Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Global Entry worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by lotalota
Do you have the correct email to send my thoughts to? I dug around on the CBP site for a while and couldn't find one.
Try this: [email protected]
Old Mar 5, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Obviously it is past time to join.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 5:01 pm
Suspended

have used it multiple times in US and in Amsterdam. What a great deal.

Also, in those airports that they don't have it (eg customs in Bermuda before entry) - still get to go "front of line".
Old Mar 5, 2010, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by jrhmdtraum
have used it multiple times in US and in Amsterdam. What a great deal.

Also, in those airports that they don't have it (eg customs in Bermuda before entry) - still get to go "front of line".
That's a new one ... so if you come into an airport that doesn't have Global Entry machines, you are still cutting the line? I would think the immigration folks have no clue why you would do so and the line monitors would have issues.

Anyone else?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by GoingAway
That's a new one ... so if you come into an airport that doesn't have Global Entry machines, you are still cutting the line? I would think the immigration folks have no clue why you would do so and the line monitors would have issues.

Anyone else?
In the email I referred to in post #765, this was stated:

"Please note that if you get an “X” on your Global Entry receipt, you are to proceed to the nearest primary inspections officer (the nearest booth) to be processed. Current CBP policy gives you “head of the line” privileges. You would then be processed by the officer in the booth expeditiously. We have reminded our officers of the proper procedures when processing Global Entry members."

I interpret this to mean that GE members get "head of the line" priviledge even when you don't get an "X" such as at an airport without the machines.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 7:47 pm

Definitely worth it for Global Entry (which is not valid between US and Canada as noted by others). Bypassed the 30 minute line at ORD today...
Old Mar 6, 2010, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by wilp888
In the email I referred to in post #765, this was stated:

"Please note that if you get an “X” on your Global Entry receipt, you are to proceed to the nearest primary inspections officer (the nearest booth) to be processed. Current CBP policy gives you “head of the line” privileges. You would then be processed by the officer in the booth expeditiously. We have reminded our officers of the proper procedures when processing Global Entry members."

I interpret this to mean that GE members get "head of the line" priviledge even when you don't get an "X" such as at an airport without the machines.
Let us know how that goes at a larger airport without GE set-up at all.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 1:46 pm

Programs: 1K UA, CO, AA, ANA, SW
Cool

Hi. I fly between ORD and PVG monthly. Been paying attention the last 3 trips and each time, not using global entry, I have beaten my bag to the carousel. It seem is would be great if I could use carry-on, but I do not see the advantage. What am I missing?
Old Mar 6, 2010, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by ktakahashi
As a NEXUS upgrader at JFK with a clean back cover ... mine is on the outside.

I guess this is one of those CBP agent interpretation type things here. Some place on the outside, some on the inside. Also seems to have no rhyme or reason to the location on the cover or the direction.
I asked. I was told that any kind of sticker inside your passport other than a visa is a big no-no. These stickers must to be on the outside, and it doesn't matter where. They put mine on the back. The sticker is so you can easily show (by holding out your passport) that you are part of the Global Entry program.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by GDavis603
Hi. I fly between ORD and PVG monthly. Been paying attention the last 3 trips and each time, not using global entry, I have beaten my bag to the carousel. It seem is would be great if I could use carry-on, but I do not see the advantage. What am I missing?
Not missing anything but it's like the difference between going to an ATM or waiting in the teller line...less hassle, I guess.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 11:41 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by Bodacious
Definitely worth it for Global Entry (which is not valid between US and Canada as noted by others). Bypassed the 30 minute line at ORD today...
GE would be valid if you are traveling from a non-preclearance airport and arrive at a GE airport. Also, it is a better deal in both price and privileges to get NEXUS first, then GE anyway. I used NEXUS to pre-clear at YYZ this week and it was an absolute breeze (after getting a couple "please step backs" from the IRIS scanner.)

Originally Posted by xyzzy
I asked. I was told that any kind of sticker inside your passport other than a visa is a big no-no. These stickers must to be on the outside, and it doesn't matter where. They put mine on the back. The sticker is so you can easily show (by holding out your passport) that you are part of the Global Entry program.
The inside back cover of the passport isn't a visa or even notes page, and this is a common practice of CBP officers, so I don't see it as an issue.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: UA
I have mine on the inside and I do prefer it this way. The outside of my passport is full of stickers and also looks pretty beaten up. A lot of times I have my passport just in my pants back pocket since I might cross the border twice or tree times a day during I am in Europe. I doubt the sticker would last very long on the back of mine.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by N1120A
The inside back cover of the passport isn't a visa or even notes page, and this is a common practice of CBP officers, so I don't see it as an issue.
I was only writing what I was told by CBP when I asked.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Official and Personal Passport

I just registered for Global Entry. I didn't see any place for this in the application--I have a personal passport and an official passport (for use while on US government business). Can I "register" both passports for use under the program? I can't use my official passport for personal travel. And I'm not supposed to use by personal passport for official travel. (Although I'm not sure whether when reentering the US it matters.)

Can I register both at the interview or at some other time?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
I just registered for Global Entry. I didn't see any place for this in the application--I have a personal passport and an official passport (for use while on US government business). Can I "register" both passports for use under the program? I can't use my official passport for personal travel. And I'm not supposed to use by personal passport for official travel. (Although I'm not sure whether when reentering the US it matters.)

Can I register both at the interview or at some other time?

Excellent question. AFAIK, the program is designed for normal tourist passport holders, since official/diplomatic travelers already received expedited processing. However, it's certainly worth asking at your interview.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.