Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by my83mlb
I think the point is, denials from Global Entry and waiting (hoping) for a response from the ombudsman will soon be moot. Unless you're been convicted of assault or a firearms-related felony, you're likely going to be approved for the stand-alone PreCheck. I would be very surprised if that weren't the case.
^

I do feel bad for the frequent international travelers turned down without comment for whom GE itself was their goal, rather than Pre-Check.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by my83mlb
I think the point is, denials from Global Entry and waiting (hoping) for a response from the ombudsman will soon be moot. Unless you're been convicted of assault or a firearms-related felony, you're likely going to be approved for the stand-alone PreCheck. I would be very surprised if that weren't the case.
Actually, it's not "moot" at all.

1) This is a thread specifically about GE, not TSA PreCheck

2) TSA PreCheck and GE are not the same program; they have different "use cases"

Though they are certainly similar and even loosely correlated, they serve quite different and distinct purposes.

Regards
Old Oct 15, 2013, 7:26 am

[QUOTE=

This is a thread specifically about GE, not TSA PreCheck

[/QUOTE]

Exactly: it's a discussion about getting denied by Global Entry, and what options to explore (especially if you've realized waiting for a response from the ombudsman is a waste of time). TSA PreCheck might fall short for some travelers, but it's a logical Plan B, and a very attainable one at that.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 8:54 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by scubadu
Actually, it's not "moot" at all.

1) This is a thread specifically about GE, not TSA PreCheck

2) TSA PreCheck and GE are not the same program; they have different "use cases"

Though they are certainly similar and even loosely correlated, they serve quite different and distinct purposes.

Regards
CBP are trained and instructed in making passengers aware that they should get the GE/Known Traveler number into their reservations including for PreCheck benefits.

The GE number is the KT number used for PreCheck purposes too and some people are receiving the GE numbers but then denied GE participation after conditional approval letters and GE numbers are generated. It is people denied GE after GE conditional approval who may want to find out what happens when using the GE number in the known traveler field for PreCheck purposes.

As of now, the GE numbers -- even for those who have post-conditional approval denial/revocation of GE use -- are not recycled, with limited exception pursued deliberately only during a testing phase.

Also, keep in mind that a growing amount of GE enrollment has been driven by mostly domestic pax who want PreCheck/LLL outcomes way more often.

Last edited by GUWonder; Oct 15, 2013 at 9:08 am
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Has anyone tried a FOIA request to find out why they were turned down?
I can't help but wonder whether the FOIA will prove useless. They don't have to create a record that doesn't already exist under the FOIA. It is not like interrogatories in litigation where you can send them questions that they have to answer.

I could easily see them mail you back a copy of your completed GOES application, their rejection letter, and no other documents. Has anyone actually done a FOIA request on them?

Stu

PS: Here is an interesting article on the two programs. I'm not sure that it offers anything that hasn't been touched in the past 18 pages on this thread:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel...6169067.column
Old Oct 16, 2013, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. As to FOIA, agree w. Dubai Stu, while it's worth filing a request, it will take years to get anything and what you get is extremely unlikely to yield anything of value that you don't already know.

2. As to the new GE-lite program marketed by TSA, I will bet that the TSA process will check for any TT denial and use that as an immediate reason for denial. Until that becomes not the case, I don't think that GE denials ought to apply for the TSA card. While it's true that GE and pre-check are intended for different purposes, that won't likely mean anything in the context of denials.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
1. As to FOIA, agree w. Dubai Stu, while it's worth filing a request, it will take years to get anything and what you get is extremely unlikely to yield anything of value that you don't already know.

2. As to the new GE-lite program marketed by TSA, I will bet that the TSA process will check for any TT denial and use that as an immediate reason for denial. Until that becomes not the case, I don't think that GE denials ought to apply for the TSA card. While it's true that GE and pre-check are intended for different purposes, that won't likely mean anything in the context of denials.
What is GE-lite? Pay-for-PreCheck or APC kiosk use? The former has more or less nothing to do with entering the US.

There are people who get PreCheck LLL outcomes but have had GE denied/revoked.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
What is GE-lite? Pay-for-PreCheck or APC kiosk use? The former has more or less nothing to do with entering the US.

There are people who get PreCheck LLL outcomes but have had GE denied/revoked.
It's not an argument about whether it's the right thing to do, it's my prediction based on the way government bureaucracies work.

TSA asked CBP to facilitate the use of GE as a pre-check determinant and those same people will now be administering their own little version. They're not likely to think independently on this topic.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Often1
It's not an argument about whether it's the right thing to do, it's my prediction based on the way government bureaucracies work.

TSA asked CBP to facilitate the use of GE as a pre-check determinant and those same people will now be administering their own little version. They're not likely to think independently on this topic.
I am informing you what is currently taking place with regard to PreCheck outcomes even after GE is denied/revoked by CBP. Government is most frequently a creature that repeats history and otherwise tends to be a creature of inertia. Whether that changes later this year, next year or not, who knows.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I scanned the 19 pages of this thread, so sorry if I missed the answer to this.

I have just applied for a renewal and I have to go in for another interview.
I'm wondering how many this has happened to and what the reason was?
Has anyone been turned down for renewal?
I'm feeling a bit paranoid

The only appt. dates I can get locally are 4 days at the end of January.
That's it: No more appointments available for the rest of 2014. (yes 2014, not a typo). I called to ask about it and they confirmed this is true. wow.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: BA, AA, FB
Originally Posted by chavala
That's it: No more appointments available for the rest of 2014. (yes 2014, not a typo). I called to ask about it and they confirmed this is true. wow.
Appointments are only scheduled a few weeks/months in advance. Slots will certainly be made available for later (February/March onward) in 2014. And if you live close to an enrollment center, or are passing through an airport that has one, you can always try getting a walk-in interview.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Hobbes01
Appointments are only scheduled a few weeks/months in advance. Slots will certainly be made available for later (February/March onward) in 2014.
Good to know, Thanks! (I don't know why she told me that but yours makes more sense)
Old Oct 24, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by chavala
I scanned the 19 pages of this thread, so sorry if I missed the answer to this.

I have just applied for a renewal and I have to go in for another interview.
I'm wondering how many this has happened to and what the reason was?
Has anyone been turned down for renewal?
I'm feeling a bit paranoid

Check out this thread:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...any-ideas.html Some people have reported being required to have an interview before renewal. Did you have any unusual travel patterns?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by wilp888
Check out this thread:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/pract...any-ideas.html Some people have reported being required to have an interview before renewal. Did you have any unusual travel patterns?
Thanks, that's teh thread I was looking for.
Passport renewal, moved to another state, and about 15 countries in 5 years -- I supposed it could be any of those things.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I recently got Global Entry. I assume all they did was a criminal/customs check, and I was accepted.

The website says that Global Entry is for "pre-approved low risk travelers". Does that mean that anyone without a criminal record/customs violation record is "low-risk"?

Anyone aware of any specific instances of a denied application? If so, what was the (apparent) reason for the denial?
I was denied last year. I applied and went for the interview. Took the fingerprint scan etc. I was arrested and released 20 years ago. According to the Customs office there was "no disposition" to the case. I asked if there was a warrant for my arrest..and of course there wasn't. The arrest and release records have to be shown to the customs agent within two weeks.
It took over 6 months to get them from California. I'm in NY. It's been so old they are not on computer. The next step is to send the records to the Judge Advocate in Vermont. I have yet to do so. I may not bother. I will have to pay another fee, I'm unclear as to how much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.