Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Had 2 questions on criminal activity.

I got in a little bit of trouble back in 92 with the law. I was innocent of any criminal activity but was in the wrong place at the wrong time type situation and my lawyer recomended I not take the case to court and was able to work out a plea deal where I did weekly diversion classes for 6 or 8 weeks and was told as long as I had no dealings with the court in a certain time period the case would be sealed.

That courts records are online and when I entered my name that case doesn't appear at all just a speeding ticket I had back in 1990. Will this show up in an interview for GE? I want to just say no criminal record but am nervous this may show up somehow when they do my background check. This incident happened in college and has never shown up on a criminal background check for any job applications and I was able to get a couple professional licenses that require pretty extensive criminal background check.

Other question is someone else I know that is trying to get GE. He wants it just for precheck and I told him he should just wait until the GE light for precheck is rolled out and it will be less expensive and probably will be a less rigid application process but he is insisting on applying for GE. Back in 89 he got in trouble for telephone harrasment of his then roommates girlfriend which was a M-1. It was plea bargained down to disorderly conduct which is an M-4 offense and he basically just got a handslap and a small fine and hasn't been in any trouble since.

He did check this out on the website of the city it happened in and this is showing up on their website. Will this get him banned from GE since it was an M-4 and happened over 25 years ago or will he have a good chance of them letting it slide since he hasn't been in any trouble since then and it happened so many years ago?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 5:08 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
From GE website

Q: Is criminal history a disqualifier for Global Entry?
A: Global Entry is a risk-based approach to facilitate the U.S. entry of pre-approved travelers. Applicants may not qualify for Global Entry participation if they:
Provide false or incomplete information on the application;
Have been convicted of any criminal offense or have pending criminal charges, including outstanding warrants;
Have been found in violation of any customs, immigration, or agriculture regulations or laws in any country;
Are subjects of an investigation by any federal, state, or local law enforcement agency;
Are inadmissible to the U.S. under immigration regulation, including applicants with approved waivers of inadmissibility or parole documentation; or if they
Cannot satisfy CBP of their low-risk status or meet other program requirements.

But if you get through to the interview, he/she may still clear you.

They use the FBI data base, if arrest expunged, you need to make sure local sends letter to FBI - or take copy of court record to interview
Old Nov 14, 2013, 6:13 am

Note the use of the permissive "may" rather than the mandatory "shall" in the list. I was helping a friend out who had his i68 boater certification revoked. It is sort of a boater's Nexus in that it allows recreational boaters coming from Canada to call for permission to land a US and often not be inspected. He had a minor customs violation that resulted in a $75 and loss of the status.

For the first time I thought like a lawyer (which is odd since I am a lawyer) and went to the Code of Federal Regulations ("CFR") rather than the pamphlet in a rack some place or even the CBP's website. Sitting down and forcing my way through Title 8 was interesting. Google has scanned the entire code and you can download it as an eBook to the various Google Reader apps (including the ones for iOS)>
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:22 am

I had a really unusual interview and was afraid I'd be turned down, fortunately, I was approved. The agent was unfriendly and very accusatory during the interview.

The agent first asked a few innocent questions from the application and then jumped into what felt like an interrogation.

Agent: What's your wife's name?
Me: XXXXX YYY
Agent: Have you taken a restraining order out on anyone?
Me: No
Agent: Who is ZZZZZZ MyLastName?
Me: I don't know that person...
Agent: You've never heard of ZZZZZ Mylastname?
Agent: Are you sure? Who has taken a restraining order out on you?
Me: Yes, I don't know that person. And no one.
Agent: Who is Terry Jo Bradley? (Not the real name)
Me: I don't know that person.
Agent: Have you been arrested?
Agent: Are you certain you don't know ZZZZZ MyLastName and Terry Jo Bradley?
Me: Yes, I am.
Agent: Do you still live in TX?
Me: Yes.
Agent: Hmmmmmm

By this time I was afraid someone had stolen my identity. Those names were brought up again in the interview and the agent acted as though I should know them. Later, I asked the agent why he asked so many questions about those names, but all he would tell me is that they were associated with my last name (which is odd because it's a fairly common last name). I got an approval notice a few hours later, but I'm still confused and worried about why those people were associated with me on whatever background check they ran.

Has anyone had a similarly surreal interview?

Last edited by MedPhys; Nov 22, 2013 at 11:13 am
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by MedPhys
Those names were brought up again in the interview and the agent acted as though I should know them. Later, I asked the why he asked so much about those names, but all he would tell me is that they were associated with my last name (which is odd because it's a fairly common last name).
There are a number of stories where people had their Global Entry revoked for mysterious reasons and they will not give a specific reason. Perhaps it is because of these mistaken "associations." Then it makes one wonder, where are they coming up with these erroneous associations? What is their source of information?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:55 am

I did some googling and found that the person named ZZZZZ MyLastName was born on the same day/year as me. Interesting and kind of scary that something like that may be enough to "associate" someone with an applicant.

Last edited by MedPhys; Nov 22, 2013 at 2:00 pm
Old Nov 22, 2013, 1:50 pm

Having just read through this entire thread, I am surprised that people got turned down for no apparent reason. I applied a few years ago for a Nexus card and thought I had no chance. Reason was I was one of 4 partners who imported a boat into Canada without paying any duty (until they caught up with us). Amazingly, I was approved.

So, take heart....apply and let the chips fall. I do feel sorry for those who were not approved and cannot find out why. That should never happen!!
Old Nov 22, 2013, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by pmaclell
Having just read through this entire thread, I am surprised that people got turned down for no apparent reason. I applied a few years ago for a Nexus card and thought I had no chance. Reason was I was one of 4 partners who imported a boat into Canada without paying any duty (until they caught up with us). Amazingly, I was approved.

So, take heart....apply and let the chips fall. I do feel sorry for those who were not approved and cannot find out why. That should never happen!!
These agencies how to burn money. In the news recently a GAO study found that TSA behavior profiling is no better than chance, but the agency is fighting the recommendation to scrap the program. It would be interesting to see a real study applied to the Global Entry application and revocation process as well.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:35 pm

Still wondering if getting denied by GOES has had any effect on getting PreCheck. Anyone out there having luck with TSA?
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:15 am

I was not asked, the question did not appear on the Global Entry application form "if ever arrested?" If ever convicted was asked. Has the form changed? Did I miss something? Thanks.

Last edited by zznoname; Dec 2, 2013 at 11:21 am
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The TSA program has not yet started. It originally said "this Fall". Now the website says "soon". Will be interesting to see if GE denial leads to TSA-lite denial.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by my83mlb
Still wondering if getting denied by GOES has had any effect on getting PreCheck. Anyone out there having luck with TSA?
I haven't sought out a lot of data points about the following kind of situation, but at least one minor with an arrest and incarceration history was denied Global Entry and still ends up very frequently with PreCheck LLL as indicated when scanning the boarding passes.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 5:05 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by zznoname
I was not asked, the question did not appear on the Global Entry application form "if ever arrested?" If ever convicted was asked. Has the form changed? Did I miss something? Thanks.
No, didn't change. The form asks if you were "convicted" (to which I answered 'no'), but at the interview I was asked if I was ever "arrested" (answered 'yes').

Convictions are generally disqualifying, unless the charges were minor and long ago. IIRC, felonies or misdemeanors <10 years ago disqualify.

If you have been arrested (actually, fingerprinted and booked I think is the trigger), it will show up during the interview and you will be required to demonstrate the disposition of the arrest before being granted GE privileges.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
No, didn't change. The form asks if you were "convicted" (to which I answered 'no'), but at the interview I was asked if I was ever "arrested" (answered 'yes').

Convictions are generally disqualifying, unless the charges were minor and long ago. IIRC, felonies or misdemeanors <10 years ago disqualify.

If you have been arrested (actually, fingerprinted and booked I think is the trigger), it will show up during the interview and you will be required to demonstrate the disposition of the arrest before being granted GE privileges.
CBP systems pull from many databases which include some which may show arrests where the individual wasn't booked or printed.

The key is that the CBP Officers tend to care less about the underlying matter than your honesty. Bear in mind that GE is about expedited processing on entry. Pre-check is simply a side benefit. People who lie to a CBP Officer to his face about a prior arrest will likely lie about something on entry, so they don't get GE.

The easiest way to deal with law enforcement is to be upfront. The chances that you have data about you that they don't have, is slim. Too cute can make you fee superior, except when you are stuck in a 2-hour line at a FIS somewhere.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:51 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by chavala
Yes, Expunged! Not esponged (which would I guess mean encased in sponges?). Thanks J.
Originally Posted by drewguy
Squeezed out of a sponge, like dirty water.
Or creamy filling of a Twinkie.

Originally Posted by my83mlb
Curious if anyone who was denied GE has been getting Pre-Check.
Yes, but don't put the TT ID number in your reservation.

Originally Posted by MedPhys
I did some googling and found that the person named ZZZZZ MyLastName was born on the same day/year as me. Interesting and kind of scary that something like that may be enough to "associate" someone with an applicant.
Long lost sibling?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.