Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2015, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by InDenial7
Are there steps one can take after being denied, contacting (e-mailing and writing) the ombudsman and never hearing back? It has been 4+ months since the subject wrote and no peep from anyone. FWIW, this applicant has existing pre-check and an "official" red passport for associated government travel, yet was denied for GE due to a misdemeanor arrest 12+ years ago in college that was wiped from their record. The interviewer had no record of the arrest, but the applicant brought it up during the interview in an attempt of full disclosure when asked. If the applicant is clean enough to get secret clearances, one would think they could get GE.
Sounds like lawyer time.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:03 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Are there steps one can take after being denied, contacting (e-mailing and writing) the ombudsman and never hearing back? It has been 4+ months since the subject wrote and no peep from anyone. FWIW, this applicant has existing pre-check and an "official" red passport for associated government travel, yet was denied for GE due to a misdemeanor arrest 12+ years ago in college that was wiped from their record. The interviewer had no record of the arrest, but the applicant brought it up during the interview in an attempt of full disclosure when asked. If the applicant is clean enough to get secret clearances, one would think they could get GE.
Welcome to Flyertalk!
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Lots of US "official" (maroon/red-colored) passports are issued to those without secret clearances.

Some with secret or higher security clearances are duly or unduly denied GE.

This post of mine doesn't mean there aren't ways to push the matter to try to get cleared into GE, but do expect those pushy ways may sometimes take time and not necessarily be all that free.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP
Ombudsman response time is 8+ months. You have another 4 months to go before you can expect any sort of response or change in approval status.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
For adding to the data points provided on this site, care to share what the offense was? And, did you admit to it on your application/interview?

FWIW, stick with your GF!
1983 DWI and possession of a controlled substance in the 7th degree (lowest possible degree). Both disclosed on application.

I was approved for a NYS concealed carry permit in 1993 (still current) after a thorough investigation and have a current Federal Firearms License. I also have a certificate of relief of civil disabilities which was issued by the Court after investigation.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Sounds like lawyer time.
Not sure they're ready to go that route yet...looks like there is some more waiting time.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Lots of US "official" (maroon/red-colored) passports are issued to those without secret clearances.

Some with secret or higher security clearances are duly or unduly denied GE.

This post of mine doesn't mean there aren't ways to push the matter to try to get cleared into GE, but do expect those pushy ways may sometimes take time and not necessarily be all that free.
Yea, the official passport holder definitely has a clearance, although I am not privy to the level. This may possibly be leading to their denial...
Old Oct 28, 2015, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by BSBD
Ombudsman response time is 8+ months. You have another 4 months to go before you can expect any sort of response or change in approval status.
Thanks for the data point, looks like there will be some more waiting involved.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: SW Companion, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold, Hertz Gold
I share your pain my friend. I have had three favorably adjudicated federal background investigations in the past four years, including DoD, and I'm a current FAA-issued private pilot. During my GE interview I was asked to provide court documents showing the adjudications were withheld from a misdemeanor arrest that occurred in 2007. I provided the docs, then was notified a day later that I was denied due to being arrested (then why ask for the docs?)!

I didn't even look into the requirements before applying to GE because everyone else I know has it (including folks with prior arrest records, though I'm now realizing they were minors when the arrests occurred, which may be the difference maker). I just assumed I'd get approved with my clearances; the sad part is all I really want is TSA pre (which, ironically, I got an email from SW telling me I'm eligible for this week, lol), but figured "oh well $15 is worth it for the annual international flight"

I'm not even going to bother with the appeal, especially at an 8+ month lead time. With any luck I should have a DoD ID again in the next couple months so I'll just use that # for my TSA pre ^
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:22 pm

Chances of approval

I just applied for the Nexus pass, After the pre TSA application ( I did not know the Nexus included pre tsa priveldges at the time)
here is what I have against me( or at least every thing I can think of )
1- I forgot to mention that I travelled multiple times to St. Kitts and Nevis, I tried to amend my application , but the web site stated once submitted I can only amend it to during the interview process)
2- I did not mention my Dual citizenship, I am Egyptian and American of course.
3- When I was 19, I was charged with reckless driving. No arrests were made, the charge was later dismissed. This was a DRY reckless driving, not related to alcohol what so ever.
4- I was born in Egypt and lived there until I was 14, not sure if that usually results in denial, being form that segment of the world.
5- I had multiple speeding tickets , last one being in 2011. Al of them were offenses , none of them were misdemeanors.

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by jmichaels82
I just applied for the Nexus pass, After the pre TSA application ( I did not know the Nexus included pre tsa priveldges at the time)
here is what I have against me( or at least every thing I can think of )
1- I forgot to mention that I travelled multiple times to St. Kitts and Nevis, I tried to amend my application , but the web site stated once submitted I can only amend it to during the interview process)
2- I did not mention my Dual citizenship, I am Egyptian and American of course.
3- When I was 19, I was charged with reckless driving. No arrests were made, the charge was later dismissed. This was a DRY reckless driving, not related to alcohol what so ever.
4- I was born in Egypt and lived there until I was 14, not sure if that usually results in denial, being form that segment of the world.
5- I had multiple speeding tickets , last one being in 2011. Al of them were offenses , none of them were misdemeanors.

Thanks in advance
Welcome to FT!

My first impression is that the reviewing officer is going to wonder how come you "forgot" to mention so many things. That being said, better to address it all upfront.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:03 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
Originally Posted by lucidguy
You gotta make sure you know who you're married too!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ried-into.html
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:31 pm

A little less than five years ago I was nailed by the AZ highway patrol for possession of marijuana (maybe half a joint's worth) and possession of marijuana paraphernalia (an apple that had been used as a pipe). A K9 officer pulled me over for doing 76 in a 75 and laid down some cold-hearted justice. I was ticketed but not arrested. I hired a lawyer to fight the charges but lost and was convicted of two misdemeanors. In December 2012, my lawyer successfully filed a motion to have my convictions "set aside". Long story short, the whole thing sucked.

Now I'm interested in using a global entry reimbursement perk. I am an employed, clean-cut, and well-spoken taxpayer, but given my dark and heinous criminal past, I'm not sure if the application process is worth my time. After reading this thread, my inclination is that I should just settle for TSApre.

Has anyone received GE with a marijuana possession ticket?
Old Feb 5, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by ellingwood
A little less than five years ago I was nailed by the AZ highway patrol for possession of marijuana (maybe half a joint's worth) and possession of marijuana paraphernalia (an apple that had been used as a pipe). A K9 officer pulled me over for doing 76 in a 75 and laid down some cold-hearted justice. I was ticketed but not arrested. I hired a lawyer to fight the charges but lost and was convicted of two misdemeanors. In December 2012, my lawyer successfully filed a motion to have my convictions "set aside". Long story short, the whole thing sucked.

Now I'm interested in using a global entry reimbursement perk. I am an employed, clean-cut, and well-spoken taxpayer, but given my dark and heinous criminal past, I'm not sure if the application process is worth my time. After reading this thread, my inclination is that I should just settle for TSApre.

See? The "War on Drugs" works. Oh wait. It's a debacle on almost all levels.

Good luck with whatever you go for. I'm not global entry either. Considered it, but for the couple flights a year, I didn't bother.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by ellingwood

I'm willing to bet that you will not get GE. Keep us informed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.