona. When I called UA to change my departure city from Barcelona to Rome, (saver space is available) they could only do so by moving my business class on LX to coach. Obviously I rejected this option.

Would I be able to just delete the Barcelona to Zurich flight and keep the remaining flights? I could pay for cheap seats from Rome to Zurich to pick up the itinerary. I have place many seat alerts on EF, but so far nothing has cleared. As always, thanks for your help.
In general, the current UA requirements are that all partner segments on the itinerary must have current availability in order to make an award change -- they treat it basically as a new booking.

I'd watch for award seats from FCO to PSP (or at least FCO to LAX). If you don't find any, I'd look for that "cheap flight" from Rome to Barcelona instead of Rome to Zurich.

Luckily, May 2019 is a long way away. Keep watching and there's a good chance you'll find something you can live with.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CalRef
I have two business saver seats in May, 2019 from Barcelona to Zurich to LAX to PSP. My problem is that we will be returning from Rome rather than Barcelona. When I called UA to change my departure city from Barcelona to Rome, (saver space is available) they could only do so by moving my business class on LX to coach. Obviously I rejected this option.
Have you tried making the change online? I've been able to change partner awards with no saver business availability showing on the longhaul. I wasn't trying to change routing though, same route, differing connecting flight TPE-BKK.

Note that when doing this, there's always the risk it errors out and you wind up losing your flights. So you have to either be a little desperate or something of a gambler to give this a try.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Not a Polaris or partner observation, but several months ago, I booked a EWR-SLC roundtrip for last week of this month. There's only one nonstop per day, so tough to find saver space. Only full award cost (100k miles) available.

About two months out, the outbound (738 16F) flight cost dropped from 50k to 41k, so I requested (and received a refund). Yesterday, saver space opened for 25k, so I requested and got a refund of the balance. On the return (319 8F), I don't have much hope for saver space given the number of F seats but will keep checking. No science used other than just checking regularly.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:06 pm

Limited SFO-TYO first class award on ANA

I’ve noticed that the award seats on United site are next to none for the next few months till next year...and no last minute first class seats whatsoever. Anyone has idea why? Thanks !
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
High season is the most likely reason. Keep watching. Dont lose faith!
October - Autumn foliage viewing tourism season in Japan, MICE events (Meetings, Incentive Travel, Conventions and Exhibitions)
November - thanksgiving and tail end of autumn foliage
December - Christmas/new years
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:38 am

Has anyone had experience with Lufthansa economy award availability disappearing?

We have been waiting on some (delayed) bonus miles to post from Chase to book flights from Europe for this summer. In the meantime, Lufthansa unexpectedly announced their new non-stop FRA-AUS route. There was all kinds of X availability when the flights were uploaded last week. We are looking for three tickets in Mid-August. Yesterday, the summer availability disappeared. The flight launches on May 3 and there is availability every Wednesday and Friday through mid-June. From there, there are no flights available until Mid-August. Do you think these are just peak season awards getting snatched up or is something else going on? I just set up some expertflyer alerts with the hopes that they will open back up before booking some other routing with additional stops.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:14 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by stampchez
Has anyone had experience with Lufthansa economy award availability disappearing?

We have been waiting on some (delayed) bonus miles to post from Chase to book flights from Europe for this summer. In the meantime, Lufthansa unexpectedly announced their new non-stop FRA-AUS route. There was all kinds of X availability when the flights were uploaded last week. We are looking for three tickets in Mid-August. Yesterday, the summer availability disappeared. ....
When UA creates a new route, it seems initially there is a lot of award / u[grade space -- as if there is a template they are using. But in a few days, it appears UA goes back and remove much of that "excess" inventory. Don't know if LH has a similar process / pattern.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
When UA creates a new route, it seems initially there is a lot of award / u[grade space -- as if there is a template they are using. But in a few days, it appears UA goes back and remove much of that "excess" inventory. Don't know if LH has a similar process / pattern.
Not sure but the availability opened back up this morning and I got it booked!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.