Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; HTC6525LVW Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2062.94 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Has anyone been rejected upon renewal? I'm quite worried after my experience recently. The interview did not go well and no status change online yet.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; HTC6525LVW Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2062.94 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Has anyone been rejected upon renewal? I'm quite worried after my experience recently. The interview did not go well and no status change online yet.
Did something happen or change during your membership? My interview was nothing, only a check of my passport and asking if I was at the same address. Sounds like obviously something more probing happened during your renewal interview.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:17 pm

Last edited by BobbySteel; Sep 4, 2014 at 4:59 am
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:28 pm

I have GE. Is an interview required for renewal?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 3:55 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE

Nothing new. Apparently there were concerns about my original application? Waiting for the response officially to see what's going on. I did have to sign,but no approval notice yet.
Sounds like something popped up in your background check. Have you ever been arrested?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:35 pm

[QUOTE=dustman81]

Last edited by BobbySteel; Sep 4, 2014 at 4:57 am
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:36 pm

Last edited by BobbySteel; Sep 4, 2014 at 4:57 am
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Weirdly they approved my apec card which I did in the same session. Odd.
APEC card is a whole other issue. APEC card doesn't allow you to breeze through Immigration and Customs with little oversight. Comparing one to the other is like comparing apples to oranges. All APEC card does is allow you the benefit of not needing a Visa to visit numerous countries for Business. You could still be denied entry into a country based on past criminal record even though you have an APEC card.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:08 pm

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; HTC6525LVW Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2062.117 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by flyerCO

Weirdly they approved my apec card which I did in the same session. Odd.
APEC card is a whole other issue. APEC card doesn't allow you to breeze through Immigration and Customs with little oversight. Comparing one to the other is like comparing apples to oranges. All APEC card does is allow you the benefit of not needing a Visa to visit numerous countries for Business. You could still be denied entry into a country based on past criminal record even though you have an APEC card.

Last edited by BobbySteel; Sep 4, 2014 at 4:58 am
Old Aug 30, 2014, 6:18 pm

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.4.2; HTC6525LVW Build/KOT49H) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2062.117 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Last edited by BobbySteel; Sep 4, 2014 at 4:58 am
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

And of course having apec requires ge or Nexus. Not sure whether if rejected they'll issue then immediately revoke the apec card...
However you still have GE correct? Thus you qualify for it at least until the current GE expires. IMO CBP's systems are pretty good at determining eligibility at least for the portion that the computer controls. The part that's human decision drive can be another story.

I'm doubting they'd get rid of your APEC unless they decide to cancel your current GE.

In all likelihood though I'm willing to bet that your GE renewal will go through. You just got an ornery CBP agent who either is high on power and/or one that feels that no one should be able to breeze through.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
I'm in my 40s now, but when I was 16 living in Florida I got arrested. I had to stand in front of a juvenile court judge with the lawyer my parents hired and explain myself, etc. I had never broken the law prior and haven't since. I did some community service and was told my record would be expunged. A search of my name in the online criminal records database for that county brings up nothing. My father doesn't really remember much about it so he's no help.

So now I'm about to apply for Global Entry and see that question about criminal conviction. And see also that in the interview I'll be asked if I've ever been arrested. How do I answer these questions? I won't lie, but I don't really know what the honest answer to these would be. My gut says "no" to criminal conviction but "yes" to arrest. At the same time, I don't want to reveal anything that is not legally required, as long as I'm being honest. If I say yes to arrest in the interview, will that be an automatic denial of GE? If I say no will I be lying? I just don't really understand how juvenile offenses and expungement work, I guess.

Thought of one more thing: 20 years ago I returned from Europe and got questioned about produce/fruit. The agriculture dog was going crazy over my backpack. I had no idea why...until I remembered that I'd had a banana in there, which I ate on the plane. But the banana had stunk up my bag. After an hour of ridiculousness, I was dismissed. Should I answer yes or no to the question about ever bringing fruit into the country? I didn't bring the banana in, but they thought I had...until I explained (they never found any fruit on me). GAH!

Last edited by Stgermainparis; Aug 31, 2014 at 6:43 pm
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:07 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I'm in my 40s now, but when I was 16 living in Florida I got arrested. I had to stand in front of a juvenile court judge with the lawyer my parents hired and explain myself, etc. I had never broken the law prior and haven't since. I did some community service and was told my record would be expunged. A search of my name in the online criminal records database for that county brings up nothing. My father doesn't really remember much about it so he's no help.

So now I'm about to apply for Global Entry and see that question about criminal conviction. And see also that in the interview I'll be asked if I've ever been arrested. How do I answer these questions? I won't lie, but I don't really know what the honest answer to these would be. My gut says "no" to criminal conviction but "yes" to arrest. At the same time, I don't want to reveal anything that is not legally required, as long as I'm being honest. If I say yes to arrest in the interview, will that be an automatic denial of GE? If I say no will I be lying? I just don't really understand how juvenile offenses and expungement work, I guess.

Thought of one more thing: 20 years ago I returned from Europe and got questioned about produce/fruit. The agriculture dog was going crazy over my backpack. I had no idea why...until I remembered that I'd had a banana in there, which I ate on the plane. But the banana had stunk up my bag. After an hour of ridiculousness, I was dismissed. Should I answer yes or no to the question about ever bringing fruit into the country? I didn't bring the banana in, but they thought I had...until I explained (they never found any fruit on me). GAH!
I don't think answering 'Yes' to an arrest is an automatic dis-qualifier, as long as you weren't convicted. If you answer 'no' and they find an arrest, that would be a dis-qualifier as you were not honest in your answers. CBP has been able to find out about arrests from back in the '70s so it's better to be honest with an explanation.

Can you get something from the court showing there was no conviction?

As for the banana, I wouldn't think that would be a dis-qualifer as long you didn't bring the banana in. Those agricultural dogs have powerful noses and can pick up the smell of fruit when it is no longer in the bag.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
That's not the first time I've heard of the ag dogs finding already-consumed food.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dustman81
I don't think answering 'Yes' to an arrest is an automatic dis-qualifier, as long as you weren't convicted. If you answer 'no' and they find an arrest, that would be a dis-qualifier as you were not honest in your answers. CBP has been able to find out about arrests from back in the '70s so it's better to be honest with an explanation.

Can you get something from the court showing there was no conviction?

As for the banana, I wouldn't think that would be a dis-qualifer as long you didn't bring the banana in. Those agricultural dogs have powerful noses and can pick up the smell of fruit when it is no longer in the bag.
I agree, which was why my gut said "yes" to the arrest question. Honestly, though, I'm not even sure what the exact charge was (as pathetic as that sounds). I was a multi-talented idiot when I was 16! I've started researching online how to get my record and have emailed the FL criminal history office. Apparently FL statute allows a free personal review of your own record. So I'm hoping that, even though it was expunged, I will be able to get some sort of copy of the record. I don't think I was "convicted" but really don't know what the final disposition was. So I need to at least get that information so I CAN answer honestly. I do know I was fingerprinted. I remember that much.

Good idea to get something from the court saying I wasn't convicted. Maybe if my record copy is clear on what went down, then I can just bring that with me to interview. Better to be proactive, I think. If it's not clear, then I will pursue more info before interview. Good advise. Thanks.

And yeah, for the banana, I think you're right. I read (nytimes, I think) that a woman had had an apple in her bag and the Global Entry dude knew that in the interview! She didn't even remember. So I can truthfully say I did not bring one in, but I can also, if asked, explain what happened.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.