TK status match (2017 onwards)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 9, 19, 4:44 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: CoweyB
Wiki Link
Update January 2017: Recent reports indicate the unofficial status match programme is running reasonably smoothly.

TK will only match Star Alliance Gold (they are clamping down on matching other *G), Skyteam Elite Plus, Oneworld Emerald members, Emirates and Etihad Gold/Platinum and El Al Platinum/Top Platinum. Other, more exotic, gold card holders are out of luck. Please report your experience in this thread.

It appears that status matches are only granted once per lifetime, so think carefully before requesting if you might not re-qualify.

Please note that the only way to contact TK is now via the website

2/6/2015 new info from TK
We have received your message that you sent to our unit on 20 January 2015. Please be informed that when you claim your first flight with Turkish Airlines or other Star Alliance members to your Miles&Smiles account, your card will be sent to your address automatically.

On the otherhand, we would like to remind you that you can also get your original Miles&Smiles Card from Card Press Desk at Ataturk Airport International Terminal between 07.30 A.M and 09.45 PM. The location of Card Press desk is between A and B Check-in counters.

4/7/2015
Adding this Step-by-Step guide with screenshots to TK Status Match
http://dcta.boardingarea.com/2015/02...-status-match/

26/7/2015 - Jerry
TK asks for Elite card scan AND Account activity within last 2 months, so it's best if you have some activities!!
Timeline can range from few hours to few days, be patient!

21/9/2015 - Neil791
For those reporting successful matches, can you please post your results as follows so others can estimate their wait times, success rates

02/11/2015 - flolee
It looks like TK might also ask you for a scan of your Passport now. So if you are in a hurry better submit it right away in the first place with all the other documents.

Date Requested
Current Airline and Status (i.e. AB TopBonus, AA Plat, etc)
Information submitted (i.e. physical card scan, activity statement, etc)
Any replies received other than confirmation
Date Confirmation Received

03/01/2016 - zap7
Multiple reports from December 16th 2015 onwards state that TK now only grants a match to 4 months "elite trial", requiring 1 international TK flight during the 4 months following the match to extend it to one year and 15000 k TK status miles during that year to extend elite status to 2 years:
Welcome Miles&Smiles Turkish Airlines' advantageous Frequent Flyer Programme. Elite card trial period will be valid for 4 months. As of start date of elite membership within 4 months trial period one international Turkish Airlines flight should be realised for extending your card validity date to 1 year, if 15.000 status miles accumulate at the end of the first year elite membership will extend 1 year more and the total validity date will be 2 years.
04/11/2017 - CoweyB. TK has clarified that once a status match is given any miles collected during the first year of the match do not count for renewal - despite the email suggesting that 25,000 miles collected in the first year will secure renewal. TK has said that it is necessary to collect 37,500 in the second year to maintain Elite status for a further two years once the period of the status match ends.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 6, 18, 12:03 am
  #346  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 86
After my status match in 2016, I reached 42000 Miles in 2017, enough to requalify till 2020. I only needed 37500, so I assumed the 4500 excess miles would count towards the next target. But my account now says 0% reached. Is this correct?
fwerfel is offline  
Old Feb 6, 18, 4:49 am
  #347  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hamburg / Jerusalem
Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite
Posts: 1,275
Originally Posted by Granite64 View Post
You have a screenshot of that or something?

Edit: I will ask them on Twitter, I did the first 15k on TK but I didn't fly 25k in the first year so my statement said: 'Card criteria has not been fullfilled in the first year.'
So my guess is that I need 37500 in two years, but my card is only valid until 9/2018..
Here is a screen shot of my recent statement (from today, in fact). I got my status matched back in Nov. 2016 and my status was extended for another year (after a long correspondence with TK because the 15K miles weren't solely on TK metal) until the end of Nov. 2018.



Good luck.
Innocent Abroad is offline  
Old Feb 6, 18, 6:31 am
  #348  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: China
Programs: Oneworld Sapphire, Star Alliance Gold
Posts: 444
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad View Post
Here is a screen shot of my recent statement (from today, in fact). I got my status matched back in Nov. 2016 and my status was extended for another year (after a long correspondence with TK because the 15K miles weren't solely on TK metal) until the end of Nov. 2018.



Good luck.
Thanks a lot, I matched back in May 2016. I asked them on Twitter and they made a file for me and they said customer support will contact me..; lets see..
Granite64 is offline  
Old Feb 6, 18, 12:29 pm
  #349  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,095
Originally Posted by fwerfel View Post
After my status match in 2016, I reached 42000 Miles in 2017, enough to requalify till 2020. I only needed 37500, so I assumed the 4500 excess miles would count towards the next target. But my account now says 0% reached. Is this correct?
All 42000 miles should count towards a qualification for Elite Plus, but that requires 80K within 12 months.

Otherwise any excess miles don't matter for a Elite re-qualification, which will next come up in 2019 for you.
craigthemif is online now  
Old Feb 6, 18, 4:49 pm
  #350  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto
Programs: AA ExP, TK GOLD, AMEX PLAT
Posts: 276
I think that is the point. You MUST do 15k on TK metal. This is why you had issues. I made sure I had 15k and only flew TK so this would not be an issue.
Thanks for print screen. I will check my account.

Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad View Post
Here is a screen shot of my recent statement (from today, in fact). I got my status matched back in Nov. 2016 and my status was extended for another year (after a long correspondence with TK because the 15K miles weren't solely on TK metal) until the end of Nov. 2018.



Good luck.
altitude75k is offline  
Old Feb 6, 18, 5:46 pm
  #351  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Hamburg / Jerusalem
Programs: BA Silver, TK Elite
Posts: 1,275
Originally Posted by altitude75k View Post
I think that is the point. You MUST do 15k on TK metal. This is why you had issues. I made sure I had 15k and only flew TK so this would not be an issue.
Thanks for print screen. I will check my account.
Back in the day the 15K status miles requirement was not restricted to TK metal; then they changed the rules
Innocent Abroad is offline  
Old Feb 6, 18, 10:58 pm
  #352  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SFO, BRU, ADB
Programs: TK Elite, BA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 600
Is anyone able to buy Status miles on their site right now? Was working for me a few days ago but not anymore.
Membership expires at the end of the month and want to purchase the missing miles asap.
Mict is offline  
Old Feb 7, 18, 3:48 am
  #353  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: TK E+, RJ G
Posts: 1,004
Originally Posted by Mict View Post
Is anyone able to buy Status miles on their site right now? Was working for me a few days ago but not anymore.
Membership expires at the end of the month and want to purchase the missing miles asap.
Tried once to buy miles and couldnít. Called the call center and they couldnít buy too. After a few hours with no apparent reason I was able to buy online.
flyerby is offline  
Old Feb 8, 18, 12:40 am
  #354  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SFO, BRU, ADB
Programs: TK Elite, BA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 600
Originally Posted by flyerby View Post


Tried once to buy miles and couldnít. Called the call center and they couldnít buy too. After a few hours with no apparent reason I was able to buy online.
I contacted their support and they say I can't buy status miles because I already fulfilled my requirements to renew my membership
am at 31.5k miles on my second year of the match out of the 37.5k required, and the renewal counter clearly say 85% progress on the renewal.
They said I am good because I did more than 25k miles the first year of my match and my status will renew because of that.

My status expires in 20 days, I will update here with what happens but if it's not renewed even though I was willing to pay the missing status miles to renew it, I will be pissed.
Mict is offline  
Old Feb 9, 18, 4:24 pm
  #355  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston, USA
Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Posts: 843
Hi there,
I am very confused about the status renewal and I hope someone can confirm if my understanding
is correct.
Status matched in 2016. (US based) Did 25K miles in 2016 so got Elite Status until end of 2018.
Did 25K again in 2017, does that mean the status will now be until end of 2019 ? or is it 2020 ?

Thanks in advance...F.A.
flyalways is offline  
Old Feb 10, 18, 2:14 am
  #356  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SFO, BRU, ADB
Programs: TK Elite, BA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 600
Originally Posted by flyalways View Post
Hi there,
I am very confused about the status renewal and I hope someone can confirm if my understanding
is correct.
Status matched in 2016. (US based) Did 25K miles in 2016 so got Elite Status until end of 2018.
Did 25K again in 2017, does that mean the status will now be until end of 2019 ? or is it 2020 ?

Thanks in advance...F.A.
That's the grey area. They have been saying that you need 37.5k miles in your second year only to renew for 2 more years for awhile.

But having done 26k miles first year + 31.5k miles in second year, I pressed very hard on their support to know if my status will be renewed.
At first, I got the generic answer saying no, that I need 37.5k miles in the second year (and second year only).

But after pressing hard and explaining clearly that I met both the conditions (25k in year 1 or 37.5k in BOTH years), they finally said that yes my status will be renewed. (Although the site says I am still missing 6k miles).
But I guess we will find out very soon as my expiry date is at the end of the month and I will post an update here on what happens.

Also I think the fact that I speak Turkish really helped because I think their English is terrible and they just copy paste generic answers meanwhile if you contact them in Turkish, they will answer with a personalized answer about your account and next steps.
Mict is offline  
Old Feb 18, 18, 4:46 pm
  #357  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Belgium
Programs: Gold Star Alliance,IHG Spire Ambassador, Starwood, Hilton Honor Diamond, Silver Accor, Diamond Hyatt
Posts: 68
I got a status match back in 2016 and got it only one year as I did not complete the required miles for the second year. At the moment I have classic plus until 05/18. Does anyone try a second match or it is not allowed ?

thank you
Lotfi070 is offline  
Old Feb 19, 18, 2:12 am
  #358  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Programs: TK E+, RJ G
Posts: 1,004
Originally Posted by Lotfi070 View Post
Does anyone try a second match or it is not allowed ?
Not allowed. Never found the match to be very compelling. The regular way is a bit of an effort in the first year but then it’s quite easy to maintain.
flyerby is offline  
Old Mar 2, 18, 9:06 pm
  #359  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: SFO, BRU, ADB
Programs: TK Elite, BA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, HHonors Gold
Posts: 600
Ok update, my status has been renewed for another 2 years!

I did 26k miles the first year of my match and 32k miles on the second year. (58k within 2 years)

Just posting this here as it was not clear if you needed 37.5k in your second year only to renew in the case of a status match. So now you know, you don't actually need 37.5k on your second year only!
BUT from what I understood by talking with them on Twitter, my status got renewed because I hit 25k+ miles on my first year and not because I did 37.5k+ miles within the two years. And my understanding is that in order to renew in the case of a status match, you need 25k miles on year one OR 37.5k on year 2 (not within 2 years as for non status match holders).

Hope this is helpful.
PeaSouper and Granite64 like this.
Mict is offline  
Old Mar 11, 18, 12:12 am
  #360  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 66
DP: If anyone reaches the qualification criteria of Elite Plus within the extended first year of Elite (obtained by Elite Challenge) or even during the 4-month challenge period...He will immediately be upgrade to Elite Plus valid for two years since that day and all previous settings/system policy of Elite Challenge will be fully overwritten. Tested.
LuoboTiX is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread