Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:45 am
Suspended

So global entry gets you into pre check as well?

Last edited by greggarious; Dec 8, 2013 at 7:29 pm
Old Dec 8, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: Paid F
Originally Posted by greggarious
Would having an expunged misdemeanor be a problem? Someone jumped me and I fought back, they pressed charges, judge ended up giving me a deal that if I wasn't arrested again and did some community I'd have it expunged. Since then I've done pretty well professionally and travel a decent amount (4-6 times a year). Been thinking of doing Global Entry since it's only 15 bucks more than pre check.

I was told that when asked if I have been convicted of a crime I have the right to say no, but that if asked during a background check (e.g. secret clearance) I might have to disclose. I'd err on the side of disclosing rather than get denied for "lying".

Would this be a disqualifier? The site makes it seem like they don't refund you if you get denied.
I said "no" during the application process as I understood it was an automatic disqualifier.

However, during the interview ... a few more questions are asked. They have your record on the screen in front of them while asking, so it is best to answer truthfully.

Just in case, bring a copy of the case's final disposition to your interview. The disposition should be in their system but in my case, the final disposition (conviction reduced from misdemeanor to an infraction) was not in the database. Fortunately, I had a handy letter from the judge with me.

All was well and I was approved for GE some time later.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Is global entry worth it if I'm only flying 4-6 times a year? I'm mostly getting it for Pre check.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by greggarious
So global entry gets you into pre check as well?
If you're a US citizen, yes. You need to enter your PASS ID into the Known Traveler Number field. Your GE card alone will not get you into the Pre line.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JW76
I said "no" during the application process as I understood it was an automatic disqualifier.

However, during the interview ... a few more questions are asked. They have your record on the screen in front of them while asking, so it is best to answer truthfully.

Just in case, bring a copy of the case's final disposition to your interview. The disposition should be in their system but in my case, the final disposition (conviction reduced from misdemeanor to an infraction) was not in the database. Fortunately, I had a handy letter from the judge with me.

All was well and I was approved for GE some time later.
I can attest that a conviction is not necessarily a disqualifier.

I have a couple youthful indiscretions, one of which is a felony conviction almost 20 years ago. I later (June 2000) had it dismissed by the court. On my GE app I listed the conviction and final disposition -- I have no faith the court properly recorded the dismissal, so I'm always open about it when the question arises. I'd rather suffer through a few embarrassing minutes of explaining the situation than run the risk of being accused of withholding information or lying. I've always followed that policy -- employment background checks, CPA license, etc. Never had an issue.

During my interview, the officer asked if I had any court paperwork confirming the dismissal. I provided to him a copy and that was that. He appeared more interested in the places I've been and how long I usually stay.

I received my approval email about three hours later.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:35 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by BeatCal
From GE website

Q: Is criminal history a disqualifier for Global Entry?
A: Global Entry is a risk-based approach to facilitate the U.S. entry of pre-approved travelers. Applicants may not qualify for Global Entry participation if they:
Provide false or incomplete information on the application;
Have been convicted of any criminal offense or have pending criminal charges, including outstanding warrants;
Have been found in violation of any customs, immigration, or agriculture regulations or laws in any country;
Are subjects of an investigation by any federal, state, or local law enforcement agency;
Are inadmissible to the U.S. under immigration regulation, including applicants with approved waivers of inadmissibility or parole documentation; or if they
Cannot satisfy CBP of their low-risk status or meet other program requirements.

But if you get through to the interview, he/she may still clear you.

They use the FBI data base, if arrest expunged, you need to make sure local sends letter to FBI - or take copy of court record to interview
You can go thru the exponge process, but it never really gets everything. If your prints were sent to the FBI then you have an FBI number.

That FBI number is how you are tracked thru the system. You also get a SID (state ID) number.

Everyone that ever told me their case was exponged, still had the numbers associated with their personal info.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:38 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
No, didn't change. The form asks if you were "convicted" (to which I answered 'no'), but at the interview I was asked if I was ever "arrested" (answered 'yes').

Convictions are generally disqualifying, unless the charges were minor and long ago. IIRC, felonies or misdemeanors <10 years ago disqualify.

If you have been arrested (actually, fingerprinted and booked I think is the trigger), it will show up during the interview and you will be required to demonstrate the disposition of the arrest before being granted GE privileges.
Pretty much correct. Criminal Histories are tied to name/date of birth and fingerprints.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Often1
The TSA program has not yet started. It originally said "this Fall". Now the website says "soon". Will be interesting to see if GE denial leads to TSA-lite denial.
1 data point, I am a GE reject and was recently approved by the TSA Pre check application process.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 4:55 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by zambonisk
1 data point, I am a GE reject and was recently approved by the TSA Pre check application process.
If you don't mind, can you explain what disqualified you from GE?
Old Dec 21, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by pa3lsvt
If you don't mind, can you explain what disqualified you from GE?
I minor mistake that was over 15 years ago when I was in college, which has since been expunged, but DHS didn't care about the expungement apparently.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 9:02 pm

It appears the disqualifying offenses are different between Global Entry and PreCheck. Any criminal history at all could result in a denial from GE, including decades-old misdemeanors. But the TSA's website lists only felonies among the crimes that will keep you out of the program. The standards are clearly more relaxed for PreCheck.

Last edited by squeakr; Dec 22, 2013 at 10:34 pm Reason: clarity - GOES Is the online application,not the program
Old Dec 22, 2013, 10:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by my83mlb
The standards are clearly more relaxed for PreCheck.
As they should be, since PreCheck need concern itself only with identifying those incredibly rare individuals predisposed to terrorism. GE has an exponentially tougher mandate: to find people whose risk of breaking customs laws is so low that they can be trusted to waltz through checkpoints with almost no chance of being inspected.

Of course if someone enters the US with a new Rolex hidden in their bag, no one is physically harmed. The two really are apples and oranges.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: Hub Captive Club
Adding a data point here as I never found a specific example or set of circumstances sufficient in calming my nerves before tossing $100 to the wind on Global Entry.

I was arrested and formally charged with a theft misdemeanor about 9 years ago (crazy night in college...charge was worse than the crime I promise ) I was sent to a pre-trial diversion program where you basically check in with a probation officer and don't screw up again for a year. Once you've jumped through the hoops the prosecutor files a letter of nolle prosequi stating that you've met the requirements of their program and they will not prosecute -- case dismissed.

I received a conditional Global Entry approval and went in for the interview. The officer got to the 'have you been arrested?' question which I truthfully answered. I also was prepared with a letter of disposition of the case stating that I had completed the pre-trial diversion program and that I wasn't prosecuted for the offense. I fully expected to be denied as the letter clearly states 'theft by taking' and the details of the pre-trial program vs an outright dismissal due to lack of evidence.

I was very pleasantly surprised when the officer went through the details of everything, stated that since it was a misdemeanor and that I had a certified/notarized copy of the disposition sheet listing the nolle prosequi that I did qualify for the program (also said I was an idiot...I agreed, lol)

I received my approval letter/email a short time after leaving the interview.

Hope this data helps someone in the future.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Originally Posted by spin2nd
nolle prosequi ... nolle prosequi
My favorite words in all of legal jargon, as they were attached to a felony charge I once faced (and an associated handful of misdemeanors) and I wasn't offered any sort of program.

This is the key - to qualify for GE you must be able to demonstrate a disposition to your otherwise disqualifying charges without any finding of guilt. nolle prosequi is one of the magic words. Withdrawn is one too. I'm sure not guilty is another.

In some circumstances I'm willing to bet that these diversionary programs people get enrolled in are after a negotiated plea (of guilty or nolo contendere) and are considered probation, with a promise of future expungement. Those people are the ones having problems getting GE approval.

Your charges and mine don't require expungement (for GE purposes) since they ended without any admission or finding of guilt on our part. Expungement would be a method of "unringing the bell" of arrest but not worth it to me (even my lawyer said he didn't want to take my money to do it).

Yes, I know there are exceptions to all rules and some people qualify due to circumstances, charge severity, age, etc. My point is that disposition without findings of guilt make the charges cease to be considered for GE enrollment.

My data point as some with Global Entry and a "record" ...
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by my83mlb
It appears the disqualifying offenses are different between Global Entry and PreCheck. Any criminal history at all could result in a denial from GE, including decades-old misdemeanors. But the TSA's website lists only felonies among the crimes that will keep you out of the program. The standards are clearly more relaxed for PreCheck.
I was 100% for precheck until mid-Dec with my Delta diamond status and have been batting zero since then. Didn't get precheck one time since Dec 16.

I fly Southwest and American on occasion and decided to apply for the TSA Precheck Trusted Traveller. I have a M-4 from college for a disorderly conduct from over 25 years ago but didn't want to risk it. I only fly international once a year anyway and the center that does precheck is a lot closer to my office.

There is a list of crimes that are on the site that will disqualify you and most are serious charges like Murder, Rape charges. The other crimes they list should have you on the do not fly list IMO.

All they did was fingerprint me on Tuesday and someone asked me to verify a few questions and punch my ssn and my phone number in on a keypad and sign on a keypad. Took about 10 minutes and they took my credit card.

I had checked in for my flight for tomorrow and again no precheck. I checked my status online and my Trust Traveler number was there and I called Delta and they unchecked me in, entered the number and I checked myself back in and precheck was there^^

If someone has a misdemeanor or minor felony (surprised that forgery and theft weren't listed as disqualifying) and you want it for precheck, just go with that program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.