Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:55 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by asya999
Let me illustrate: I have GE, I had it within 10 days of applying. Mr. 999 applied to Nexus. It's taken him months to try to schedule the interview. First he couldn't get an appointment at the times he was already scheduled to go to Canada. Then he couldn't get a reasonably priced flight at the time an appointment was available.

At this point, I'm encouraging him to book a cheap trip to SEA to interview there but they are only open M-F and he can't take off from work. YVR is open on weekends but the fares there have gone insane.

So, five months after being conditionally approved he's still scheduling and re-scheduling his interview, all to save $50 vs just applying for Global Entry (or to save $100 if he was going to get both eventually).
If he is going to be at a NEXUS airport anyway, he should go to the NEXUS office and see if they can fit him in. I did my interview several hours early. Obviously YMMV, but it couldn't hurt. Just make sure he has his approval, Birth certificate, passport, etc. with him.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Yeah. It can take a week or two.
It's been a week for me so far.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by mechteach
It's been a week for me so far.
You're halfway there.

I think it took 10 days for me to get approved. I don't remember anymore, but I'm sure it's archived somewhere in this thread if you look at my post dates.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Let me illustrate: I have GE, I had it within 10 days of applying. Mr. 999 applied to Nexus. It's taken him months to try to schedule the interview. First he couldn't get an appointment at the times he was already scheduled to go to Canada. Then he couldn't get a reasonably priced flight at the time an appointment was available....

Well, why not just claim a flight award to fly up to YYZ? That's what I did, because fares on NYC-YYZ are ridiculously expensive. But for 25,000 RDMs, some taxes, and the $50 enrollment fee, I got my NEXUS membership, and free GE membership. And trust me, the membership pays for itself the first few times you come into ORD in the afternoon and the arrivals hall is packed to the gills!
Old Feb 22, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: MP(1K) Million Miler, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by chugger1
Just logged into my GOES account. Still pending review after 10 days.
I applied on February 9 and got an email today with preliminary approval and a request to schedule an interview.

Does GOES use up a visa page in your passport? I need to know as I am getting close to ordering new pages.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by TheCount2
I applied on February 9 and got an email today with preliminary approval and a request to schedule an interview.

Does GOES use up a visa page in your passport? I need to know as I am getting close to ordering new pages.
Global Entry does not use a visa page in your passport.

GOES is the Global Online Enrollment System, not the trusted traveler program you are applying for.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:03 am

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Let me illustrate: I have GE, I had it within 10 days of applying. Mr. 999 applied to Nexus. It's taken him months to try to schedule the interview. First he couldn't get an appointment at the times he was already scheduled to go to Canada. Then he couldn't get a reasonably priced flight at the time an appointment was available.

At this point, I'm encouraging him to book a cheap trip to SEA to interview there but they are only open M-F and he can't take off from work. YVR is open on weekends but the fares there have gone insane.

So, five months after being conditionally approved he's still scheduling and re-scheduling his interview, all to save $50 vs just applying for Global Entry (or to save $100 if he was going to get both eventually).
Interestingly, several people have noted here that GE has taken longer to clear than NEXUS. Also, why is he only looking at one enrollment center? Is he in an isolated location? Further, SEA and YVR are only about 3 hours apart. Why not fly to SEA and drive to YVR? Or, if he travels to Toronto, why not fly into BUF (where the fare might well be cheaper) and interview in Ft. Erie, which almost always has better availability than YYZ, on the way to Toronto?
Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: Various
You're halfway there.

I think it took 10 days for me to get approved. I don't remember anymore, but I'm sure it's archived somewhere in this thread if you look at my post dates.
I should probably stop checking twice a day, then!

Originally Posted by TheCount2
Good to know that they are still working on the apps! I'm hoping (1) the approvals go through soon, and (2) there isn't too long a wait for an interview slot. Both Mr. Mechteach and I will be flying to and through a number of GE airports during March, and it would be very convenient to set up an interview during that time.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Global Entry does not use a visa page in your passport.

r.
You get a small sticker (1/2"x3/4") on the inside back cover of your passport.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by drewguy
You get a small sticker (1/2"x3/4") on the inside back cover of your passport.
Or the outside, back cover, as is the case with my passport

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Feb 22, 2011 at 2:26 pm
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Or the outside, back cover, as is the case with my passport

Hmm... My CBP sticker is in RED.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:31 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Hmm... My CBP sticker is in RED.
Mine is white like the one shown...

Ciao,
FH
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:53 pm

Programs: GE, B6 True Blue, Hilton Honors, IHG
Applied on 2/10, approval came today.

2 questions:

The GOES website says to bring a copy of your "Conditional Approval Notification." On the GOES message inbox page, there is just one line stating, "Your application for the Global Entry Program has been approved." Is this the page I print out and bring to the interview?

The earliest back to back appointments available (doing the family thing) were for 3/8 and we're flying internationally on 3/13. Will we be immediately approved at the interview and in the system?

Thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by chugger1
Applied on 2/10, approval came today.

2 questions:

The GOES website says to bring a copy of your "Conditional Approval Notification." On the GOES message inbox page, there is just one line stating, "Your application for the Global Entry Program has been approved." Is this the page I print out and bring to the interview?

The earliest back to back appointments available (doing the family thing) were for 3/8 and we're flying internationally on 3/13. Will we be immediately approved at the interview and in the system?

Thanks.
Post interview approval is pretty much immediate ... they didn't look at any documentation other the id's requested when I did my interview. Print the email and that is likely sufficient
Old Feb 22, 2011, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoingAway
Post interview approval is pretty much immediate ... they didn't look at any documentation other the id's requested when I did my interview. Print the email and that is likely sufficient
Same here. CBP officer looked at my DL & PP, took my photo & finger prints, showed me the machine, and then I was on my way. Took no more than 20 minutes, and the welcome email was in my inbox as I walked out of the GE office.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.