Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
I was denied for I guess technically not telling the truth about an arrest, but the arrest was esponged and I was told by the courts to always answer that I was never arrested.

I have sent a leter and have not heard anything back. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 5:38 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
interesting situation

Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
I was denied for I guess technically not telling the truth about an arrest, but the arrest was esponged and I was told by the courts to always answer that I was never arrested.

I have sent a letter and have not heard anything back. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I had always assumed if an arrest was expunged that you CAN say you were never arrested.

In any case you will likely have to wait months for a response.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat

I have sent a leter and have not heard anything back. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I was *this* close to getting denied because someone broke into my computer almost 10 years ago!

(Seriously, I had federal agents show up at my door to search my house at 1am... turned out someone broke into my computer and used it to then break into a big business. I was just another victim of the same crime as the business.)

They asked me in the interview if I had ever been arrested or charged with a crime and I, of course, said no ... but then they accused me of lying!

I'd never been arrested, never been charged with a crime, just was a victim of a crime, and after explaining it all, the CBP agent said, "That doesn't sound believable. I think you're still lying to me." To my good luck, I still had the federal agent's phone number in my cell phone (from almost a decade ago, mind you), so I gave it and his name to the CBP agent. He told me he would run it by his supervisor. A few hours later, I got an email telling me I had been approved. I can only surmise that they called my contact. It was surreal.

I walked out of there (before I got the final approval) dumbfounded and genuinely ANGRY that I could be denied because I was a VICTIM of a crime!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by squeakr
I had always assumed if an arrest was expunged that you CAN say you were never arrested.

In any case you will likely have to wait months for a response.
thats what I thought, an arrest being expunged from you record means it never happened.

The CBP Officer accused me of lying, told him I wasn't lying the arrest was expunged hence why I said no. He told me I was half lying? HUH.

letter went out yesterday, I expect to never hear back.

Anyone know when you can reapply?
Old Nov 5, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

That happened to me on my first application 5 years ago. I was arrested for minor shoplifting when I was 15 and it was esponged, and I was told it was like it never happened, I should always say I was never arrested, and the records are sealed -- nobody will ever know.
I wrote NO on the application and when I went in they asked me and I told them what happened without hesitation. The agent said "haha! We know all about it! WE know everything!". He said they didn't care that I was arrested but they want to know I'm not lying because they "hate liars". (that's what he said)
I asked him if I did the right thing by writing NO, since that's what the court told me to do, and he said, Yes, it's OK.

So now fast forward 5 years, I apply for a renewal and same Q comes up. I stared at it for 5 minutes and wrote NO again. I guess I was thinking they'd ask for some sort of record, and I thought it would be really difficult to get nearly 30 years later. And officially it is Esponged, so am I really lying?
Of course now I have to go in for a second interview. I feel like an idiot now because obviously this is the reason. I hope I don't get turned down. I figure I'll just go in acting stupid and tell him right away before he even asks.

It's not 'til January, I'll let you guys know what happens!
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Not so sure about "Esponged" , but if it was expunged (I'm an English as asecond language learner and the English language is the very devil in words like these), theoretically it's like it never happened. Frankly, given the US CBP / GE folks' access to various databases, I'd probably recommend bringing it up at the interview phase: "I replied 'NO' to every been... but that's because an incident <that occurred when I was an adolescent and was sealed by the court> or whatever, and I am mentioning it to be completely honest."

I'd certainly do that under similar circumstances (e.g. security clearance interview) but not for a nonclassified job.
Old Nov 5, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Not so sure about "Esponged" , but if it was expunged (I'm an English as asecond language learner and the English language is the very devil in words like these), theoretically it's like it never happened. Frankly, given the US CBP / GE folks' access to various databases, I'd probably recommend bringing it up at the interview phase: "I replied 'NO' to every been... but that's because an incident <that occurred when I was an adolescent and was sealed by the court> or whatever, and I am mentioning it to be completely honest."

I'd certainly do that under similar circumstances (e.g. security clearance interview) but not for a nonclassified job.
Yes, Expunged! Not esponged (which would I guess mean encased in sponges?). Thanks J.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by chavala
Yes, Expunged! Not esponged (which would I guess mean encased in sponges?). Thanks J.
Squeezed out of a sponge, like dirty water.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 7:31 pm

Curious if anyone who was denied GE has been getting Pre-Check.

Last edited by my83mlb; Nov 8, 2013 at 1:00 pm
Old Nov 12, 2013, 6:04 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by Chrisinhouston
The CBA was very nice but told me I would have to have the court write a letter or something explaining this was basically an old closed case and of no interest to the court. I now live in Texas and can't get anyone in Georgia to help via email or phone and one can only imagine where or if the original records exist. The agent gave me 30 days but I had to travel overseas for most of that so I just let it go.

What I don't know and forgot to ask is if I had told them on my application about the arrest in my youth if it would have garnered me a denial...
Happened to a friend of mine too. He had to hire a lawyer and have it expunged. Cost about a thousand if I remember correctly. Probably worth doing it as many jobs are now getting FBI checks which would show the arrest.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)

If the arrest was expunged, you are correct is saying "no". However, you need to make sure that the FBI got a copy of the court order saying it was expunged. If not, you were not according to them. YOu can also carry a copy of the court order
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:56 am

I'd like to apply for Global Entry but am worried that two DUI convictions I have on my record will prevent me from attaining this. One was 26 years ago in Canada and the other was 23 or 24 years ago in California. Needless to say I don't drink at all now and have not for many, many years. I am now a US citizen and had no problem gaining my citizenship after fully disclosing both of these convictions.

Has anyone else with a DUI conviction secured (NOT BEEN DENIED) global entry? If yes, can you share your experience?

Thanks.

Last edited by Cdnblue; Nov 12, 2013 at 11:07 am
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:02 am

Trusted Traveller and Glbal entry

What is the process to enable one with a Global entry card to use the trusted traveler line. I have had different responses from the TSA and would like to carry some regulation or policy to shut them up.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by squeakr
1) it may be that the description didn't match the charge, but my GUESS (and it's only a guess) is that a wet reckless is still considered a DUI and they denied you based on your having had a DUI
2) GE takes DUI's seriously. NOT saying they should, just that they seem to.
3) Since you're already out the $$ why NOT appeal?
So from this should I extrapolate out that a DUI conviction will garner me an automatic denial?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Dave Banerjee
What is the process to enable one with a Global entry card to use the trusted traveler line. I have had different responses from the TSA and would like to carry some regulation or policy to shut them up.
Enter your PassID number (from the back of your card) in the Trusted Traveler field of your reservation and then after you get your boarding pass see whether the TSA scanner gives three beeps (PreCheck) or one beep (regular TSA flishness). This is not the right thread for such discussion, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.