Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: MiliagePlus
Hi jsloan,

Thanks for your quick reply. As I feared. In July I managed to find a business saver award form LHR to EWR no issues, but then SFO is that bit further on, and fewer direct flights I guess. If I did go for a partner award now and call up United to get waitlisted, what form of words would I use. Very new to this.

Cheers
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
If you were to start your trip from anywhere outside of England, Scotland, and Wales, you could avoid that tax; of course, then you'd have to get there first.
Indeed. Over in the BA Forum, this is known as an ex-EU and is used regularly to avoid the APD. If SAS is shown as available, then consider flying to CPH and starting from there. As reward tickets are one-ways, you can always return to LHR. So, if you do this, you merely have to spend say £90 on a one way to CPH, and several hours there (to ensure you make the unprotected connection and, in return, you save the APD which is probably about £270. You pays your money and takes your choice.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
APD is only £150, which makes it mildly dubious to pull this off, but definitely +EV if you also go visit your destination in Europe.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mattlwilliams
Thanks for your quick reply. As I feared. In July I managed to find a business saver award form LHR to EWR no issues, but then SFO is that bit further on, and fewer direct flights I guess. If I did go for a partner award now and call up United to get waitlisted, what form of words would I use. Very new to this.
No problem. . I'm actually a little surprised you were able to find saver space on LHR-EWR, but, as you point out, there's a lot more capacity on that route.

"Waitlist" is the correct terminology -- just pick out the UA flight that you'd prefer, and when you call, say "I'm booked from London to San Francisco on confirmation number ABC123. I'd like to waitlist for the United nonstop, flight UA123." You may need to hang up and call again a couple of times before you get an agent who's familiar with the process.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
LHR-SFO nonstop business on UA is a difficult award. I would snag the SAS. (Keeping mind advice above about how to avoid UK APD.)
Old Dec 21, 2018, 10:46 am

Programs: MiliagePlus
Thanks everyone. I'll booked SAS and the waitlist. Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:53 pm

Also keep in mind UA has a joint venture with EI for award flights so it might be possible to do DUB -> SFO on EI bypassing the APD and putting you closer to LON. Also taking off from DUB means you pre-clear at DUB and don't have to deal with the jungle that is immigration at SFO.

-James
Old Dec 21, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Silver
Also look at the new TAP flights to/from LIS
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:35 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Indeed. Over in the BA Forum, this is known as an ex-EU and is used regularly to avoid the APD. If SAS is shown as available, then consider flying to CPH and starting from there. As reward tickets are one-ways, you can always return to LHR. So, if you do this, you merely have to spend say £90 on a one way to CPH, and several hours there (to ensure you make the unprotected connection and, in return, you save the APD which is probably about £270. You pays your money and takes your choice.
It's my understand that the phrase "ex-EU" tends to be used more in the context of the fact that cheaper fares tend to be available from continental European cities such as AMS than fares to the same destination from BA's hub at LHR. These tend to amount to a significantly larger savings beyond the APD charge. If you're simply looking to avoid APD, journeys beginning in INV and JER don't include the charge.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Indeed. Over in the BA Forum, this is known as an ex-EU and is used regularly to avoid the APD.
Interesting, I always took ex-EU to mean UK fares given Brexit. Guess I'll need to update my vocabulary here!

-James
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:45 pm

I actually flew LHR-SFO earlier this week on an economy saver award. I wanted business too but it was not available at the time of booking. A business saver award did open up at least 24 hours before the flight. Maybe before but I only checked then. I ended up passing because I had Premium Plus. The plane went out with about 5 empty seats in Polaris. And eight non-revs up there.

Before I decided to stick with my seat I learned that the people at the airport had no idea how to do the upgrade. Perhaps I should have expected that...
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by daisyatl
I actually flew LHR-SFO earlier this week on an economy saver award. I wanted business too but it was not available at the time of booking. A business saver award did open up at least 24 hours before the flight. Maybe before but I only checked then. I ended up passing because I had Premium Plus. The plane went out with about 5 empty seats in Polaris. And eight non-revs up there.

Before I decided to stick with my seat I learned that the people at the airport had no idea how to do the upgrade. Perhaps I should have expected that...
You could have waitlisted a business class award when holding a confirmed economy award.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by VWang1111

You could have waitlisted a business class award when holding a confirmed economy award.
I did not think of that at the time. I rarely use miles. Also, I am kind of glad I didn't because I got the Premium Plus for free. That will not happen in the future. Business would have cost another $150 in tax plus 30K miles. Not that that is such a big deal and I definitely would have done it if I had regular economy plus.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by skycrab
No problem. Living in the UK, we're used to "double the air passenger duty on premium cabin seats", is this what you mean about the tax? That there was a differential between the tax on Y and the tax on C?
@skycrab, I made a mistake when I said that taxes had doubled. They hadn't.

To close the loop on this, I did track the UA flight and it went out with several empty C seats. Had they opened up seats even a few hours earlier I would have been able to snag one.

As for Swiss, while the food, service and beverages were all superior to UA, I found the seat very tight and uncomfortable, as were the lavatories. I would choose UA C each and every time over Swiss, though ymmv.

Happy New Year to all!
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:32 am

i am looking for J-class award travel from DC (ideally) to and from western europe (CDG, TXL, MUC, BRU, AMS all considered, multi-city routing) for late April/early May 2019. saver awards on UA and partners are largely gone -- am i too late or will these likely open later?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.