Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Okay -- I'm now at the 'scheduling' phase
Congratulations! The wait can be annoying, but the rewards are great!

As far as the CBP sticker on your passport, perhaps you should ask the interviewing officer if they have a method to sticker placement...
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do I have to check GOES periodically, or will they send me an email update on my status?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by birdstrike
Do I have to check GOES periodically, or will they send me an email update on my status?
You will receive an email, alerting you of a status update to your account.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 12:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
You will receive an email, alerting you of a status update to your account.
Thanks!
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
As far as the CBP sticker on your passport, perhaps you should ask the interviewing officer if they have a method to sticker placement...
I'll try to remember to ask about that. Do I have to have a sticker?

Also, what happens when I'm traveling with family members who don't have GE? Usually we fill out a common customs form. What happens under GE? Do I not use GE, or can they skip with me to the front of the line?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:28 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi,

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Also, what happens when I'm traveling with family members who don't have GE? Usually we fill out a common customs form. What happens under GE? Do I not use GE, or can they skip with me to the front of the line?
From the Global Entry Program Overview:

*Note: If enrolled parents are traveling with children under 14 and clearing as a family, they may not use the kiosk and must clear using the regular passport control process.
(bolding mine)

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/tr...iscription.xml

As for having the sticker, you're most likely ok if all goes well ... but if you get the X, they may be looking for it.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
Hi,

From the Global Entry Program Overview:

(bolding mine)

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/tr...iscription.xml

As for having the sticker, you're most likely ok if all goes well ... but if you get the X, they may be looking for it.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
What about it your children are over 14 or you are traveling with a spouse who is not GE? Can you use the crew line?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by birdstrike
Thanks!
FWIW, this is the email that I received both when I was conditionally approved, and again immediately after my interview in MCO...

Dear GOES User,

GOES ACCOUNT INFORMATION

User ID: xxxxxxxxxxxx

There has been a recent change to the status of your application.
Please login to your GOES account for more information.

This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept
incoming email. Please do not reply to this message.

Thank you,
Customs and Border Protection
Old Mar 4, 2010, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, this is the email that I received both when I was conditionally approved, and again immediately after my interview in MCO...

Dear GOES User,

GOES ACCOUNT INFORMATION

User ID: xxxxxxxxxxxx

There has been a recent change to the status of your application.
Please login to your GOES account for more information.

This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept
incoming email. Please do not reply to this message.

Thank you,
Customs and Border Protection
Thank you. This will save me quite a bit of time.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Further to the "food declaration" discussion earlier, I received this info today in an email reply from CBP about earlier problems I had with the fingerprint scanner:

In addition, please note that the question on the declaration screen that deals with food has been recently amended. The question now asks:

“Do you have any fruits, vegetables, plants, insects, meats or products containing meat, dairy products, animals or animal/wildlife products, disease agents, cell cultures, snails, soil; or have you visited a farm/ranch/pasture outside the United States?”

This is a great improvement to the general questions that were asked before where you virtually had to declare anything that is edible.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:14 pm

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
[QUOTE=wilp888;13518682]
“Do you have any fruits, vegetables, plants, insects, meats or products containing meat, dairy products, animals or animal/wildlife products, disease agents, cell cultures, snails, soil; or have you visited a farm/ranch/pasture outside the United States?”
QUOTE]

This is what I saw last Sunday at DTW. I don't like the "dairy products" as I think that's too general. A lot of food products contain a dairy ingredient. Cookies, breads, and of course, chocolates.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)
Now if that changed was mirrored on the NEXUS kiosks ... that would be better.

Small steps, small steps.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA
[QUOTE=lotalota;13518725]
Originally Posted by wilp888
QUOTE]

This is what I saw last Sunday at DTW. I don't like the "dairy products" as I think that's too general. A lot of food products contain a dairy ingredient. Cookies, breads, and of course, chocolates.
I consider chocolate not a dairy product, it does contain dairy like lots of other products. If they question me I will cite Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dairy_product
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by lotalota

You should email your concerns to them. I find the people in charge of the GE program very responsive and they take the time to respond to individual emails and it's not a canned response.^
Old Mar 5, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: Lapsed DL North PE, now nothing
Do you have the correct email to send my thoughts to? I dug around on the CBP site for a while and couldn't find one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.