Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
If APC still requires standard customs inspection, then GE still wins. My first time using GE, there was a line at LAX that snaked around the carousels for normal processing. I bypassed that, going into the empty GE lane.

Plus, Pre-Check.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:55 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
APC doesn't get a fast track between the baggage claim area and the exit door for the final inspection area. That is indeed too where GE's value remains substantial too, but usually those lines move very quickly even when very long.

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
And hopefully more airports will go to the one-stop type system (like at IAH) where those with no checked bags skip the second altogether as do those with int'l-to-int'l connections. The fewer lines the better for all.
One-stop is very convenient but that is if those rather rare one-stop lines are no longer busy with flight crew members (US or otherwise). I've only seen this at two airports since it was started at least four years ago, and there too ATS was used by CBP and a referal to secondary for admissibility, customs, agriculture or other security inspections was possible whether or not ATS dependent. Back then they didn't have GE or APC kiosks when using One-Stop, but it was supposed to change at ORD and IAH in one way or another. Airport owners/operators, airlines and CBP seem to have not been as interested in One-Stop expansion as with GE and APC.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:48 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by GUWonder
APC doesn't get a fast track between the baggage claim area and the exit door for the final inspection area. That is indeed too where GE's value remains substantial too, but usually those lines move very quickly even when very long.

One-stop is very convenient but that is if those rather rare one-stop lines are no longer busy with flight crew members (US or otherwise). I've only seen this at two airports since it was started at least four years ago, and there too ATS was used by CBP and a referal to secondary for admissibility, customs, agriculture or other security inspections was possible whether or not ATS dependent. Back then they didn't have GE or APC kiosks when using One-Stop, but it was supposed to change at ORD and IAH in one way or another. Airport owners/operators, airlines and CBP seem to have not been as interested in One-Stop expansion as with GE and APC.
And to be fair, I was more referring to the one-stop for GE, not the one-stop for general pax though the int'l-to-int'l bag checking is very nice for all pax.

For GE (and now APC at ORD and IAH) one can turn left instead of right and just walk out without the customs line, which can still be a time savings.

Somewhat ironically at IAH to exit via one-stop and the carry-on only line one has to walk around the secondary customs area where you get a view of all those having bag searches (though they are building a corridor to avoid that in the future).
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
It has been reported on here that DFW now has some sort of system in place, though I have not used the "new" version at DFW recently.
At DFW it's labeled as "Carry E-Z exit."

After a a set of dedicated kiosks, you are diverted you so that you avoid the entire entry/customs/baggage area, it's amazing as long as not crowded. Started n DFW in July. ORD has it too, I believe.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:53 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by JonNYC
At DFW it's labeled as "Carry E-Z exit."

After a a set of dedicated kiosks, you are diverted you so that you avoid the entire entry/customs/baggage area, it's amazing as long as not crowded. Started n DFW in July. ORD has it too, I believe.
Houston-IAH and Chicago-ORD have the one stop system, and now DFW.

Hopefully it keeps expanding, both for GE and the general traveler.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 3:25 pm

Anyone want to play armchair lawyer for me?

Yes, I realize soliciting advice/opinions on FT isn't a great resource, however a second opinion is never a bad thing in my mind.

I always tend to get a little worried sending anything before a judge, and after my GE interview I have a need to obtain a certified copy of an expunged/sealed charge from a few years back showing the disposition of the charges. Without a judges approval, the Clerk of Court can't open/obtain a copy of the disposition to certify.

Unfortunately the CBPO was unwilling to accept the copy of the disposition I had on me, as it wasn't certified.

What I have so far:

FULLNAME
MYSTREET
MYCITYSTATEZIP

January 28, 2015

Judge of the NUMBER District of STATE
STREET
CITY STATE ZIP

Dear Judge,

I am writing in regards to Case# CASEID, which was ordered sealed and expunged from the record after completion of probation on DATE, in order to obtain a certified copy of the disposition as requested by Customs and Border Patrol Officer OFFICERNAME in relation to my application for Global Entry with the Customs and Border Patrol Office. As per the direction of the Clerk of Court, I’m writing to request the file be unsealed long enough to obtain a certified copy of the disposition and resealed after the fact.

Respectfully,

SIGNATURE

FULL NAME
DOB
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA gold
Originally Posted by nrdk

Yes, I realize soliciting advice/opinions on FT isn't a great resource, however a second opinion is never a bad thing in my mind.

I always tend to get a little worried sending anything before a judge, and after my GE interview I have a need to obtain a certified copy of an expunged/sealed charge from a few years back showing the disposition of the charges. Without a judges approval, the Clerk of Court can't open/obtain a copy of the disposition to certify.

Unfortunately the CBPO was unwilling to accept the copy of the disposition I had on me, as it wasn't certified.

What I have so far:
I was initially interviewed in January 2014 for GE. I knew that I had one misdemeanor on my record from the early '70s, but a second one that I was pretty sure had been dismissed post conviction (CA 1203.4) was still on my record. I was given 30 days to come up with some kind of final disposition document, but the best I could do was information from a phone call to the CA Department of Justice who gave me the date of the dismissal (1974) and told me it had probably not been sent to the FBI. They told me they would forward it to the FBI and that I should tell DHS to rerun my background check in 48 hours. I forwarded this info to the DHS office who interviewed me, but did not hear back. Meanwhile I attempted to find a paper record of the dismissal to no avail. After 30 days I was rejected. I sent all the documentation and information I did have to the ombudsman and eight months later I was again conditionally approved. I had an interview last week and yesterday was informed that I had been approved.

My take-away from all of this is that even if you are initially rejected there is some hope of the ombudsman process working.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:30 pm
Suspended

What I have so far:
If you -do- by any chance end up needing a lawyer (and I can't say that I have any reason to think you do/should/will)-- or for that matter if anyone else ends up requiring one in connection with a GE denial-- I recommend the one I used in the case of my denial pretty highly.

I'm definitely in the camp of "lawyers have enough clients/income without drumming up business for them" But, if anyone gets to a stage where they think a lawyer would be of help-- and it 'aint cheap, BTW-- I'd be happy to provide name. He specializes in immigration, aviation and labor law matters, so not saying he specializes in this exact thing, but I was very, very happy with his representation and expertise.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:27 am

What I have so far:
I appreciate your not wanting to have any personal information in the letter, but the state would be helpful. Different states have different laws. I'm a lawyer. My state doesn't seal files so I'm not interested in your business, but my Westlaw plan has statutes for fifty states. If you let me know the state, I can at least send you the applicable statute. Feel free to PM me.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I appreciate your not wanting to have any personal information in the letter, but the state would be helpful. Different states have different laws. I'm a lawyer. My state doesn't seal files so I'm not interested in your business, but my Westlaw plan has statutes for fifty states. If you let me know the state, I can at least send you the applicable statute. Feel free to PM me.
Are you suggesting a lawyer in the state in which the court sealed the file, whether or not the case was in Iowa?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:55 am

No. I am saying that if the state was hypothetically Iowa, I would send him privately the Iowa statute governing access to sealed files so he'd have a better idea what was involved in getting access to purchase a certified copy of the record. I'm saying that I'm not trolling for business but simply willing to do the guy a five minute favor since I have a 50 state Westlaw plan.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
I was just denied, my DUI from 2008 was set aside/not guilty. I want to appeal to ombusman, are there any success stories? what did you guys say?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:35 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by bbmatt
I was just denied, my DUI from 2008 was set aside/not guilty. I want to appeal to ombusman, are there any success stories? what did you guys say?
What was your answer when the officer asked if you were ever arrested? Do you have the court order setting aside the DUI conviction?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bbmatt
People can and do succeed in appealing to the ombusman. But you might wanna consult with someone and figure out what you wanna say compared to what you've already said/not said for greatest chances of success, IMO.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold
Originally Posted by dustman81
What was your answer when the officer asked if you were ever arrested? Do you have the court order setting aside the DUI conviction?
I did, but he basically just told me to appeal cuz they were just following a script/protocol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.