Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2009, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat

I fly internationally about once or twice a month. Most trips from BOS to Europe, but I make trips to Asia, Mexico, Australia and other countries as well a few times a year. These latter trips are often through LAX, DFW, and MIA. I also go to YYZ a few times a year. Does it make sense to apply to the Global Entry program at this point? Is there any information about when a kiosk will come to Boston?
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, Global Entry is very much worth it. I save about a half an hour at IAD or ORD regularly.

You mention YYZ....that's a different program, NEXUS.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:43 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Absolutely 100%.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Without a doubt -- YES ! Do it !

Cheers,

--J
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
It's worthwhile only in that it's cheap, and will eventually pay for itself. It's not actually saved me any time yet anywhere - I still fill out the C. Dec because I play it safe and assume it won't work.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:26 am
Community Director Emerita

I was motivated to get a GOES pass when I entered the US at IAD early in January. A bank of UA flights had come in within minutes of each other. I stood in line for an hour. I didn't see a single person use the GOES machine. It costs $100 for five years. I don't have to save much time for it to be worthwhile to me.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I was motivated to get a GOES pass when I entered the US at IAD early in January. A bank of UA flights had come in within minutes of each other. I stood in line for an hour. I didn't see a single person use the GOES machine. It costs $100 for five years. I don't have to save much time for it to be worthwhile to me.
To clarify...

GOES = Global Online Enrollment System. This is the gateway to let you apply to programs such as Global Entry and/or NEXUS.

GLOBAL ENTRY = The program SD1K is referring to. Does not work for travel to/from Canada.

NEXUS = The program that gives you trusted traveler privileges between the U.S. and Canada only.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:54 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
One would hope in situations like that (multiple full loads arriving at the same time), the CBP supervisor would inspire his/her officers to make the process as quick as possible so people can catch their onward connections. (Meaning: no 20 questions, scan the passport, stamp it and hand it back).

Sadly, I doubt it.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:33 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by etch5895
One would hope in situations like that (multiple full loads arriving at the same time), the CBP supervisor would inspire his/her officers to make the process as quick as possible so people can catch their onward connections. (Meaning: no 20 questions, scan the passport, stamp it and hand it back).

Sadly, I doubt it.
CBP can try to be more efficient by not taking any breaks and bringing a few officers in from the office area to clear passengers, but they can't just relax the border just to hasten the line.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:39 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Anyone know why DFW isn't on the list of entry airports, or when it might be added?

Thanks

- Tim
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
GlobalEntry is worth every penny. It truly does pay for itself. The next time you are at ORD standing in line behind hundreds of people at passport control, think of how easier it would be to zip through by using the kiosk!

(Plus, even if the kiosks are not working, you can skip to the front of the line and/or use the crew line.)

PLEASE sign up! The more members in the system, the greater the incentive for CBP to deploy the kiosks at more airports.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by ESpen36
GlobalEntry is worth every penny. It truly does pay for itself. The next time you are at ORD standing in line behind hundreds of people at passport control, think of how easier it would be to zip through by using the kiosk!

(Plus, even if the kiosks are not working, you can skip to the front of the line and/or use the crew line.)

PLEASE sign up! The more members in the system, the greater the incentive for CBP to deploy the kiosks at more airports.
What about the privacy issue with GOES? Spiff where are you. I am not an advocate of Fly Clear or programs like this because it is yet another place I have to air my life story out in some database that I am not entirely sure about its security. Spiff and all of the guys I am normally at odds with in this forum, what are the security/pricacy issues with Global Entry?
Old Feb 4, 2009, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paolo01
What about the privacy issue with GOES? Spiff where are you. I am not an advocate of Fly Clear or programs like this because it is yet another place I have to air my life story out in some database that I am not entirely sure about its security. Spiff and all of the guys I am normally at odds with in this forum, what are the security/pricacy issues with Global Entry?
The GAO has lauded DHS and TSA for its privacy of personal data.

Clear is a private program, and the reasons I don't participate in that program is mostly out of principle and somewhat with security of my data.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 1:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by LessO2
The GAO has lauded DHS and TSA for its privacy of personal data.

Clear is a private program, and the reasons I don't participate in that program is mostly out of principle and somewhat with security of my data.
Ok, well that is good to know. I had no idea that TSA had been lauded by anybody. Now, does TSA have anything to do with this program or is it a CBP/ICE program only? At least I could rationalize in my mind that CBP and ICE are actually sworn LEO's. Or...am I just way off the mark about the Global Entry program and need to give it another look?
Old Feb 4, 2009, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL-DM/ 2MM
Originally Posted by Paolo01
Ok, well that is good to know. I had no idea that TSA had been lauded by anybody. Now, does TSA have anything to do with this program or is it a CBP/ICE program only? At least I could rationalize in my mind that CBP and ICE are actually sworn LEO's. Or...am I just way off the mark about the Global Entry program and need to give it another look?
GE and NEXUS are CBP program, not TSA. TSA doesn't care, although you can use a NEXUS card as official picture ID instead of a DL or passport. When I used mine a few weeks ago during screening I had to show it to 5 different TSA officers who had never seen one and wanted a look.

GE is terrific. I will plan my international travel to gateway at a GE enabled airport from here on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.