Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Joe Perniciaro
How close to a departure date does UA open up biz class award space?
UA may or may not open saver award space at any time. There are no specific windows, and certainly no guaranty it will ever open, even on a wide open flight.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: UA GS
IAH to Lim 2/15

Looks like tomorrow's flight is ZN9. I'm hoping to get saver business seats for the flight tomorrow and I'd like to think they'd open saver space given how empty the flight is. What time of day does United release seats typically? 24 hours before the flight or 12 Central? Appreciate any advice.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DRC1985
Looks like tomorrow's flight is ZN9. I'm hoping to get saver business seats for the flight tomorrow and I'd like to think they'd open saver space given how empty the flight is. What time of day does United release seats typically? 24 hours before the flight or 12 Central? Appreciate any advice.
There's no set schedule. It could happen at any time. Note that with PN0 PZ0, it's possible that there are any number of upgrades waitlisted.

If you have a saver economy award on this flight, why not call and waitlist for business?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by jsloan
There's no set schedule. It could happen at any time. Note that with PN0 PZ0, it's possible that there are any number of upgrades waitlisted.

If you have a saver economy award on this flight, why not call and waitlist for business?

Thanks for your help. As for WL'ing, I'd rather just pay the standard award price instead of risking enduring coach in united : )
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:28 am

SFO HNL award availability in business class

Looking for 3 tickets in J on United on SFO-HNL route. How likely it is that UA would open such availability close to departure date? From what I have seen, they are initially offering only Y when availability window opens up... Thanks
Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Very low probability. Maybe on one of the narrowbody flights, never on the 772. In general, expect to pay for F or fly in Y.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If you want saver awards, 3 off-season mid-week might be a remote possibility, but UA isn’t going to make them available until days before the flight. If you want to fly outside off-peak, midweek - either cough up the full miles or pay for it.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:25 pm

Posting mostly just to vent...but seeing a chart like this is quite infuriating due to it just picking up at the end of August like that...these are non stops from ZRH to ORD for this summer. This seems to be a pattern for all/most European cities with direct flights to ORD. The tough part was a good amount of days had zero flights available in J even on the earliest booking day possible.

Last edited by smurov; Feb 28, 2019 at 12:26 pm Reason: Typo
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by smurov
Posting mostly just to vent...but seeing a chart like this is quite infuriating due to it just picking up at the end of August like that...these are non stops from ZRH to ORD for this summer. This seems to be a pattern for all/most European cities with direct flights to ORD. The tough part was a good amount of days had zero flights available in J even on the earliest booking day possible.
Why is it infuriating? Summer is peak leisure travel to Europe vacation time. Why should UA have saver availability when it can have leisure passengers pay for upgrades / pay for business seating?

OR are you saying that the calendar has a bug and says it should have availability nonstop, but doesn't?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Why is it infuriating? Summer is peak leisure travel to Europe vacation time. Why should UA have saver availability when it can have leisure passengers pay for upgrades / pay for business seating?

OR are you saying that the calendar has a bug and says it should have availability nonstop, but doesn't?
I guess my frustration is more along the lines that I believe (and have seen others express the same sentiment), that there appears to be less availability for award tickets this year. I get it's summer peak time, but I've never had as many issues in years past to get good flights to where we needed to go during the summer in Europe.

Not a great feeling to give more allegiance to a certain carrier, open more credit cards, use select shopping portals, and stockpile miles, only to have inventory diminished over time and it be more difficult to actually use those precious miles on what you want...but I digress...
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I guess my frustration is more along the lines that I believe (and have seen others express the same sentiment), that there appears to be less availability for award tickets this year.
That makes sense given the strong economy and how full the flights are.....
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:54 pm

I guess my frustration is more along the lines that I believe (and have seen others express the same sentiment), that there appears to be less availability for award tickets this year.
I believe this comment has been made every year that I've been on FT

And I think it's generally true . . . award availability keeps getting worse and worse, with saver J TATL continuing to be extremely difficult.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I believe this comment has been made every year that I've been on FT

And I think it's generally true . . . award availability keeps getting worse and worse, with saver J TATL continuing to be extremely difficult.
Which then begs the question...at what point is doing the list of things I just wrote, resulting in stockpiles miles, worth it for the general public? I'm not talking about individuals, or individual destinations, but as a whole. I'm sure someone will respond with something along the lines of "who's forcing you to collect miles?" or something equally smart, but let's bypass that.

For me, its that they push the cards on us, they release new cards, they put out milage bonuses on portals, etc. - is there a point at which it is not going to work out favorably for the airlines to do that, because people start focusing on other things like cash back cards or something else? All stemming from a lack of availability?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:05 pm

Which then begs the question...at what point is doing the list of things I just wrote, resulting in stockpiles miles, worth it for the general public?
Don't have an answer for you.

I can say that extreme diligence (check daily) has continued to work for me in finding award space. For example, I caught some NH space last week that was available for less than 24 hours.

There's also a lot to be said for focusing credit card spend on transferable currencies, such as Amex MR and Marriott, so you can transfer to programs that still offer decent availability.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is there a point at which it is not going to work out favorably for the airlines to do that, because people start focusing on other things like cash back cards or something else? All stemming from a lack of availability?
Probably not. Capital One has been marketing its cash-back cards for years and doesn't really seem to have made much headway in the market.

If anything, the way that they're promoting the credit cards helps availability. Chase has a vested interest in people finding MileagePlus miles to be valuable. If UA cuts the program too much, they risk killing the golden goose. Besides which, UA actually has really good award availability for the awards the most people actually book -- domestic economy awards -- especially when you consider that many people will pay for domestic everyday awards. They might grumble, but they'll pay.

FlyerTalk is not representative of the flying public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.