Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:01 am
RNE

Dear Kim Jeff Un:

Oh, Shining Star of Willis Mountain, Beloved Father, Sun of Life, Great Marshal of the Revolution, Mastermind of the Continental Domination of United . . . I would gladly pay UA ≤$100 per award booking for a saver-award notification service (or a waitlist that actually works!) so I don't have to check for award availability every gosh darn day!

RNE, your unworthy, obedient servant who is less than a dog (a delicacy on a Pyongyang restaurant menu, mind you. ).

P.S. I hope your ankle feels better.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 747FC
Kacee, thanks for the review. What do you think of this scenario: I have confirmed J on AC, with a waitlist for a J flight on UA due to timing issues. What I really want is the GF on this UA flight. Do you have any experience of double-waitlisting for J and GF? Thanks.
IIRC, they are not supposed to let you do that, although these waitlist requests are handled really inconsistently so YMMV. (Although that's complicated enough, I'm not sure I'd have the patience even to try.)

I think what I would do is stick with what you've got, and check daily for GF. GF is often more likely to open than BF on the long-haul routes.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:12 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Kacee
Given that standard space can *usually* be booked very late, there's not necessarily a need to actually book that "back-up" award.
Actually, there is. You can save the seat you want with the standard award. I've had no issues getting the standard award switched to saver and keeping the same seat. Done so many times. If you wait until saver seats are available, you may find yourself I a middle seat, possibly even E-.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
Actually, there is. You can save the seat you want with the standard award. I've had no issues getting the standard award switched to saver and keeping the same seat. Done so many times. If you wait until saver seats are available, you may find yourself I a middle seat, possibly even E-.
Depends on fee sensitivity. It's pretty expensive to change that award from standard to saver if you are not elite, particularly if there's more than one passenger.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Depends on fee sensitivity. It's pretty expensive to change that award from standard to saver if you are not elite, particularly if there's more than one passenger.
Absolutely; this would get pretty expensive for lower-tier elites or GMs, who would have to pay redeposit and close-in fees. For me, it's one of the biggest advantages to being Plat. No fees, ever, on awards. Love it!
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
The typical scenario is you have a multi-segment saver J award and one of the segments is only available in Y. You ask to be placed on the waitlist for I/IN. This is relatively straightforward.
So if one can spot a saver award being available in at least one class of service for all segments of a trip, you can book the saver award in the highest class of service you want and that is available on at least one segment? You are are booked in the lower class in the other segments. You get waitlisted for the higher class in the other segments.

Last edited by JohnMacWW; Dec 4, 2014 at 2:17 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
There's nothing fraudulent whatsoever about getting a Standard award ticket and changing it to Saver when Saver space opens up. In fact, it's quite smart, takes advantage of Plat & up award benefits.
Not the same as:

......for buying the full fare ticket......and cancelling....
Old Dec 4, 2014, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Not the same as:

......for buying the full fare ticket......and cancelling....
You need to re-read those posts again...nobody was saying anything about actually paying $ for tickets.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA: 1K, AA: Gold, Hilton: Diamond, Marriott: Plat Premier, Hertz: Pres Circle
Finding SQ J Saver Reward via UA Mileage Plus Awards

Hey All - appreciate any info or guidance on this. I've got the reward ticket below booked. For some odd reason I can't get a direct ticket from PER-BKK on a Tuesday mid week in January, so I've got to double connect through SIN and BKK to get to Chiang Mai.

A few questions I'd welcome your thoughts to:

1.) Does SQ release more Business Tickets the closer you get to the date. I called the 1K line today and the CSR was able to see plenty of J SQ seats for flights less than 2 weeks out, but nothing really outside of that timeline. I'm hoping this has been others experiences too.

2.) If for some reason it doesnt work and I arrive in Singapore for my 5 hour layover off a Y ticket but am departing off a J ticket, I should be able to access the Business Silver Kris lounges at Changi rather than the KrisGold lounges for *A Gold card holders, right?

Thanks everyone. Really love this website and getting to chat with you all.

FLIGHT INFORMATION

Day, Date Flight Class Departure City and Time Arrival City and Time Aircraft Meal

Tue, 20JAN15 SQ216 X PERTH AU (PER) 2:05 AM SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE (SIN) 7:20 AM A-330

Flight operated by SINGAPORE AIRLINES.

Tue, 20JAN15 TG404 I SINGAPORE, SINGAPORE (SIN) 12:25 PM BANGKOK, THAILAND (BKK) 1:45 PM 777-300

Flight operated by THAI AIRWAYS.

Tue, 20JAN15 TG112 I BANGKOK, THAILAND (BKK) 3:05 PM CHIANG MAI TH (CNX) 4:15 PM A-330

Flight operated by THAI AIRWAYS.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 3:32 pm

For Australia and New Zealand, yes, that's the case.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:32 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
IIRC, they are not supposed to let you do that, although these waitlist requests are handled really inconsistently so YMMV. (Although that's complicated enough, I'm not sure I'd have the patience even to try.)

I think what I would do is stick with what you've got, and check daily for GF. GF is often more likely to open than BF on the long-haul routes.
Thanks for the input.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Lots of XN availability

Many of my waitlisted segments SFO-OGG, LAX-OGG and OGG-LAX for first half of June 2015 cleared over night/this morning. Interestingly I only see XN9, I do not see any X availability for these flights. Maybe UA is only making them available to elites.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:12 am
RNE

Anecdotally, I'm suddenly seeing "a lot" of saver award economy and BF upgrade availability to at least a couple of destinations in Western Europe, specifically MUC and FCO, in late August. (Could be other destinations; I didn't look.) This morning, I snapped up two BF upgrades (20,000 miles + $550 ea.) to MUC. There were three upgrades available. If you haven't checked recently, you might want to take a look for destinations/routings of interest to you. Could be something there now that wasn't there before.

Something that is not there now is the third available. I made an irreversible error on one of my bookings this morning; I had to cancel it and rebook the whole thing again. That ate up the third BF upgrade. Eight hours later, it's still gone. Thus, as others have noted, upgrades don't necessarily get put back on the store shelf after customers return them.

RNE, recalling Steve McGarrett to say "Book 'em, Danno!"
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
West coast to east coast early aug award?

Is this going to get better? SFO-JFK, nil, LAX-JFK, nil, YVR-ORD and YVR-IAH redeye only. Is it typical for United to release seats somewhat closer to August or am I stuck?

Last edited by chx1975; Dec 15, 2014 at 1:58 pm
Old Dec 15, 2014, 2:26 pm

Seldom are seats released as far out as I like to plan, and even more so now that US has left *A. Wait and see is often the name of the game these days with awards.

That said, you don't indicate exactly when and where you want to go. I see a fair amount of availability for YVR-EWR in August.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.