FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Trusted Travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/)
-   -   Archived: The NEXUS Information Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers/760859-archived-nexus-information-thread.html)

lcohen999 Feb 29, 2008 11:25 am

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 9336519)
I've used my NEXUS card to check-in (good thing to do at YVR).

But I think...actually, I'm pretty sure, that the NEXUS rules say you must have both your card and passport at all times. The US folks at YYC and YOW recently have asked for my NEXUS card.

Correct, don't leave home without both!

dnotes Feb 29, 2008 1:21 pm

how long does it take for NEXUS to update driver's license

how long does it take for NEXUS to update driver's license… anyone knows?

dbaseworking Feb 29, 2008 1:57 pm

background checks

I'am retired at 60 and use a PO. Box for
my mail collection.
Question:
does Nexus take retired folk and may one use
a PO. Box as an address??
dbase

jayman Feb 29, 2008 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Jebby_ca (Post 9335375)
I'm having this problem. I actually went into the YYZ office when I got my new license back in 2007, and the Canadian side scanned it, entered it into their systems, and then I had to wait around for the US side to enter it into their systems as well. I recently got a GOES account, and noticed my license expiry date is still showing as 2007, but document expiry column on the left is showing the next document that is about to expire, my I-94, which expires in 2009. I went to the YYZ office again a few weeks ago to make sure my license was updated, and the Canadian officer there told me to go do it online, they don't do license updates at the office anymore.... except like you've encountered, it's not possible to update your license online.

I've used Nexus since I updated my license info in person in 2007 and since that visit a few weeks ago, and haven't had any problems. So I don't know what's up with the expiry date that's showing up on GOES.

My wife also has a NEXUS pass. Since I was informed at YYZ that we sould be getting new cards, my wife signed up for a GOES account to double confirm that all of her information is correct. In GOES, there is no record of her even having a drivers license even though it was scanned.

It seems to me that they are more concerned about any passport or visa expiry and not really caring about the drivers license.

I also don't understand why if they change the rules about the document update (as the officers claim they have), why don't they send NEXUS users a letter or something, after all they have all of our complete contact information?

Jay

emcampbe Mar 1, 2008 6:33 am

Originally Posted by GregWTravels (Post 9335237)
...does this mean that I can travel back and forth by air between Canada and the US with just my NEXUS card?
Thanks,
Greg

Well, my opinion, based on what I've been told, is no, and yes. Yes in the theoretical sense, that it is supposed to be valid as a legal travel document that is an alternative to the passpost.

Realistically, the answer is no - you need to bring your passport. I think I've already written something similar on either this or the other NEXUS thread, but was told by the office at YYZ a few months ago that you need to have a passport for a few reasons. One, if you get randomed, or have to declare anything, they might ask for a passport. I was also told at this point that some officers just don't believe the program should exist, and therefore will require a passport. The fact is, I don't think you want to get into an argument with a person who has the power to deny you entry to a country, even if they are completely wrong.

Another reason is that airline check in in the US often only accepts passports to fly to Canada. I've never tried using it flying AC, but I have tried it flying UA from the US to Canada, and they won't accept it. I've specifically asked phone agents, and check in personal in both YYZ and ORD about this, and they have all said a flat out no. The check-in machine scanner will not read the card either for some reason (even though it appears to be the same kind of code as on the bottom of a passport). And I even tried using it as ID at security at ORD, at which point the TSA officer looked at me weird, I explained what it was, and he started flipping through the book of acceptable id. At that point, I just pulled out my DL.

So there's the long answer - travel with your passport, in case.

CP@YOW Mar 5, 2008 7:08 am

What is the purpose of the random secondary?

This weekend at U.S. preclearance I got stopped for the random check. But all the guy did was ask for my Nexus card and then spend about five minutes at his computer. He didn't ask me a single question about where I was going and why. I was expecting at least the normal questions that non-Nexus holders get. It was very odd, but a big relief. What have other people's experiences been?

fly-yul Mar 5, 2008 7:26 am

Originally Posted by CP@YOW (Post 9360614)
This weekend at U.S. preclearance I got stopped for the random check. But all the guy did was ask for my Nexus card and then spend about five minutes at his computer. He didn't ask me a single question about where I was going and why. I was expecting at least the normal questions that non-Nexus holders get. It was very odd, but a big relief. What have other people's experiences been?

Purpose? To keep people 100% honest. The very slight risk of going to a proper secondary is a strong incentive not to cheat. Although in your case it sounds like not much happened.

dnotes Mar 5, 2008 4:55 pm

how long does it take to update your info after you've sent it in?

still wondering how long it would take for the NEXUS folks to update your info on the GOES site?

someone previously mentioned that it is your responsibility to ensure that they update it and not theirs… guess i'd rather do it now than wait for them to "catch" you at the border?

anyone?

YVR Cockroach Mar 5, 2008 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Phrantic (Post 9334767)
Agreed, however cattle are still destroyed when found with this disease to stop the spread to other heards. It may be a myth, fable, story to have the masses believe in CFIA's job, but, it's in the pamphlet so it 'has' to be true.

They do it to protect the meat exporting industry (whenever the U.S. decides not to shut it out due to BSE or some other outbreak).

You show me in Canada where one can produce Cocaine or Heroine. I agree with you that meth, extascy and pot/hash is produced here, but unfortunatly enough for some of the population, those drugs just don't do it for them. So therefore organized crime brings in the dope.
I imagine there are plenty of other ways to get huge amounts into the country other than simple couriering by singletons.

Watch the movie 'Maria full of grace' or something like that... it's a good rendition of how someone swallows. Subtitled though, hope that won't discourage you ;)
Seen it, though through ways Kim Prentice probably wouldn't approve of. ;)

guessaaa Mar 6, 2008 8:29 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 9340144)
Well, my opinion, based on what I've been told, is no, and yes. Yes in the theoretical sense, that it is supposed to be valid as a legal travel document that is an alternative to the passpost.

When I crossed the bridge at Niagara Falls this summer, I tried using my Nexus card both on the US and the Canadian side. Both agents didn't bother looking at my card and immediately asked for my passport, and started questioning me with the regular border crossing questions.

In EWR, the gate agent didn't want to take my Nexus card as valid ID, but after insisting it IS valid, she asked a flight attendant for the flight to YUL whether it was ok, and it was.

lcohen999 Mar 6, 2008 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by guessaaa (Post 9366708)
When I crossed the bridge at Niagara Falls this summer, I tried using my Nexus card both on the US and the Canadian side. Both agents didn't bother looking at my card and immediately asked for my passport, and started questioning me with the regular border crossing questions.

In EWR, the gate agent didn't want to take my Nexus card as valid ID, but after insisting it IS valid, she asked a flight attendant for the flight to YUL whether it was ok, and it was.

Nexus cards will only work with the Nexus machines. If you use a regular line then Nexus is as worthwhile as the plastic it is written on. If you use the Nexus lane, don't get a secondary odds are your passport stays in your pocket.

fly-yul Mar 6, 2008 3:01 pm

The NEXUS Card is a WHTI-Compliant Travel Document.

However explaining this to a CBSA or CBP agent may be very hard. Bring your passport.

As for the gate agent when boarding from the US, I use my NEXUS card often. A couple of times I have been asked for my passport and I simply point out that my passport number is on the front of the NEXUS card. The agent's goal is to match the APIS information you provided at check-in with something. Once they realise that the passport number is on the card, they have always said ok.

LessO2 Mar 7, 2008 8:05 pm

Any experiences, good or bad, with the NEXUS card and the TSA?

IC Expert Mar 7, 2008 9:13 pm

I had a funny experience at YVR. Had a flight from YEG-YVR-LAX. With luggage you can't have access to nexus lines. The sign above the us border guards head said before flying to the states make sure you have a nexus card or passport. I showed him my nexus card and he said this is not valid way to enter the states, i thought this was funny as there was a sign over top of his head.

Originally Posted by LessO2 (Post 9375826)
Any experiences, good or bad, with the NEXUS card and the TSA?

todd-r Mar 7, 2008 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by guessaaa (Post 9366708)

Click for a copy of the Carrier Information Guide. This is the guide published by US Customs and Border Protection covering all Documentary Requirements for Travel in and out of the USA.