Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Excellent question. AFAIK, the program is designed for normal tourist passport holders, since official/diplomatic travelers already received expedited processing. However, it's certainly worth asking at your interview.
I will. I don't recall seeing an expedited line for official/diplomat passports at IAD, but because I'm new to the official travel business I may have missed it the first time (probably because it was blocked by the exceptionally long lines).
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)
Somewhat related as I came to GE via NEXUS ...

At my NEXUS interview the CBP officer asked if I traveled under a different passport (since I was born outside the US). I told him that I did not and that the US was my only active passport. He advised that if I did acquire a second passport from another country, to come in and add it to my profile. He noted I could travel under both no problem but just need to register it as soon as it is issued. I would assume the same goes for GE.

In your case, I agree with what ESpen36 notes - official passports may not be eligible (I didn't see any documentation about those the last time I checked). I also agree that the time/place to ask is your interview. Bring the additional passport there.

As for the expedited line (at least for JFK), I don't recall seeing one there either. I could be wrong as I don't spend too much time in line!
I would assume you could just go to the head of the line or use the GE line and go directly to the CBP officer behind one of the kiosks. A good questions to ask the people in the red jackets at JFK.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
I will. I don't recall seeing an expedited line for official/diplomat passports at IAD, but because I'm new to the official travel business I may have missed it the first time (probably because it was blocked by the exceptionally long lines).
If you are talking about the main customs hall (I never connect at IAD, always a terminus), diplomats and GE members turn right to go down the hall instead of entering the main lines once you get off of the mobile lounge (IIRC - have not terminated in IAD in almost a year).
Old Mar 9, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
If you are talking about the main customs hall (I never connect at IAD, always a terminus), diplomats and GE members turn right to go down the hall instead of entering the main lines once you get off of the mobile lounge (IIRC - have not terminated in IAD in almost a year).
I saw the GE kiosk, but nothing special for diplomats. I should also be clear that I have an official passport, not a diplomatic one, which means I don't get all the no-search privileges that many diplomats are afforded.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:25 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by ktakahashi
Somewhat related as I came to GE via NEXUS ...

At my NEXUS interview the CBP officer asked if I traveled under a different passport (since I was born outside the US). I told him that I did not and that the US was my only active passport. He advised that if I did acquire a second passport from another country, to come in and add it to my profile. He noted I could travel under both no problem but just need to register it as soon as it is issued. I would assume the same goes for GE.
I wonder if the second passport is actually more important to the Canadians (for a US citizen) than CBP, as the US officially has no recognition of any other citizenships.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by N1120A
I wonder if the second passport is actually more important to the Canadians (for a US citizen) than CBP, as the US officially has no recognition of any other citizenships.
I think that would be the case independantly but being that this is a joing US-Canada project, I think they have to live with it.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:07 pm

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
I submitted this question on their online system:

"I'm a Global Entry participant and have a suggestion regarding this question: "Do you have any fruits, vegetables, plants, insects, meats or products containing meat, dairy products, animals or animal/wildlife products, disease agents, cell cultures, snails, soil; or have you visited a farm/ranch/pasture outside the United States?"

I think the question "...containing...dairy products" is too general. Bread, cookies, chocolate, and many, other things contain dairy ingredients. I feel compelled to click Yes, when I have chocolate as it has dairy in it. But I'm pretty sure this isn't the type of dairy you are asking about.

Could this question be fine-tuned to exclude prepared items such as chocolate?"

And received this answer:

"You are supposed to declare all food you are bringing into the US even if it is allowed including items like bread, cookies, and chocolate. The CBP officers will probably not to see the food, but you still need to declare it so the officers can decide. I hope this explanation helps."

What do you folks think, is this true? I don't remember being told "all food".
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by lotalota
I submitted this question on their online system:

"I'm a Global Entry participant and have a suggestion regarding this question: "Do you have any fruits, vegetables, plants, insects, meats or products containing meat, dairy products, animals or animal/wildlife products, disease agents, cell cultures, snails, soil; or have you visited a farm/ranch/pasture outside the United States?"

I think the question "...containing...dairy products" is too general. Bread, cookies, chocolate, and many, other things contain dairy ingredients. I feel compelled to click Yes, when I have chocolate as it has dairy in it. But I'm pretty sure this isn't the type of dairy you are asking about.

Could this question be fine-tuned to exclude prepared items such as chocolate?"

And received this answer:

"You are supposed to declare all food you are bringing into the US even if it is allowed including items like bread, cookies, and chocolate. The CBP officers will probably not to see the food, but you still need to declare it so the officers can decide. I hope this explanation helps."

What do you folks think, is this true? I don't remember being told "all food".
Sounds like a response for the blue/white form not the GE screen ... the blue/white form asks for food, the GE screen is more specific. I'd shoot it back and clarify you're talking about the GE questionaire and that it differs from the blue/white form. Until we hear differently then, I'll be getting X's
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:46 pm

Will do.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 7:44 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by drewguy
I just registered for Global Entry. I didn't see any place for this in the application--I have a personal passport and an official passport (for use while on US government business). Can I "register" both passports for use under the program? I can't use my official passport for personal travel. And I'm not supposed to use by personal passport for official travel. (Although I'm not sure whether when reentering the US it matters.)

Can I register both at the interview or at some other time?
I think I touched on this very early in the thread (i.e. months ago, but I can't find the reply);since it has been so long I re-tell what I was advised:

During my Global Entry interview I asked about adding my official passport to the system. I was told NO, not because it was Official, but because you could only have ONE PASSPORT in the system at a time (meaning if you have a second 5 year passport, or a no fee, like for Israeli travel vs Mid-east, you could not add that either). I asked about paying the 100$ and reapplying on the second Officia Passport, and was told at the time they didn't know for sure, but he would advise against it, as all of them are linked anyway, and it could cause problems. I will say this was just after the program started, and at a Houston IAH interview (back when Houston was one of the three original airports in the program). However, he did say if I had applied with just my Official Passport initially that would be fine. Maybe this has changed, maybe those on gov't travel don't care enough to do it. YMMV,

I think having the Official Passport helped speed up my interview, along with a fairly high gov't clearance security clearance, but that was never made official to me by an agent. I can tell you I was approved online instantly and my interview lasted less than 10 minutes, including the time the agent took to copy my documents. I also have an Italian passport, and they don't care-the US does not prohibit dual citzenship, but of course you must enter the US on a US passport if you have one.

Good luck.

Ciao,
FH
Old Mar 9, 2010, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
Originally Posted by ktakahashi
As for the expedited line (at least for JFK), I don't recall seeing one there either. I could be wrong as I don't spend too much time in line!
I would assume you could just go to the head of the line or use the GE line and go directly to the CBP officer behind one of the kiosks. A good questions to ask the people in the red jackets at JFK.
When I flew into JFK last night the GE line was in the middle of the hall. I think it used to be at the far right, with the staff line.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:19 pm

Well, I replied with this:

"My question was regarding the question asked to Global Entry participants. Global Entry participants do not fill out a 6059B form. Pre-approved participants who have undergone a rigorous background check and been interviewed by a CBP officer present their machine-readable U.S. passport or permanent resident card, submit their fingerprints for biometric verification, and make a customs declaration at the kiosk’s touch-screen. Upon successful completion of the Global Entry process at the kiosk, the traveler is issued a transaction receipt and directed to baggage claim and the exit, unless chosen for a selective or random secondary referral.

Question 11(b) on the 6059B form requires a declaration of "food". The question currently at the touch-screen Global Entry kiosk asks "Do you have any fruits, vegetables, plants, insects, meats or products containing meat, dairy products, animals or animal/wildlife products, disease agents, cell cultures, snails, soil; or have you visited a farm/ranch/pasture outside the United States?" This question does not specify "food", only specific types of food.

In light of this, could you provide greater clarification on my question regarding dairy? In my initial question, I suggested that this was perhaps too broad as many things include dairy products, such as chocolate, bread, and cookies."

And got this:

"According to the Global Entry office in San Francisco you should declare all food you are bringing into the US even if you believe it is allowed. The questions you answer at a Global Entry kiosk are supposed to be the same as the ones on a normal customs declaration, CBP Form 6059B, and that form asks about all food. Some airports may have their own local policy on items such as cookies or chocolate, but it always best to declare them until you are sure you will not get in trouble for having them in your luggage. If you have any other questions please write back."

I don't believe that is true that the questions on the touch screen are the same as the form. Is there anyone traveling soon through a kiosk who can verify this?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe if someone can get a picture of the screen at the kiosk and show its different than the form .... lotalota - thanks for pursuing clarification for all of us!
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Maybe this would help. I wrote this email to CBP after I received an email from them because of a problem I experienced using one of the GE kiosk:

Thank you for inquiring about the difficulty I experienced at the GE kiosk on Feb. 22, 2010 at ORD. I had difficulty with having the correct pressure on my fingers on the scan. Before I had time to correct the problem, the machine proceeded to the next screen and at the end, I received the receipt with the "X" so I had to see the CBP officer at the regular immigration counter. It would have been much better if the machine will allow more time for the fingers to be placed correctly and adjusted or not go to the next screen before the finger scanning could be verified.

I want to congratulate CBP on the Global Entry program as it is tremendously convenient and have enabled me to make tight connections even with a late arriving aircraft.

I would also like to make a suggestion on the question that deals with food. As the question stands, anything edible would have to be declared. I know candy, mints, chocolate, etc., especially if I had purchased them in the U.S. but still have in my possession on re-entry, are allowed but as it is now, I would have to declare "Yes" on the question of food and will automatically get a "X" on my receipt. If the questions are narrowed down to the specific food items that are prohibited, it would save having to go to the regular Immigration counter even if I just have a "Kit Kat" chocolate bar in my possession. I hope you will consider my suggestions. Thank you.

This was the email reply I received:

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on the Global Entry program. We apologize for the difficulties that you encountered while using the Global Entry kiosks to enter the United States on February 22, 2010. On this date the kiosk failed to grant you passage, because your fingerprints were not properly recognized; the images captured by the scanner on this date were of poor quality.

We endeavor to improve the quality of the program and are examining alternate means of verifying the identity of program members. In the interim, please ensure that your four fingers are properly placed on the fingerprint scanner when the images are captured. This will allow the scanner to obtain a more accurate image of your fingerprints. We are also making modifications to the system to allow for a second attempt at fingerprint capture, should the first attempt fail.

Please note that if you get an “X” on your Global Entry receipt, you are to proceed to the nearest primary inspections officer (the nearest booth) to be processed. Current CBP policy gives you “head of the line” privileges. You would then be processed by the officer in the booth expeditiously. We have reminded our officers of the proper procedures when processing Global Entry members.

In addition, please note that the question on the declaration screen that deals with food has been recently amended. The question now asks:
“Do you have any fruits, vegetables, plants, insects, meats or products containing meat, dairy products, animals or animal/wildlife products, disease agents, cell cultures, snails, soil; or have you visited a farm/ranch/pasture outside the United States?”

Regards,
XXXXXXXXXX (Name deleted per FT rules)
Program Manager
Office of Field Operations
U. S. Customs and Border Protection
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting - so it's likely a change that the person lotalota is communicating with (and the GE officer she consulted) aren't aware of ...

lotalota - is it a particular station you're working with or just generally CBP? I wonder if we try different airports if they have their own contact information, etc what kind of answers we could collect

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.