FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/760859-archived-nexus-information-thread.html)

PreferBulkhead Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm

Well this site: http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/prog/nexus/location-eng.html
seems to indicate yes ... but they do answer their phone (not like YYZ) so maybe a call to confirm?

Vancouver

Vancouver International Airport
International terminal
Level 3, U.S. Departures

604-666-4598

Please call to schedule an appointment.

Seven days a week: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

beepyou Dec 11, 2007 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by PreferBulkhead (Post 8878157)
Well this site: http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/prog/nexus/location-eng.html
seems to indicate yes ... but they do answer their phone (not like YYZ) so maybe a call to confirm?

Vancouver

Vancouver International Airport
International terminal
Level 3, U.S. Departures

604-666-4598

Please call to schedule an appointment.

Seven days a week: 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.

perfect, thanks!

Okay, I just called them, they said they are open at 8. They start taking appointments at 8:15 am everyday.

PreferBulkhead Dec 11, 2007 3:49 pm

Bring cookies! :D

jmottle Dec 12, 2007 12:36 pm

I've had CANPASS for a couple of years now, and would like to apply for NEXUS, but am not sure if I should and am looking for some advice as I'm in a tricky situation.

I own my own company with international clients and also work full time for a US company, but live in Canada. My US employer is also a client of own company. Kind of an odd situation. ;)

Anyway, when I first started the company's immegration lawyer indicated I could not really enter the country under the US company's name or to do business under their name as I would require a special VISA for which I do not qualify. So, because my own company is in the same business I always just say I'm entering under my company's name. If I am going to head office, I tell border control I'm visiting a client, which is not a total lie.

I do travel a lot, but am worried that applying for NEXUS may red flag me, especially given they ask who your employers are and the in person interview. I was wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation and had any advice. Because I've essentially taken a job away from an American, they would be none too impressed to have me enter their country knowing this.

timmycanfly Dec 16, 2007 3:47 pm

I just got my Nexus and on the first use I got a secondary. They told me I will experience it more since I fly out of Edmonton and they don't have very many members yet. It was still faster as I skipped the line.

On the way back the machines were down so I used the crew lane. SWEET!

I'm not sure about others experiences with the interview process but I didn't get asked a single question about why I wanted the card or why I travel a lot. It was an eye scan and finger prints plus a few signatures...not more than 20 minutes.

tcf

PreferBulkhead Dec 16, 2007 4:02 pm

In my interview they were about to ask why ... then saw the visa in the passport and stopped short ... when they asked Mrs. PB why it was simple ... she travels with me ... and that was it! ^

Machdiamond Dec 17, 2007 9:08 am

Saturday morning I was arriving to YVR from the US at the same time as a couple of wide bodies from Asia, so there was a long line to immigration that lasted close to half an hour. All that time I was looking at the empty Nexus terminals, and I could read from the distance "YOU STUPID!" on the screens :D
So I applied this morning. Looking forward to use it.

Rejuvenated Dec 17, 2007 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Machdiamond (Post 8910380)
Saturday morning I was arriving to YVR from the US at the same time as a couple of wide bodies from Asia, so there was a long line to immigration that lasted close to half an hour.

That was probably the period between 10AM - 2PM. :)

guessaaa Dec 17, 2007 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by ALW (Post 8864089)
Two thoughts come to mind on this:

(1) Why? Presumably you can drop people off down the road, or before crossing the bridge, or whatever, so where's the line?

(2) How in the world do they expect people to know this? To say there's zero tolerance for breaking of all rules, they really should have (at a minimum) a website where updates are posted. Same with agricultural or other restrictions, they gave me a sheet telling me what things I can't bring back from the US, but has that changed? Who knows?

=aw

I phoned in August to ask about this and they said that as long as the non-Nexus people aren't dropped off right before the booth and picked up right after, that they can walk across with their belongings while you go through the Nexus lane. They said to leave a ~150m buffer zone on either side of the booth.

BoyAreMyArmsTired Dec 24, 2007 1:02 pm

I have a Canpass and would love a Nexus pass, but should I even bother trying? I had problems with my old TN Visa and was denied entry (but now I have an O-1 visa that seems to be working better). If I've had problems in the past, am I automatically not eligible? (I couldn't see anything online that said definitively with regard to my past difficulties...)

PreferBulkhead Dec 24, 2007 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by BoyAreMyArmsTired (Post 8949415)
I have a Canpass and would love a Nexus pass, but should I even bother trying? I had problems with my old TN Visa and was denied entry (but now I have an O-1 visa that seems to be working better). If I've had problems in the past, am I automatically not eligible? (I couldn't see anything online that said definitively with regard to my past difficulties...)

Having CANPASS now may make it easier. In the end it all boils down to do you want to spend the 50$ to give it a chance for 5 years of easier crossing ... or do you not I guess? For me I would take the 50$ chance ... and go for it.

You have nothing to lose and easier crossings to gain ... my 2-cents...

lcohen999 Dec 24, 2007 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by guessaaa (Post 8913429)
I phoned in August to ask about this and they said that as long as the non-Nexus people aren't dropped off right before the booth and picked up right after, that they can walk across with their belongings while you go through the Nexus lane. They said to leave a ~150m buffer zone on either side of the booth.

I have always been curious to why this is such a big deal.

They still have to go through the same procedure it still allows everyone to be processed..quickly. I'm not complianing thought, I have tones of US trips in the first half of this year, Nexus has already paid for itself time over.

However, there is one big key flaw to Nexus.

My wife and I just came back from a trip to LGA. She wanted to bring a large suitcase for all the shopping she will do. So we had to check it.

Time to clear Nexus, 30seconds, time to wait for our Priority tagged bags to come out of YYZ, 30 mins. They need a Nexus baggage claim area....wait a minute, that is a great idea :)

emcampbe Dec 24, 2007 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999 (Post 8949765)
Time to clear Nexus, 30seconds, time to wait for our Priority tagged bags to come out of YYZ, 30 mins. They need a Nexus baggage claim area....wait a minute, that is a great idea :)

Unfortunately, is it a great idea on paper, but one that would never work realistically. Kind of like Priority Baggage. Once in a while it works, usually, it just comes out randomly like the other bags. If you think they'll be able to organize baggage enough to get it off various flights (on various airlines, no less) onto a "priority" NEXUS belt, I think you're kidding yourself. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea (especially since i always check bags), however, just can't see it working.

Don't forget the real benefit of NEXUS - not having to wait in line and not having to worry to talk to customs.

lcohen999 Dec 24, 2007 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 8949991)
Unfortunately, is it a great idea on paper, but one that would never work realistically. Kind of like Priority Baggage. Once in a while it works, usually, it just comes out randomly like the other bags. If you think they'll be able to organize baggage enough to get it off various flights (on various airlines, no less) onto a "priority" NEXUS belt, I think you're kidding yourself. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea (especially since i always check bags), however, just can't see it working.

Don't forget the real benefit of NEXUS - not having to wait in line and not having to worry to talk to customs.

I know..I'm just dreaming...

Toronto1970 Dec 29, 2007 7:47 am

One Canada Customs Form Or Two?

Question:

My partner and I both have Nexus cards, and have used them to enter the US, but haven't tried them yet for coming back to Canada.

When we go through Canada Customs via the normal line, we only fill out one customs form (since it is one per family).

If we re-enter using the Nexus machines, can we also just fill out one form, or should we fill in two forms since we will be going to separate Nexus machines?

(I know this is a small trivial questions, but after hearing about people losing their Nexus cards for small procedural errors, I don't want to make any mistakes!)

Thanks.