Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the master thread is UA MP Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) -when is it released?
Print Wikipost

United Saver Award/Upgrade Inventory (& partners) - when is it released? [Archive]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This is a common problem whether booking through .bomb or otherwise. Hard to find domestic connections in any class that attach to international business class awards(much less F space) - at least that is my experience from SFO.

The best course is just to book what you can find and then possibly change the ticket when additional space opens. Or if you can't find space you can always (do what I did) and book your own convenient connection to the TATL flight.

In an ideal world this would not be a problem but be happy you can find saver C space for the TATL part, which would cost you 2-3x more miles on DL or absurd surcharges of $500+ pp on BA, etc.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any idea on whether I could have a mix-cabin when booking through SQ and connecting to UA?

One ticket. Not really through IAH but that comes with SQ and that is way better than UA/DL/AA.

Agreed. Since UA forum has way more people and this may be a question more related to UA award ticket, I am posting here. How do you think about the chance for a UA eco award ticket?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 17, 2019 at 2:02 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 17, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by not_freq_traveler
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any idea on whether I could have a mix-cabin when booking through SQ and connecting to UA?
Mixed cabin awards are common. If you can get SQ,J then UA Y for IAH-SFO is fine. I almost never find UA domestic First when I look for long haul Business/First on UA or *A.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CIT85
Mixed cabin awards are common. If you can get SQ,J then UA Y for IAH-SFO is fine. I almost never find UA domestic First when I look for long haul Business/First on UA or *A.
But I cannot find the ticket on SQ. Should I call them for ticketing?

Last edited by not_freq_traveler; Jan 17, 2019 at 4:17 pm
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by not_freq_traveler
But I cannot find the ticket on SQ. Should I call them for ticketing?
SQ question. That's an active forum, you should ask there.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 10:22 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Is O now for premium economy revenue seats? LH 455 SFO - FRA J4 C0 D0 Z0 P0 O4 A0 R0 Y6 B6 M0 U0 H0 Q6 V6 W6 S0 T0 L0 K0
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Is O now for premium economy revenue seats? ..
Yes, ON is EveryDay award, RN is Saver Award -- all Premium Plus / Premium Economy
Decoding the alphabet soup - fare buckets for UA
Old Jan 18, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
This is a common problem whether booking through .bomb or otherwise. Hard to find domestic connections in any class that attach to international business class awards(much less F space) - at least that is my experience from SFO.

The best course is just to book what you can find and then possibly change the ticket when additional space opens. Or if you can't find space you can always (do what I did) and book your own convenient connection to the TATL flight.

In an ideal world this would not be a problem but be happy you can find saver C space for the TATL part, which would cost you 2-3x more miles on DL or absurd surcharges of $500+ pp on BA, etc.
Only difference is AA's own metal availability (no surcharges) is very easy to come by with very few exceptions (ICN comes to mind). UA's on the other hand... lol.
DL is a different story though.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Only difference is AA's own metal availability (no surcharges) is very easy to come by with very few exceptions (ICN comes to mind). UA's on the other hand... lol.
DL is a different story though.
Yes, I deliberately skipped AA because it's an unpredictable option. From what I've read, AA periodically opens up business class saver award seat inventory on its own metal - including peak periods - but the timing is unpredictable. In 2016 we snagged 4 C seats @100K each RT from west coast but obviously this is not something that can be done every day. We did not have any trouble snagging the AA connecting flights but I don't know if that's typical.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:28 pm

Award fare availability

Hi All,

I'm a newbie to all this so please forgive me for the basic question. I have the MileagePlus Club card and have been saving my miles forever for my wife and I's 10 year anniversary. We would like to use our miles to fly business class to Kenya Christmas 2019. There are few Saver Awards available right now 11 months out (mostly Ethiopian Airlines). Should I wait and hope for more saver award options or is it better to book what is available this early? TIA

Last edited by avezzx2; Jan 31, 2019 at 10:34 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
For holiday travel, I'd recommend jumping on availability as soon as it shows up, if it fits in your schedule. No guarantee more will open up later
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
For holiday travel, I'd recommend jumping on availability as soon as it shows up, if it fits in your schedule. No guarantee more will open up later
I agree 100%. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

OP -- you can always monitor for better options and change to them if they become available. The change fee is $75 per ticket, or less if you have status, and can be waived if a schedule change occurs.

ETA: Note: It can be difficult to change award reservations unless there's availability on all partner segments. It may be a good idea to book two one-way flights unless you plan to make use of the Excursionist Perk. That way, you can change your outbound flight without needing to worry about your return, and vice versa. Note that you would have to pay twice as much to cancel the tickets if that became necessary.

Last edited by jsloan; Jan 31, 2019 at 10:47 pm
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Here's a thread for award bookings on Ethiopian: Ethiopian Airlines (ET) award questions / experiences
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
You didn't mentioned Business class or Economy? For business class, to NBO (and other parts of Africa), often you see SA, LH, and LX available but within 2 weeks of departure, so if you are looking for holiday travel there is no guarantee that will happen. ET is good in Business Class, lower end of average in economy. If you're booking business I wouldn't hesitate to book ET now. Definitely advise the same as an above poster, book it as 2 separate one ways unless you're planning on using the Excursionist Perk. That gives you more flexibility if something more desirable opens up at the last minute, though does subject you to double cancellation fees if it comes to that.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 4:32 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
I was able to book TG IAH-IST-NBO about 6 months out for a trip this past November. Flight/Service was OK. Biggest plus was the fantastic TG lounge in IST. The new Istanbul airport, SAW, should be even better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.