Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Given that Mr. Riskus and I are among the only ones here willing to disclose our real names, the posts questioning our integrity seem churlish.
I have no doubt you were honest. I didn't question anyone's integrity. I think it is likely that someone looked at (in Mr. Riskus' case) all the conspiracy nutjobs associated with web sites that contain his name/contact inf and lumped him in with that.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 7:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I think it is likely that someone looked at (in Mr. Riskus' case) all the conspiracy nutjobs associated with web sites that contain his name/contact inf and lumped him in with that.
There is some history of that kind of stuff happening and hitting people at border-crossings/POEs.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 7:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I have no doubt you were honest. I didn't question anyone's integrity. I think it is likely that someone looked at (in Mr. Riskus' case) all the conspiracy nutjobs associated with web sites that contain his name/contact inf and lumped him in with that.
Thanks, and apologies if I sounded peeved. More than once, in another thread, a helpful poster said essentially "Well you must have done something. CBP knows what it's doing!" The funny thing is I might have believed them myself before it happened to me.

No doubt mine is an edge case. Still, it's pretty sad that even the ombudsman's office doesn't bother replying to queries.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:05 am

ive been pulled over for speeding before but nothing serious. nothing like this or drug use was brought up in my interview either so id think those didnt have anything to do with it.

i want to reapply asap just to get another interview and this time voice my concerns or ask more questions about why i was denied.

i wish this stuff didnt bother me so much.

i dont have a problem being denied so much as i do not understanding why. if i got an actual reason for being denied i could go on with my life without wondering why at least.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by riskus
ive been pulled over for speeding before but nothing serious. nothing like this or drug use was brought up in my interview either so id think those didnt have anything to do with it.

i want to reapply asap just to get another interview and this time voice my concerns or ask more questions about why i was denied.

i wish this stuff didnt bother me so much.

i dont have a problem being denied so much as i do not understanding why. if i got an actual reason for being denied i could go on with my life without wondering why at least.
Well they wouldn't ask about drug use or moving violations. They'd just find it on a background check.

Everyone I've spoken with recommends one should not reapply immediately, especially just to ask questions or to vent. That would be pointless, since the next interviewing agent you'd get wouldn't be the one who denied you in the first place. The chance you'd be accepted on your second try is essentially nil.

I too wish there were more transparency. This experience has changed my thinking about government secrecy a bit.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:54 pm

Curious if TSA's expanded Pre-Check will use a different criteria for acceptance or denial than Global Entry. Do you get a clean slate applying for Pre-Check? Or are you certain to be rejected by the TSA if you've already been denied Global Entry?

I've heard theories both ways. On one hand, all the agencies harvest the same information about you - it all comes from the FBI. BUT, from what I read, the TSA is looking to weed out only specific threats to transportation safety: those who've been convicted of violent crimes, gun possession, etc.

Any thoughts on this?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 3:06 pm

my83mlb you have an interesting question and I am wondering the exact same thing. Based on my personal experience, having my GE revoked for mysterious reasons and the Ombudsman not responding (even after 6 months) .. I guess there is a high probability that the GE system harvests their own unique information about traveler risk that is totally separate from other agencies. The reason I believe this is because I go through a special government background check every few years that is 10x more thorough than GE, and I have never had a problem sailing through that check, including recently. That special check involves every government and law enforcement database that ever exists. So I am guessing that GE's havests their own data on travelers. Also I know that sometimes government agencies compete with each other and sometimes government agencies don't even trust each other!
Old Oct 11, 2013, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by my83mlb
Curious if TSA's expanded Pre-Check will use a different criteria for acceptance or denial than Global Entry. Do you get a clean slate applying for Pre-Check? Or are you certain to be rejected by the TSA if you've already been denied Global Entry?
Everything I've heard indicates that Pre-Check is an order of magnitude easier to get than GE. (And GE is pretty easy to get, if you're willing to sit through the interview. Didn't stop them from denying me for mysterious reasons though.) Makes sense really: GE is essentially carte blanche to sail through customs carrying God knows what. CBP has no incentive to give GE to anyone they think might remotely consider pulling a fast one to save a few bucks.

TSA, meanwhile, just has to determine who's a threat to the aircraft. A much, much smaller group of people.

Having been rejected for GE, I nevertheless fully expect to be granted Pre-Check when the standalone memberships become available.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by riskus
Eric,

Have you received anything back from the Ombudsman? Also how did you contact them? Did you send an email or a letter?

I had my interview today and i just received my denial over email.

I was given the same generic "Failure to meet the strict standards of the Trusted Traveler Program." reason.

I have never been arrested or had any problems with customs so I am baffled to why I was denied. I thought the interview went fine. The only think I thought was weird was after he asked me where I travel for work, which i replied london and spain, he asked about afghanistan. I said no and i figure he was joking because i have a big beard. FWIW, ive never been to the middle east and the only countries I have been too are england, france, and japan.

Im really nervous im going to get the same generic response from my appeal and im left paranoid that something bad is mistakenly coming up in my background check and I will never know what it is.
Has anyone tried a FOIA request to find out why they were turned down?
Old Oct 11, 2013, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I'll probably go that route if the ombudsman's office is as uncommunicative for me as it's been for others.

I'll wait until my Pre-Check acceptance has cleared first though.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
I tried the FOIA request and followed their instructions exactly. I received a letter back that said I need to prove my identity with a sworn statement before they can proceed. However I already provided that on the original letter. When I searched the web, I found another story of someone who followed the FOIA instructions exactly but also bounced back with a request to prove their identity. I haven't had time to continue to play these games.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 3:35 am
Suspended

Makes sense really: GE is essentially carte blanche to sail through customs carrying God knows what.
GE is not a carte blanche to do that. Even people with GE declare what needs to be declared; and, GE or not, others get caught failing to make appropriate declarations and losing (previous or potential future) GE participation allowances may well be the least of the passenger's worries.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
GE is not a carte blanche to do that. Even people with GE declare what needs to be declared; and, GE or not, others get caught failing to make appropriate declarations and losing (previous or potential future) GE participation allowances may well be the least of the passenger's worries.
Certainly I'm aware of the proper procedure. I guess I'm bitter because I'm such a ridiculous stickler -- paranoid about even the perception of doing something wrong, I even pre-register my electronics with customs before a trip -- and yet I was denied GE without the courtesy of an explanation.

And really, my point was that CBP needs to be quite strict, since GE members are expected to function largely on the honor system.
Old Oct 12, 2013, 9:03 am
Suspended

Certainly I'm aware of the proper procedure. I guess I'm bitter because I'm such a ridiculous stickler -- paranoid about even the perception of doing something wrong, I even pre-register my electronics with customs before a trip -- and yet I was denied GE without the courtesy of an explanation.

And really, my point was that CBP needs to be quite strict, since GE members are expected to function largely on the honor system.
I can understand being disappointed with GE denial.

Even the non-GE entries into the US by US persons are largely based on the honor system.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 8:51 pm

I think the point is, denials from Global Entry and waiting (hoping) for a response from the ombudsman will soon be moot. Unless you're been convicted of assault or a firearms-related felony, you're likely going to be approved for the stand-alone PreCheck. I would be very surprised if that weren't the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.