FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/760859-archived-nexus-information-thread.html)

LessO2 Jan 10, 2008 7:54 am

Originally Posted by SneakyBoy (Post 9040466)
Since I generally fly out of YUL on direct flights to the US and use nexus I know what to expect. On sunday however I will be flying YUL-YYZ-PHX and return on Tuesday PHX-YYZ-YUL since AC does not fly YUL-PHX direct. Therefore I will be using Nexus for the first time at YYZ. Anybody care to share some information on the procedure and locations of the Nexus terminals at YYZ? Any information would be of great help :)

Really simple.

When you go down the last escalator, you'll enter Immigration Hall ("Welcome to Canada" just above the entrance). Walk in, then immediately turn right. Four red kiosks on the right side just before Special Services booth.

That's the most common one I've run into. There is another entrance, you come in on the left side, and they have kiosks there too. In the long run, it's a little faster to use the kiosks on the right side, as the exit from that hall is closer to the machines on the right.

SneakyBoy Jan 10, 2008 8:13 am

Where to proceed with Nexus receipt at YYZ

Thanks Blondebomber and LessO2, once I print my receipt from the Nexus Kiosk where or what line do I enter to hand it over to a customs agent? Is there a dedicated Nexus line, at YUL it's agent 18 on the left hand side next to the kiosks. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

PreferBulkhead Jan 10, 2008 9:55 am

Originally Posted by SneakyBoy (Post 9041405)
Thanks Blondebomber and LessO2, once I print my receipt from the Nexus Kiosk where or what line do I enter to hand it over to a customs agent? Is there a dedicated Nexus line, at YUL it's agent 18 on the left hand side next to the kiosks. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

You just exit the customs hall as normal -- I walk between any 2 agents and wave my nexus receipt ... then you exit the luggage hall as normal and it is at that time they take your Nexus receipt that was printed.

SneakyBoy Jan 10, 2008 10:03 am

It will be a connection though...........

I will be going YUL-YYZ-PHX. YYZ will not be my final destination and I will not be checking any baggage. I was wondering once I arrive at YYZ from YUL and obtain my Nexus receipt, what line do I get into in order hand over my receipt and declaration form to a US customs officer.

PreferBulkhead Jan 10, 2008 10:47 am

OK - more information makes your situation easier to understand.

I am not sure if you can go airside from your YUL flight directly to US customs via a transfer desk-- if you can, then I do not believe (based on other posts) that there is any Nexus ability there.

I do believe that if you want to use Nexus you would simply exit the luggage area for domestic flights and then go to the US Immigration area in T1 ... there in the middle are the Nexus machines ... you get your Nexus receipt and proceed directly to the desk where you would hand in your US Customs card and Nexus receipt (no special desk or aisle -- simply where everyone hands in their cards -- so do you -- but you bypass the lines in front of the US Immigration folks by going directly to the Nexus machines)- you are then in US airspace (so to speak) once you do that ... you then go through security and onto your gate.

If I have understood correctly this time ...

SneakyBoy Jan 10, 2008 11:22 am

Fantastic

PreferBulkhead, thanks for the information it is greatly appreciated. I now have a good idea of what to expect when arriving at YYZ. Much thanks to the rest of the FlyerTalk community as well :)

jruta Jan 12, 2008 8:17 pm

I found out the hard way today that if you connect Canada-to-USA with luggage at YYZ, they don't let you use NEXUS (because you're on the other side of the wall, and they only allow you to go to a few predetermined customs agents). I had to line up for about an hour this morning.

In the future, I'll have to remember to do only carry-ons via YYZ if possible, and walk out to the main check-in area for US-bound flights (instead of going through the "Connections" door).

Does anyone know whether this is an issue at YUL or YVR?

ALW Jan 12, 2008 11:13 pm

How do people apply for a change of status when they already have a Nexus card?

For example, if you're applying for TN status, do you use the Nexus machine (to bypass the lines) then speak to an agent? Or do you have to get in the long regular line with the non-Nexus holders?

Thanks!
=aw

emcampbe Jan 13, 2008 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by ALW (Post 9058267)

For example, if you're applying for TN status, do you use the Nexus machine (to bypass the lines) then speak to an agent? Or do you have to get in the long regular line with the non-Nexus holders?

Thanks!
=aw

If you have a new status, you can only use NEXUS once you have reported it to an office, and they have the new documents on file.

I'm not sure how TN visas work, but you must need to apply for it before you travel, and have something stamped ion it the first time, No? If this is the case, you may have to have the visa certified in the normal customs line when you go to the US the first time on it.

If you are not able to report the visa information to NEXUS before you cross back into Canada (i.e. at a location on the US side of the border, like the office in Seattle or Champlain, NY for example), then the first time you return to Canada, you must also use the normal line. If not, you can have your card confiscated and membership terminated for failing to keep up your documentation and status.

Vasbyte Jan 14, 2008 4:31 am

Originally Posted by ALW (Post 9058267)

Thanks!
=aw

Just had to go through this yesterday :)

You can't use the Nexus machines ... I was instructed to stand in line with Non-Nexus holders.

I have a follow-on question ... you are supposed to inform the Nexus office immediately when ANY of your documents/status has changed. Well - kind of impossible to do when you get a new TN as you are already air side!

emcampbe Jan 15, 2008 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Vasbyte (Post 9064652)
Just had to go through this yesterday :)

I have a follow-on question ... you are supposed to inform the Nexus office immediately when ANY of your documents/status has changed. Well - kind of impossible to do when you get a new TN as you are already air side!

Not exactly correct. While it is in your best interests to infrom/report to Nexus with status/document changes ASAP, the requirement is that you do so before you can use Nexus again. Until you do so, you can not use the Nexus lane, because, as I mentioned in my last post, you can have your membership terminated. Users on this forum have reported that for smaller things like DL expiry, they have used the machine and then been sent to secondary solely to provide the new info and warned to provide this to the Nexus office. I don't know if you'd get out with only a warning for a visa change, and I wouldn't want to find out, personally, knowing what the consequences could be.

There are several US offices now where you can report this info. to, though almost all are in northern states (WA, NY, Montana, etc.) and none are at airports. Full list is on the Nexus web site - http://nexus.gc.ca. If you can't make it to any of these, you will have to use the regular customs line and talk to an officer the first time you come back, as well, and then report it to the Nexus office at the airport after you get landside. I recently had to do this with a change of residency from Canada to the US. It might be inconvenient to stand in the reg. line the once or twice, however, IMHO, much, much better than the possible alternative of losing Nexus membership.

ALW Jan 15, 2008 10:35 am

Thanks for the answers, it's too bad one can't use the Nexus machine then ask to go to secondary to process the TN application.

Coming back, I guess you have to time your return for when the Nexus office is open. Having a ticket on a connecting flight (to YOW or YUL if entering through YYZ, YOW or YYZ through YUL, etc.) would at least save time in line. :)

As a follow-up, if you have TN status does anything change with using the Nexus card? The old INSPass, which was a very different creature, was tied to a specific status, so if not entering on the TN for which the INSPass card was issued, one couldn't use the INSPAss machine. Nexus is different, of course, but is there any difference in the process of entering the US when you have TN status? Do they ask different questions? Ask whether you're entering on TN, B1, or B2 status? (Not that they ask whether it's a B1 or B2 visit now).

Thanks!
=aw

ALW Jan 15, 2008 10:38 am

for smaller things like DL expiry, they have used the machine and then been sent to secondary solely to provide the new info
The first time I had to deal with a DL renewal (though still in the period of the old one), I called Champlain to check their hours. They said we could just fax them the new DL with a covering letter. I did that and we've had no trouble crossing (at Champlain) since then. DL expiry was July 07, sent the fax in June 07. I assume something important like TN status wouldn't qualify for faxing, though I don't see why not.

=aw

Ken hAAmer Jan 15, 2008 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by jruta (Post 9057721)
I found out the hard way today that if you connect Canada-to-USA with luggage at YYZ, they don't let you use NEXUS (because you're on the other side of the wall, and they only allow you to go to a few predetermined customs agents). I had to line up for about an hour this morning.

In the future, I'll have to remember to do only carry-ons via YYZ if possible, and walk out to the main check-in area for US-bound flights (instead of going through the "Connections" door).

Does anyone know whether this is an issue at YUL or YVR?

Given that YYZ USINS agents have always been particularly hostile to these kind of programs, going back even to the INSPass days, I'm not surprised. The best responses I've ever received in YYZ when either using or attempting to renew my INSPass card could most generously be described as sneering.

At YVR on the other hand, USINS agents think the program is brilliant, and love it. They've been uniformly courteous and helpful. I don't know if though if you'd be able to use the NEXUS card when connecting in YVR because the connecting luggage comes out in a special area that can only be accessed through the "US connections" facility.

If it were me, I'd be inclined to ask to have my bags only checked as far as the connection (US port of entry,) collect them, and then use the NEXUS card. Problem is, you'd have to check in again to get your bags re-tagged to your final destination. If you have a tight connection, that might well cause more problems, and delays, than standing in the non-NEXUS line.

LessO2 Jan 21, 2008 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ken hAAmer (Post 9073619)
Given that YYZ USINS agents have always been particularly hostile to these kind of programs, going back even to the INSPass days, I'm not surprised. The best responses I've ever received in YYZ when either using or attempting to renew my INSPass card could most generously be described as sneering.

I guess it depends on experience. I've had a couple of US CBP guys at YYZ be some of the most easygoing guys I've known.

Once before I got the NEXUS pre-approval letter, I asked some detailed questions to an agent when I was US-bound from YYZ (ironically, my letter was in my mailbox when I got home that day). And the guys who handled me during the NEXUS process...I felt like I was at happy hour shooting the sheet with them.

Outside of the "official routine," one US CBP person and I were busting each others chops about our NFL football team allegiances. A time I'll never forget...fun time. No, he didn't retaliate at me, either.

On the other hand.....also when I was getting my NEXUS card at YYZ, there was this absolutely unpleasant Canadian official who was acquainting people with the kiosk. Treated me and many others in a rude manner. It was painfully obvious her colleagues wanted nothing of her. Simply rude, curt and extremely unpleasant to interact with on the most basic of communications. I'll remember her face and badge number for a long time.