Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 6:07 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Does the application ask about arrests at all? I recall a question about convictions but not arrests.

That said, stop worrying about what you answer as long as it is the truth. They'll see your record if it is there on the screen, even if you answer "no". If they can't see it and you answer "yes" they won't bother with it much, if at all.

I answered "no" to convictions, the interviewer saw the arrest on my record (felony and 4 misdemeanors for what its worth), I provided documents showing I wasn't convicted, and all was well.

Get caught lying and you might as well just send me the $100 for all the good it will do you.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
My application asked about arrests, not convictions.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
Does the application ask about arrests at all? I recall a question about convictions but not arrests.

That said, stop worrying about what you answer as long as it is the truth. They'll see your record if it is there on the screen, even if you answer "no". If they can't see it and you answer "yes" they won't bother with it much, if at all.

I answered "no" to convictions, the interviewer saw the arrest on my record (felony and 4 misdemeanors for what its worth), I provided documents showing I wasn't convicted, and all was well.

Get caught lying and you might as well just send me the $100 for all the good it will do you.
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
My application asked about arrests, not convictions.
Actually, the question on the GOES online application I was working on yesterday was specifically about "criminal convictions". Anecdotally, people have said that in the interview they were asked if they'd ever been arrested, which is obviously not the same as convicted.

There was also a separate question re ever bringing fruit into the country.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
And see also that in the interview I'll be asked if I've ever been arrested. How do I answer these questions? I won't lie, but I don't really know what the honest answer to these would be. My gut says "no" to criminal conviction but "yes" to arrest. At the same time, I don't want to reveal anything that is not legally required, as long as I'm being honest. If I say yes to arrest in the interview, will that be an automatic denial of GE? If I say no will I be lying? I just don't really understand how juvenile offenses and expungement work, I guess.

... Should I answer yes or no to the question about ever bringing fruit into the country?
Not really sure why this is so complicated. Don't lie. Disclose everything and let the investigator sort it out. See post 353.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Actually, the question on the GOES online application I was working on yesterday was specifically about "criminal convictions". Anecdotally, people have said that in the interview they were asked if they'd ever been arrested, which is obviously not the same as convicted.

There was also a separate question re ever bringing fruit into the country.
It gets worse than that ... I've never been arrested or in any kind of trouble but STILL had an issue during my interview.

A long time ago, someone broke into one of my computers and used it to commit some kind of cyber crime. Some federal agents came to my home and seized my computer. It was returned to me months later when it was determined that I didn't do anything.

Never arrested, never charged with a crime, just another victim of whatever happened, but apparently a record of the seizure came up during my interview.

The CBP officer was nasty. I was humiliated. I was called a liar. I was told my story 'doesn't add up' and sounds like nonsense. Only after I offered to call the federal agent who handled the case (I still have his cell # in my phone) did the CBP agent change his tune and say "I guess I'm inclined to believe you, but this will have to go to my supervisor." He then made a show of pointing out that GE is a TRUSTED traveler program...

I walked out of the interview thinking that I wasn't going to get a GE card. I felt like Arlo sitting on the Group W bench, except I wasn't even a litterbug! I did get my approval email later that evening.

So my point is to declare EVERYTHING. Since they asked about arrests and convictions and such, the thought to say "I was suspected of a crime once but I was just another victim" never crossed my mind. I guess a box on the form that says: "Has the government ever suspected you of being a criminal?" might cause the ACLU to go nuts. Besides, the answer for all 300 million of us is YES these days ...
Old Sep 1, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
The CBP officer was nasty. I was humiliated. I was called a liar. I was told my story 'doesn't add up' and sounds like nonsense. Only after I offered to call the federal agent who handled the case (I still have his cell # in my phone) did the CBP agent change his tune and say "I guess I'm inclined to believe you, but this will have to go to my supervisor." He then made a show of pointing out that GE is a TRUSTED traveler program...
And just so folks don't forget, there are many people -- myself, my husband, and acclaimed New York Times travel writer Seth Kugel, to name three -- who've been denied GE for no stated reason, despite no legal trouble whatsoever. All of us have contacted the ombudsman and had our requests for reconsideration ignored.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/tr...the-price.html

In our case it wasn't the $200 down the drain that stung as much as the rude and unprofessional behavior of the CBP interviewer, who treated my husband, a clergyman and returned Peace Corps volunteer, as if he were on trial for a parole violation.

After the ombudsman's refusal to help, and convinced we were victims of mistaken identity, I filed two FOIA requests but had both rejected for supposed lapses that hadn't been described in the instructions. It became apparent that they'd simply keep inventing reasons to reject my requests until they'd worn me down.

They succeeded.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eric Westby
And just so folks don't forget, there are many people -- myself, my husband, and acclaimed New York Times travel writer Seth Kugel, to name three -- who've been denied GE for no stated reason, despite no legal trouble whatsoever. All of us have contacted the ombudsman and had our requests for reconsideration ignored.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/tr...the-price.html

In our case it wasn't the $200 down the drain that stung as much as the rude and unprofessional behavior of the CBP interviewer, who treated my husband, a clergyman and returned Peace Corps volunteer, as if he were on trial for a parole violation.

After the ombudsman's refusal to help, and convinced we were victims of mistaken identity, I filed two FOIA requests but had both rejected for supposed lapses that hadn't been described in the instructions. It became apparent that they'd simply keep inventing reasons to reject my requests until they'd worn me down.

They succeeded.
Law enforcement in this country has an extreme case of thinking they are always right.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 4:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Originally Posted by flyerCO
However you still have GE correct? Thus you qualify for it at least until the current GE expires. IMO CBP's systems are pretty good at determining eligibility at least for the portion that the computer controls. The part that's human decision drive can be another story.

I'm doubting they'd get rid of your APEC unless they decide to cancel your current GE.

In all likelihood though I'm willing to bet that your GE renewal will go through. You just got an ornery CBP agent who either is high on power and/or one that feels that no one should be able to breeze through.
You were right. The renewal came through today. Whew! Guess she just wanted to make me sweat.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt

Agreed. I answered truthfully on the application. I have no convictions, criminal record, etc. During the interview the officer asked me about arrests and also if I've ever appeared in front of a judge for any reason. I had no idea what he had access to so I assumed he had access to everything. And there's no reason to lie. 15 to 20 years ago I was caught driving on a suspended license (paperwork error, really) and was arrested. It seemed silly but I shared it with him and we joked about the whole incident. 5 minutes later I was approved.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I'm kind of torn about this. I honestly don't even want to deal with trying to get an interview (b/c none in my state; would have to do it while traveling) and then risking getting denied b/c of a teenage idiotic mistake. With $100 down the drain. I have Amex Plat, which will also reimburse for TSAprecheck. Because I only travel internationally about 1-2x per year, I think I'm going to just do the TSAprecheck. They offer it at my local airport and it seems like they are going to be a little easier on juvenile infractions. Good grief. I just don't want the headache of GE app, cost, interview, blah blah blah for only 2x/year. Plus, I'm usually traveling with my kids, who don't have GE and who won't be getting it b/c it's not worth the money for so few uses.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
I'm kind of torn about this. I honestly don't even want to deal with trying to get an interview (b/c none in my state; would have to do it while traveling) and then risking getting denied b/c of a teenage idiotic mistake. With $100 down the drain. I have Amex Plat, which will also reimburse for TSAprecheck. Because I only travel internationally about 1-2x per year, I think I'm going to just do the TSAprecheck. They offer it at my local airport and it seems like they are going to be a little easier on juvenile infractions. Good grief. I just don't want the headache of GE app, cost, interview, blah blah blah for only 2x/year. Plus, I'm usually traveling with my kids, who don't have GE and who won't be getting it b/c it's not worth the money for so few uses.
You'll be fine for precheck. Even if you are an adult with felony convictions you can easily get precheck. The "interview" is basically just getting your fingerprints done and asking a couple questions on a small screen similar to a credit card signature capture machine and the "interviewer" I had was with the same company that did interviews for truck driver licenses. You are asked if you have been convicted of several crimes and the crimes listed are one that should put someone on a Do Not Fly list.

I was told you can have one misdemeanor as an adult and a lot of times it won't disqualify you if it's over ten years old. But if you are flying with kids anyway internationally and it's only once or twice a year, I wouldn't bother with ge and go with precheck.

Last couple times I flew internationally I landed in airports that had the computerized kiosks and they worked really fast anyway. I still had to see an officer but I was out of the airport very fast and if every airport gets those machines, it won't be worth the time driving to the airport for an interview for GE
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
You'll be fine for precheck. Even if you are an adult with felony convictions you can easily get precheck. The "interview" is basically just getting your fingerprints done and asking a couple questions on a small screen similar to a credit card signature capture machine and the "interviewer" I had was with the same company that did interviews for truck driver licenses. You are asked if you have been convicted of several crimes and the crimes listed are one that should put someone on a Do Not Fly list.

I was told you can have one misdemeanor as an adult and a lot of times it won't disqualify you if it's over ten years old. But if you are flying with kids anyway internationally and it's only once or twice a year, I wouldn't bother with ge and go with precheck.

Last couple times I flew internationally I landed in airports that had the computerized kiosks and they worked really fast anyway. I still had to see an officer but I was out of the airport very fast and if every airport gets those machines, it won't be worth the time driving to the airport for an interview for GE
THANK YOU. Seriously. I was hemming and hawing about this and your reply made me feel much better about just letting the whole GE thing go. I was getting all whipped up about something that happened 30 years ago b/c it might mean I waste $100 and interview time on a failed GE app. So YAY I'm going to go with TSA precheck and feel good about it all. Dang. SO much easier logistically and emotionally. And yeah, I don't really need GE w/ so few international flights. Appreciate the advice.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 10:33 pm

Odd Questions

I had my interview in Seattle perhaps a year ago. The uniformed young TSA punk in the office gratuitously decided to ask me about marijuana use. I am a 61 year old physician and look the part. I challenged him on why he asked and he made the smug point of stating that it is illegal Federally and was clearly itching to show who was in charge. No matter that it was ubiquitous in WA at the time for medical use and since then has become legal for recreational use. I have zero history of arrests, which as I age is less and less a point of pride given the many good reasons to question authority that I have backed down from over the years.

Rather than get into an argument about his line of questioning and be denied, I gave the 'right' answer, deescalated by stopping my questioning, and my card arrived shortly.

Language redacted by moderator - offensive and uncalled for in the practical Forum

Last edited by squeakr; Sep 8, 2014 at 9:43 am Reason: Language redacted by moderator - offensive and uncalled for in the practical Forum
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by BrianGrant
I had my interview in Seattle perhaps a year ago. The uniformed young TSA punk in the office gratuitously decided to ask me about marijuana use.
Since you mention getting your card, I assume you must be talking about GE. Note that the officer who interviewed you had nothing whatsoever to do with TSA. He was with CBP.

The distinction may seem academic, but it's actually important. Many travelers have noticed a distinct pro-traveler shift from TSA over the past year, while we've seen nothing of the sort yet from CBP.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:22 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I'm not surprised CBP asked about pot at an interview in Seattle - they ARE going to be looking for it at the border and certainly don't want someone driving back from BC with a bunch of bricks in the trunk using their GE card in the NEXUS lane.

Giving the 'right' answer and clamming up - you have all the wisdom of a 61 year old physician. I wonder how many other FTers would have screwed the pooch there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.