FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/760859-archived-nexus-information-thread.html)

zorn Feb 4, 2008 1:24 pm

Is there anyone with their finger on the pulse of NEXUS who might have an idea how long the wait time is to get an interview at YYZ?

todd-r Feb 4, 2008 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by zorn (Post 9189627)
Is there anyone with their finger on the pulse of NEXUS who might have an idea how long the wait time is to get an interview at YYZ?

If you applied thru GOES you can go on-line and easily check when the next/first available interview spot is at any location...

PreferBulkhead Feb 4, 2008 2:59 pm

Grasshopper .... one must have patience for the sweetest fruit ... Nexus is well worth it :D

Just as the many who were standing in line in YYZ T1 US Entry less than 30 min ago who are likely still standing in line while Nexus allowed me a speedy (< 30 seconds) traversal through the mire that is US Immigration and Customs :D

okazon69 Feb 4, 2008 6:57 pm

NEXUS saves the day

Everything would have been OK had traffic not come to a dead stop for over half an hour on the way to YUL this morning. Arriving with only 35 minutes to departure YUL-DEN, the self-tagging machine already did not accept my pre-printed boarding pass, and the helpful agent said there was no way I was going to make it. Enter NEXUS... and 30 seconds later (as opposed to 30+ minutes) I was in! This one experience alone made the card worthwhile!

ALW Feb 4, 2008 7:15 pm

Slightly OT question, but what happened to your bag? If you missed the deadline for tagging and checking it, were you allowed to gate-check it?

=aw

zorn Feb 4, 2008 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by todd-r (Post 9189789)
If you applied thru GOES you can go on-line and easily check when the next/first available interview spot is at any location...

I haven't yet received the initial round of approval. All I can do on GOES is see that I'm still "pending".

Up-thread there was a report of 5 months at YVR. I asked more out of interest than anything else, given that there would be nothing I could do about it anyway.

margarita girl Feb 4, 2008 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by zorn (Post 9191748)
I haven't yet received the initial round of approval. All I can do on GOES is see that I'm still "pending".

Up-thread there was a report of 5 months at YVR. I asked more out of interest than anything else, given that there would be nothing I could do about it anyway.

It took about a month for my interview at YYZ. That was about 1 year ago (when they were still charging $85 :td:), so not sure if things are better or worse now.

neuron Feb 4, 2008 8:50 pm

Wait time at YYZ

I received approval last week and the earliest booking times were for the week of March 14th, or thereabouts, so about 6-7weeks. The prime spots (before 12 noon and on Sat seem to be spoken for the the first two weeks of availability.

okazon69 Feb 5, 2008 6:04 am

Originally Posted by ALW (Post 9191627)
Slightly OT question, but what happened to your bag? If you missed the deadline for tagging and checking it, were you allowed to gate-check it?

=aw

No, it was just the machine that rejected me; the agent was able to tag the bag and off I went....

emcampbe Feb 5, 2008 8:50 am

Last report I saw on here was 2 - 3 months, I think.

When you are approved, it also can't hurt to just check to see if they'll take you as a walk in the next time you're flying. I've seen reports of this working sometimes, I'm guessing if its not a busy day or people with appointments no show (this does happen). By no means is it a guarantee, but if you're going to fly anyway, it might be worth a shot. You'd need to get to the airport earlier for your flight, of course, as it takes about a half hour to go through the process, and you'd have to bring your approval letter and your id.

Also, I'm not sure if all of the city/land border offices have iris scanning equipment yet, but at least some of them do, and they are reported to have shorter waiting times.

ALW Feb 5, 2008 1:21 pm

If you're flexible, check every day, maybe more. I got a relative in at 8am one day right before Christmas, though when she got the letter (a week before) the was nothing before February. Presumably someone cancelled.

=aw

B1 Feb 6, 2008 10:53 am

Fort Erie has an iris scanner. You can get the NEXUS card without the iris scan at one of the stations that lacks it and then have the iris scan done on a drop-in at a place that has one. There has been some problem with the fingerprinting machine and the guy at YYZ who can fix is it is off on a long vacation. It would be nice if there were offices in downtown centres in Canada as there are in the US.

yyz_atc_qq Feb 6, 2008 11:15 am

Since I don't travel to the US often I applied for CANPASS Air. I wonder if the delay in interviews are as bad for that program as for NEXUS. Anyone know? They took my fee 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything yet.

PreferBulkhead Feb 6, 2008 11:44 am

Given both are administered from the same office at YYZ I would not expect much of a difference in time ... and 2-weeks with no reply is nothing really I think ...

Jebby_ca Feb 6, 2008 11:51 am

Does anyone know about the new membership cards they're sending out later this year? There's a notice on www.nexus.gc.ca and on GOES to make sure your mailing address is current.

I registered on GOES to check out the info they have, and it looks like they haven't updated my driver's license details even though I went to the YYZ office in May last year to update the expiry date. Looks like I have to make another trip to the Nexus office just to make sure everything is up to date....