FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/760859-archived-nexus-information-thread.html)

YOWkid Dec 29, 2007 8:34 am

I think you fill in one form still if all members of the family have NEXUS.

But I would call the 1-866-nexus-26 number to check.

todd-r Dec 29, 2007 8:48 am

Originally Posted by Toronto1970 (Post 8969858)
If we re-enter using the Nexus machines, can we also just fill out one form, or should we fill in two forms since we will be going to separate Nexus machines?

We did this on arrrival together at YVR earlier this month.

Filled out one card on plane.
Both went to seperate kiosk.
Claimed luggage and presented the one card on exit with two kiosk receipts and were waved through.

macyyz Dec 29, 2007 8:58 am

A few points about Nexus:

1. The in person interview is simply a verification process of the written application. I presume one of the reasons for the delay between application and the interview is to ensure that they have performed all the background checks on you (employer, criminal record, secondary screenings, address, etc.) My interview consisted of verifying my address, employer and teaching me how to use Nexus and fill out the proper forms.

2. Vehicle registration is no longer necessary. I was suprised by this, as I brought mine with me for all my vehicles. Apparently it was problematic for them to keep on top of, as people change cars frequently.

3. If you are on an H1-B or TN-1 or similar type Visa your Nexus card will be temporarily suspended until said Visa is renewed. Once it is renewed, just bring it into the local Nexus office (no appointment necessary) and give them the new Visa and the Nexus will be reactivated. Since the Nexus is tied to things such as your TN-1, passport, etc. ANY change of status must be communicated to them.

4. If you are travelling with Family members who also have Nexus, you only need to fill out one form as the form is for families. Non family members must fill out a seperate form. And do not attempt to bring anyone across that is not certified... you will lose your Nexus immediately, as my friend found out the hard way.

Nexus is definitely the way to go if you travel across the borders more than 2 or 3 times a month (or week like some of us).

LessO2 Dec 29, 2007 10:02 am

Originally Posted by macyyz (Post 8970076)
1. The in person interview is simply a verification process of the written application. I presume one of the reasons for the delay between application and the interview is to ensure that they have performed all the background checks on you (employer, criminal record, secondary screenings, address, etc.) My interview consisted of verifying my address, employer and teaching me how to use Nexus and fill out the proper forms.

Well, yeah, that's what the wait is for. Once you get the letter, you've obviously cleared the background stuff.

The only thing that held me up during my process was the US side having difficulty with a printer. Offered residence and work stuff, they didn't even look at it. They just asked what countries I've been to over the past five years, and they US guy regretted asking me. Asked me twice if I knew it was within the past five years.

My turn with the Canadians took about 90 seconds, possibly because I had CANPASS.

emcampbe Dec 29, 2007 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 8970307)
Well, yeah, that's what the wait is for. Once you get the letter, you've obviously cleared the background stuff.

The only thing that held me up during my process was the US side having difficulty with a printer. Offered residence and work stuff, they didn't even look at it. They just asked what countries I've been to over the past five years, and they US guy regretted asking me. Asked me twice if I knew it was within the past five years.

My turn with the Canadians took about 90 seconds, possibly because I had CANPASS.

I agree - once you have the letter, I believe you have already passed both background checks. I would say the wait between the letter and interview is more a function of how many people they can process through the office in a day. I would imagine the longer wait times between letter and interview you are currently seeing is a result of more applications (as more people discover the program).

But I never got any difficult questions - I would say for me, for both my original CANPASS and NEXUS, the interview was less of an interview, and more of a show us your original documents/get your iris picture and fingerprint scan/let us explain to you how everything works/get a NEXUS card/do you have any questions appointment.

B1 Dec 29, 2007 5:20 pm

TDCs required but there are none, mais il ya de plus...

I've been using NEXUS for some time but the TDC book wasn't available when I did the registration at YYZ. I went to the Fort Erie office to get one and the CBS agent said they are back-ordered from the printers. She then elaborated: if you use the NEXUS lane into Canada you must submit a card for each person bringing in goods, whether or not they are over the free limit. (BTW - The US doesn't use cards - they talk to you) But there are no TDCs. We can put you on a waiting list. Is this a catch 22? Not exactly. She then said "Are you French? If you are we have them in your language." Being fluently bilingual, I said "Mais oui!". So I registered for a book of "Cartes de declaration des voyageurs" (CDV) and this will be what I use. If you get the opportunity and you are not familiar with advanced governmental joual, here's the content: You fill in dots
Exemption seulement: 24heures /48 heures 7 jours Categorie & Dollar Value
La valeur des articles est en Dollar US / Dollar Can
Les articles on ete fabriquee aux E.U./ autre
Indiquez la valeur et la quantite de biere, de vin, d'alcool, de tabac, ou de cigarettes
Signature:
Now this is very challenging (I had to leave out the accents) but if you translate that you can use la version francaise - la CDV.
Voila!

sing-along Dec 29, 2007 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Toronto1970 (Post 8969858)
Question:

When we go through Canada Customs via the normal line, we only fill out one customs form (since it is one per family).

If we re-enter using the Nexus machines, can we also just fill out one form, or should we fill in two forms since we will be going to separate Nexus machines?

When my wife and I travel together we always fill out our own customs cards (Canada and US). The reason being is just in case one of us is chosen for the random check.

This has happened when we were heading to DPS for a vacation over US Thanksgiving. We were flying YVR-SFO-NRT-SIN (UA) - DPS (SQ). I got pulled for a random check but my wife did not. I just met her after post security.

Cheers

7E7 Jan 1, 2008 9:18 pm

How old is the youngest person in your family to have signed up for NEXUS?

My 2 1/2 year old will have his interview in a few weeks - hoepfullky the irius scan works.

ALso what was your experience with the interview with a younger person and using NEXUS with the younger person?

lcohen999 Jan 2, 2008 4:22 am

Originally Posted by 7E7 (Post 8986906)
How old is the youngest person in your family to have signed up for NEXUS?

My 2 1/2 year old will have his interview in a few weeks - hoepfullky the irius scan works.

ALso what was your experience with the interview with a younger person and using NEXUS with the younger person?

I think as long as one has a passport, one is eligible for Nexus.

I don't think your 2 1/2 needs an iris scan. That is for 7 years and above..

7E7 Jan 2, 2008 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999 (Post 8988050)
I think as long as one has a passport, one is eligible for Nexus.

I don't think your 2 1/2 needs an iris scan. That is for 7 years and above..

Thanks. We already have his letter so it is just the interview left. I was not able to find anything on the iris scan, so we will find out at the interview

BlondeBomber Jan 2, 2008 9:28 pm

Got my card today at YVR. They are booking appointments for May now (earliest date available)!

Took about 1.5 hours from start to finish. US guys seemed to be having trouble with my fingers on the fingerprint machine and did 5 takes for each (left hand, right hand and thumbs).

They asked for things that they did not tell me to bring, e.g. birth certificate (but then said I didn't need it). They also want me to give them my UK passport number even though I never use it to travel to the USA.

sweetpete Jan 2, 2008 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by akk (Post 8877919)
Although not if you are transiting to US via YYZ. We keep hearing that there will be a kiosk for us soon. Any word on when it will be installed?

Don't use the transit route. Just go through the regular security and you go through the standard customs area that has the nexus. I ran into this coming back from ORD via YYZ and I used transit but a colleague didn't. He was in the lounge in 3 minutes and it took me 20 minutes! :mad:

BondGuy Jan 3, 2008 6:05 am

Originally Posted by macyyz (Post 8970076)
Nexus is definitely the way to go if you travel across the borders more than 2 or 3 times a month (or week like some of us).

... or even once a year.

one trip a year to the US, with a 30 minute time saving in each direction, is well worth the $50 per 5 year cost of a Nexus card

additional trips make it a very cheap way to save time

lcohen999 Jan 3, 2008 8:32 am

Originally Posted by 7E7 (Post 8993269)
Thanks. We already have his letter so it is just the interview left. I was not able to find anything on the iris scan, so we will find out at the interview

Please let me know (as I was not 100% sure).

We are expecting our first in May and I want him or her signed up right away!

7E7 Jan 3, 2008 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by lcohen999 (Post 8995432)
Please let me know (as I was not 100% sure).

We are expecting our first in May and I want him or her signed up right away!

Will do.

Congratulations! It will change your life for the better!!!