Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by drewguy
Speculation here, but perhaps CBP associated the violation with your GE profile and that triggered a renewal request that was a basis for denying your renewal.
Actually there may be an easier explanation, although it requires an admission that I am getting old and senile. It is POSSIBLE that I actually have been in Global Entry longer than 2011. I didn't even realize the program is that old. I remember that at first i didn't have a card - just the sticker on my passport - and that much later I requested one. Perhaps the 2011 acceptance letter was about my card, although I was already a member of the program. On the website my account only has that one letter of acceptance from 2011 but it is possible I deleted any older messages at the time. Quite frankly, I don't remember what year I enrolled. That being said, the 2009 violation I do remember because I was annoyed that it caused a delay and I am positive I filled out the customs card for our family, and if I had GE at that time I don't know if I would have done that. He didn't for sure, he only applied last year. Maybe I filled out the card because he didn't have GE. Oh, I don't know. It's driving me crazy. If they called me back at least I would get to ask some questions!
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
Speculation here, but perhaps CBP associated the violation with your GE profile and that triggered a renewal request that was a basis for denying your renewal.
How come CBP did not know it during his/her initial application?

When I was updating my passport info at IAD, I overheard some interview questions. Boy, it was intense for several people.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jade_BR
It's driving me crazy. If they called me back at least I would get to ask some questions!
Maybe a trip to either IAD or BWI. BWI opens on both weekend days. It seems that BWI office is relatively new, you might be able to talk to a person there than that of at IAD. I once called IAD at around 6 PM, a person answered. Maybe you can try to call later in the day. They close at 9 PM I believe.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:52 pm

I remember my interview being easy and quick. I remember being surprised because I am Brazilian, naturalized American in 2005 but retained dual citizenship. My husband - the owner of the infamous lunch meat - is American-born but he doesn't travel nearly as much as I do, or to the places I go.

I remember my interview. I remember the lunch meat episode. I just can't remember when this stuff actually happened. I don't have my card on me, does anyone know if your enrollment date shows on the card?
Old Jun 11, 2013, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by mi88ke
Maybe a trip to either IAD or BWI. BWI opens on both weekend days. It seems that BWI office is relatively new, you might be able to talk to a person there than that of at IAD. I once called IAD at around 6 PM, a person answered. Maybe you can try to call later in the day. They close at 9 PM I believe.
Thank you! I will try calling tonight.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:20 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I remember my interview being easy and quick. I remember being surprised because I am Brazilian, naturalized American in 2005 but retained dual citizenship. My husband - the owner of the infamous lunch meat - is American-born but he doesn't travel nearly as much as I do, or to the places I go.

I remember my interview. I remember the lunch meat episode. I just can't remember when this stuff actually happened. I don't have my card on me, does anyone know if your enrollment date shows on the card?
(1)If you log-on to your GE account, you should see when you first enrolled. (2)You should also have gotten a confirmation letter (via email), can you search your old emails, to see the date it was sent?
Old Jun 12, 2013, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by nrr
(1)If you log-on to your GE account, you should see when you first enrolled. (2)You should also have gotten a confirmation letter (via email), can you search your old emails, to see the date it was sent?
The initial enrollment date does not show on my GE account, nor does it show on the card. The card shows only the issue date (2011) and the expiration date (my birthday, 2013). I switched email accounts a few years ago, and don't have access to emails older than 2010. Regardless, I won't be able to clear this up and understand what's happening until I can get a hold of a supervisor at Dulles. And that's proving quite challenging.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by Ari
Isn't GE membership good for 5 years? Why would you have to renew 2 years later?
Yes, it's odd. To be honest I am not even sure I enrolled in 2011. It seems it's been longer than that, but the 2011 date is what shows on my account online and on my GE card. Now, I do remember that when I first signed up for GE there was no card, only a sticker on the passport. I requested the card much later - so that might be why it's showing 2011 when in fact my membership is older. I have a terrible memory for dates.

I want to at least present my case but it's been impossible to get a hold of anyone at IAD enrollment center. No one calls back and I've left close to 10 messages. I wrote to the ombudsman too but I read on a different thread that it can take months to hear from him.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 2:18 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The initial enrollment date does not show on my GE account, nor does it show on the card. The card shows only the issue date (2011) and the expiration date (my birthday, 2013). I switched email accounts a few years ago, and don't have access to emails older than 2010. Regardless, I won't be able to clear this up and understand what's happening until I can get a hold of a supervisor at Dulles. And that's proving quite challenging.
I just logged onto my GE account I see under the area "subject": approval notification (with a date), this was the date I had my interview. [I also received my acceptance notification on that date.]
Another area titled "program": trusted traveler program, there is an expiration date: my birthday in 2014 [5 years after my initial enrollment.]
Cards didn't exist in 2009, so I don't have a GE card.
PS: gmail from google is free, and they essentially give you unlimited storage space [I have 10 GB now, and have used close to 6 GB, but the maximum periodically is raised]--why not use gmail?

Last edited by nrr; Jun 12, 2013 at 2:25 pm
Old Jun 12, 2013, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by nrr
I just logged onto my GE account I see under the area "subject": approval notification (with a date), this was the date I had my interview.
Another area titled "program": trusted traveler program, there is an expiration date: my birthday in 2014 [5 years after my initial enrollment.]
Cards didn't exist in 2009, so I don't have a GE card.
I see that too, but my "subject: approval notification" has a 2011 date. I THINK that is when I got the card, not when I was approved for membership because as many people pointed out, I would not be renewing after only 2 years in the program.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 2:48 pm

I see that too, but my "subject: approval notification" has a 2011 date. I THINK that is when I got the card, not when I was approved for membership because as many people pointed out, I would not be renewing after only 2 years in the program.
I don't think when you got approved for membership really matters all that much. It would appear that CBP has found that you are ineligible for the program due to your 2009 violation. This could happen at a renewal or it could just happen at any time while you are in the program as records are periodically run to ensure compliance with program rules by applicants and accurate information by CBP's reviewers.

I think your best bet is the ombudsman. However, that is a long process.

FB
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
I plan on applying essentially to get precheck. I am trying to decide between Global Entry, Nexus and Sentri (I know global entry is the most expensive). As far as having one traffic ticket about two years back would one be better to apply to than the other or is there essentially no difference? My only real concern as far as being approved is the one speeding ticket.
Thanks
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by zgscl
My only real concern as far as being approved is the one speeding ticket.
For Nexus you'll have t be interviewed in both Canada and the US. Unless you live near the US/Canadian border the difference in price is likely to be more than offset by your travel to it. If all you have is a run-of-the-mill speeding ticket you have nothing to worry about with any of these programs. Sentri, by the way, requires you to appear near the Mexican border and is quite a bit more expensive than GE
Old Jun 20, 2013, 10:29 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
For Nexus you'll have t be interviewed in both Canada and the US. Unless you live near the US/Canadian border the difference in price is likely to be more than offset by your travel to it. If all you have is a run-of-the-mill speeding ticket you have nothing to worry about with any of these programs. Sentri, by the way, requires you to appear near the Mexican border and is quite a bit more expensive than GE
Thank you that is helpful. I have read in this thread that people have been turned down for it (certainly for DUI) but I think the issue was not reporting it IIRC. I am salt lake based so as you point out I don't think the trip to either the northern or southern border will be worth the $50...
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Platinum
Coming back to this forum after a long time now...

A few years back, I applied for GE and was denied. Either had to do with my nationality (Pakistan) or the fact that I had traffic violations on my record (speeding etc) which I cant remember if I checked Yes or No to.

Fast forward to now.... Over the last 2 years, i have traveled a lot for work (passport completely filled). Almost always went through really fast in CBP process (with just a few cases taking longer in the last 20+ trips). A few times got Pre-Check beeps too... Last change: I will become a US citizen next week.

With that history:
1) Should I even apply for GE with the prior rejection? Have there been cases of approvals after a prior rejection?
2) Should I apply now (as PK citizen) or after becoming a US citizen?

tx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.