Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
I wonder if traveling to the middle east for business is a major security concern when the application is processed by the CBP?
Old May 14, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I applied for GE on 5/2/13. How long does it usually take to get an interview/ Still in pending review status.
Old May 22, 2013, 4:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
I applied a few months back, since I'm flying a lot for work these days. Mostly domestic, but I do have an international vacation coming up. Had my interview, and while it was more intensive than I expected, there wasn't anything alarming about it. The interviewer did seem inordinately interested in my partner, who happens to be an Episcopal priest.

Ten days pass, and I receive an email today saying that I've been denied because I "do not meet the strict standards of the program."

I'm floored! A few stats about me: I'm 44 years old, an American citizen born in the US, and have Premier Silver status on United. I traveled extensively abroad as a professional singer when I was younger, though not to any countries that would raise eyebrows among border officials. I've never been in the slightest legal trouble -- heck, I've never even been pulled over by a cop while driving.

I'll write to the ombudsperson, but it's still a strange feeling to be considered "high-risk" and under suspicion after having lived such a boring life.
Old May 22, 2013, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
I wonder if traveling to the middle east for business is a major security concern when the application is processed by the CBP?
It may be. Depends on the business affiliation and probably too often on immutable/largely-immutable characteristics of the applicant. Even a pure reliance on automatic scoring without the CBP interview aspect is likely to end up with some kind of prejudicial outcomes built in.
Old May 23, 2013, 8:44 pm

I lived in Dubai for two years in the late 2000s and was approved as was my wife.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: Paid F
Global Entry application was approved yesterday after a three-week delay!

Originally Posted by JW76
I had a felony arrest in 2011 and plea bargained down to an infraction (disturbing the peace) last year. This was brought up during the interview as NCIC lists my conviction (incorrectly) as a misdemeanor. I faxed in my court documents and am waiting to hear their decision.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by vivrant
Should I disclose a sealed juvenile misdemanor in NYS (NYC) from when I was 15?
Just wanted to share my experience.
I have two priors. One when I was 15. Another when I was 19.
On the official online application, I only disclosed the incident when I was 19 (shoplifting), which was disposed as a violation (disorderly conduct) but for reasons which are entirely my fault, never sealed. This incident at 19 was well over 10 years ago.

During the interview, the officer brought up the incident at 19 and immediately remarked that it should not pose a problem since it was ten years ago.

The officer specfically asked me if there anything else on my record, and I without hesitation said there was an offense I forgot to include on the application which occurred when I was a juvenile at 15 years old and was sealed a short time thereafter. He continued some brief questioning about if I have ever experienced any issues with Customs and Border patrol, been detained for any reason, etc. and I told him absolutely not.

He took my fingerprints.

I was approved five days later.

Edit: I would also like to add that another item in my background that gave me hestitation on being approved was my fairly extensive overseas travel, quite often to countries in Central and South America (Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia) both for business and pleasure.

Last edited by vivrant; Jun 10, 2013 at 10:53 am
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by vivrant
I was approved five days later.
Congrats! I have to say, all these approvals make me feel like the only person who's ever been denied. I'm certainly the only person on FT who was denied without having a clue as to why.

My partner -- the Episcopal priest and former federal employee with a basic security clearance -- has his interview this weekend. If he's denied too, we'll be even more dumbfounded.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Congrats! I have to say, all these approvals make me feel like the only person who's ever been denied. I'm certainly the only person on FT who was denied without having a clue as to why.

My partner -- the Episcopal priest and former federal employee with a basic security clearance -- has his interview this weekend. If he's denied too, we'll be even more dumbfounded.
sorry to hear that. if he gets denied too, it would raise potential discriminatory flags to me which would really be unfortunate.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, KLM Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Platinum
My own experience - I have been a Global Entry member since 2011, and it was time to renew. I applied for renewal online, and just yesterday received a DENIAL and TERMINATION of my membership. Reason? In 2009 before I was in the program, my family traveled to France. My husband was asleep during the flight so I filled out the customs form for the family. Without my knowledge, he had mistakenly packed lunch meat into one of his suitcases. His luggage was searched, he was fined, and that was the last time I thought about it. I was approved in 2011 with no issues. I never considered mentioning that incident because a) it wasn't in my luggage b) I had completely forgotten about it.

Now, 3 years later, I am told that not only I cannot renew my Global Entry but that I am FOREVER ineligible for membership in trusted traveler programs because of something I didn't do.

It's baffling.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:43 am

In 2011 I successfully enrolled in Global Entry and have enjoyed membership with no hiccups until now. I travel internationally an average of 10 times per year for work so the program is really valuable to me. Last month I got an email telling em my membership was due to expire so I started the renewal process. Yesterday I received two communications - one denying my renewal application, the other revoking my existing membership. The reason? A "2009 CBP violation". My initial reaction was ... but then I remembered - in 2009 the entire family traveled to France. On the way home, my husband was asleep so I filled out the customs form (didn't have Global Entry then). His luggage was flagged for search, and he had inadvertently packed lunch meat in his suitcase. He paid the fine - even had to go to the ATM with a custom agent because it was cheaper to pay cash.

Now I am being told that because I filled out the form on behalf of our family - even though the meat was not in my luggage and he admitted to mistakenly packing it - I not only cannot renew my Global Entry membership, I am FOREVER ineligible for any US trusted traveler program. I am baffled. Is anyone knowledgeable about this? What can I do???
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Jade_BR
Now I am being told that because I filled out the form on behalf of our family - even though the meat was not in my luggage and he admitted to mistakenly packing it - I not only cannot renew my Global Entry membership, I am FOREVER ineligible for any US trusted traveler program. I am baffled. Is anyone knowledgeable about this? What can I do???
Alas, this is exactly the sort of violation that is supposed to render one ineligible for GE. I suppose they figure that everyone with a customs violation in their past could come up with a good reason why it's not their fault.

It seems arbitrary and punitive, but consider yourself lucky: unlike myself, at least you know the reason for your denial.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by Eric Westby
Alas, this is exactly the sort of violation that is supposed to render one ineligible for GE. I suppose they figure that everyone with a customs violation in their past could come up with a good reason why it's not their fault.

It seems arbitrary and punitive, but consider yourself lucky: unlike myself, at least you know the reason for your denial.
I don't think I agree with your statement. I think the sort of violation they should be worried about is smuggling, misrepresenting value of goods brought into the country, that sort of thing. Basically, intentional violations. The fact that someone accidentally forgot a package of lunch meat - which no one in their right mind would WANT to bring since it would be spoiled anyway - shouldn't label that person untrustworthy, let alone the person's SPOUSE.

I'm very sorry to hear about your denial, and hope they will give you a chance to learn why.

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from the ombudsman???
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by Jade_BR
My own experience - I have been a Global Entry member since 2011, and it was time to renew. I applied for renewal online, and just yesterday received a DENIAL and TERMINATION of my membership. Reason? In 2009 before I was in the program, my family traveled to France. My husband was asleep during the flight so I filled out the customs form for the family.
Filling out one form for everyone is a good way to nail the signor, unfortunately. You do mean travel from France as there's no customs (or landing) form for most of the E.U.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's not baffling at all. Just took some time for the paper to catch up with you. The US, along with a bunch of other countries, takes agriculture violations incredibly seriously.

That said, you can appeal to the CBP GE Ombudsman for reconsideration. I would include exactly the facts you included. Yes, you should have asked your husband whether he had any of the prohibited items before checking the "no" box and signing, but you had no idea and no intent to deceive.

The worst CBP can do is deny the appeal, in which case you are no worse off than you are today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.