Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:17 pm

A happy update -- I was finally able to snag a HKT-BKK-OSL-EWR saver award (90K). A bit of a long trek home, but glad to have found something at least. Curious to try SAS, just hope the infamous LN-RKP won't be in rotation by then.

Originally Posted by jbeans
Thanks! It just felt like the flights were all pulled overnight. One night I was looking at a few different options showing for a few different days, and the next morning nothing was coming up at all. But I shall keep checking, fingers crossed.
Originally Posted by Kacee
It could have been snagged. Award space on desirable carriers to desirable destinations tends not to last long. CA is much less desirable than the other carriers you mention, for a number of reasons.

Note that partner awards are always saver awards. Everyday awards are only offered on UA metal (despite what the website may seem to indicate).

Keep checking, as award space will often come and go. And when you see something you like, grab it.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Anyone else noticed that TPAC availability (business saver) is close to nil right now? Searching from now to May and I think it's the worst I've ever seen . . . both UA and *A partners.
It's pretty bad, I hope it improves. I searched the entire year and saw one UA saver business seat on HKG-SFO. Funny enough though, I booked SFO-NRT in ANA F via Avianca for late November because I assumed United would release no space, and then it just so happened that once United's booking window opened about a month later on that particular day they did have saver business on SFO-NRT and SFO-HND.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:19 am

I messed up and didn't book our flight back for our honeymoon in July (stilling kicking myself for this) when there was saver award availability on Austrian, Swiss, and Lufthansa in J, flying from ATH to ORD with one stop max. By the time I tried to book, there was no availability, not even in coach. Unfortunately, we can't be flexible with the date, we have to fly back on July 16. I waited over a month, checking over and over, and finally was able to book at saver award in coach on Lufthansa, at least to have some flight home.

I'd be fine paying the fee to switch flights when something else becomes available. I know some airlines release more seats 21 days out, but I can't find much on here or online that talks about Austrian and how they release award space. The seat map for the flight home is pretty empty now, but I know business travel is booked closer to the date. I also have Expert Flyer alert set.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

Edit: I have to book via United due to miles, hence why I'm posting here.

Last edited by smurov; Jan 7, 2019 at 11:43 am Reason: Added info
Old Jan 7, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Many options can open up in the last 14 days, even down to the final day. It's worth keeping an eye on things if you have a strong desire to change -- they will open the seats to awards if they think there's a substantial risk of flying empty.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Many options can open up in the last 14 days, even down to the final day. It's worth keeping an eye on things if you have a strong desire to change -- they will open the seats to awards if they think there's a substantial risk of flying empty.
And mid-July, there is definitely a reasonable chance that seats open.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:59 pm

And mid-July, there is definitely a reasonable chance that seats open.
I hope so...right now there is only one day in July with a business saver award in J for Austrian, while August has 18...(the VIE-ORD leg for reference - although we'd fly from ATH to VIE first).

Also, looking at Swiss, for two J award tickets from ZRH-ORD, there are 13 days available in June and 19 days available in August, but 0 in July...seems odd to me...

Last edited by smurov; Jan 7, 2019 at 3:42 pm Reason: Added Swiss Availability
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:13 pm

Same. I’ve been watching for 1-way Saver Business awards from FRA-IAD in early Aug and there is just nothing available. There are almost no Economy Saver awards either. Just being patient at this point.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I definitely find that there is less availability of premium cabin flights from SFO to major Asian cities (either on UA metal or partner airlines) like NRT or TPE than one year ago. (There used to be many EVA flights.) There are still plenty of economy tickets available but those would be very bad value for award redemption.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:06 pm

Can anyone confirm what I think I'm seeing in regards to J availability close to departure (~2 weeks)?

Trying to get 2 seats in J from DPS to ORD with preferred routing of DPS-BKK-TYO-ORD. It appears that availability opens up on the BKK-TYO and TYO-ORD routes pretty close to departure. Makes me nervous but I'm whiling to wait but also I want to put on my tin foil hat thinking United wants to cash in on the close in booking fees...
Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by thrillhouse763
... Makes me nervous but I'm whiling to wait but also I want to put on my tin foil hat thinking United wants to cash in on the close in booking fees...
Timing of partner award seat availability is controlled by the partner, not by UA.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Maybe this was reported up thread but has anyone noticed TAP space not showing on UA? I was looking at the new ORD-LIS flight and TAP and AC were showing it available in saver J...but not UA.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:50 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Yup, both TP and SQ aren't working for UA award tickets....
Old Jan 17, 2019, 3:27 am
Suspended

Domestic award ticket availability

Hello,
I wanted to book a biz class ticket from MAN -(SQ)- IAH -(UA)- SFO and there are availabilities for the international part (which is good). However, I am having trouble with finding an award ticket from IAH to SFO. When will UA release the award tickets? And should I call SQ to make the booking (searching on the website MAN-IAH is good, IAH-SFO in eco is good, in biz no saver) ?

It's my 1st time try to book a domestic SA ticket. If there are any hints, please suggest!
Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Are you trying to book as one ticket or two separate tickets?

Are you fixed on connecting through SFO to IAH?
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by not_freq_traveler
Hello,
I wanted to book a biz class ticket from MAN -(SQ)- IAH -(UA)- SFO and there are availabilities for the international part (which is good). However, I am having trouble with finding an award ticket from IAH to SFO. When will UA release the award tickets? And should I call SQ to make the booking (searching on the website MAN-IAH is good, IAH-SFO in eco is good, in biz no saver) ?

It's my 1st time try to book a domestic SA ticket. If there are any hints, please suggest!
Thanks!
You have to make the booking with the airline whose points you want to use. Since SQ rarely makes long-haul business class redemptions available to partners, you'd need to use SQ KrisFlyer miles to book this award.

That said, UA rarely offers domestic business class awards to anyone -- partners or otherwise -- more than a few days in advance, especially on a hub-to-hub route like IAH-SFO. It's likely that they will sell every business class seat on the plane, so they don't have any particular need to offer award tickets.

Your odds might be slightly better finding LHR-SFO, but that's a tough award too unless you're willing to travel off-peak times.

When are you looking to travel, and how flexible are in you in terms of dates?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.