Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: HiltonHonors Silver
Originally Posted by bleagle
Hey everyone...just a question.

DH and I applied for GE, and had interview on 4/16.

He was arrested and issued a ticket for something totally petty by the US Park police in 1992, which he disclosed in the interview, and stated he paid the fine. Interviewer said she needed a disposition, since her record didn't have one. We contacted the US Park Police and they apparently have no records of tickets going back that far, so they sent a letter saying that they have done due diligence and have found no record of the ticket.

I've sent that in as a disposition (since there is really no record of anything).

Thoughts from anyone on an approval or denial based on this? (We're still waiting for a decision since it was just sent this week).
Update: Final approval rec'd 5/7. Thanks everyone for your feedback!^
Old May 16, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by bleagle
Update: Final approval rec'd 5/7. Thanks everyone for your feedback!^
Congrats!

Thanks for returning and the courtesy of sharing your experience.
Old May 17, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: I've gone dormant. For now.
I applied online last Friday, still pending review. I had a banana confiscated from my backpack at LAX 7 or 8 years ago, I had taken it from the basket in D1 on Delta and didn't think anything of it, was apologetic to the CBP officer, who was stern with me but no fine or paperwork. I didn't think anything of this while filling out the application, but after reading through this thread (why am I worrying myself?) I realized I should have said "yes" to the question about customs in the application.

Should I be worried? Should I tell the CBP officer this right off the bat that I do remember the incident, should have disclosed it, and it was a good lesson on the attention needed to being compliant with CBP regulations? Just wondering how to approach if I do get an interview.

Edited to add: No criminal history, one speeding ticket for less than 10 over about 5 years ago.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:43 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion
I applied 4.28, got conditional approval 5.4, scheduled interview for today 5.19, had interview, asked if I had been arrested, told him and the adjudications, he took a pic and my finger prints, and gave me a form I would get an email in next 24-48 hours, got email that there was an update, denied. - I knew going in that my 3 arrests and 2 misdemeanor convictions would hamper my status, I don't even travel intl for work, really wanted TSA-Pre back as I got it when they gave it to Delta Platinum fliers back in 2009 and have slowly watched my frequency drop. I am not sure it is worth spending $85 for Tsa-pre after $100 for GE, I put the trusted traveler # I got assigned into my Delta profile but doubt that will help any.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by ATLWWW
I applied 4.28, got conditional approval 5.4, scheduled interview for today 5.19, had interview, asked if I had been arrested, told him and the adjudications, he took a pic and my finger prints, and gave me a form I would get an email in next 24-48 hours, got email that there was an update, denied. - I knew going in that my 3 arrests and 2 misdemeanor convictions would hamper my status, I don't even travel intl for work, really wanted TSA-Pre back as I got it when they gave it to Delta Platinum fliers back in 2009 and have slowly watched my frequency drop. I am not sure it is worth spending $85 for Tsa-pre after $100 for GE, I put the trusted traveler # I got assigned into my Delta profile but doubt that will help any.
I suggest you try the appeal process. I had misdemeanors too and got conditional approval after appeal. I wrote a very candid letter that took full responsibility for my poor decisions and that I learned my lesson. I'm sure it helped that I haven't been in any trouble since 1984.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by Schutzee
I suggest you try the appeal process. I had misdemeanors too and got conditional approval after appeal. I wrote a very candid letter that took full responsibility for my poor decisions and that I learned my lesson. I'm sure it helped that I haven't been in any trouble since 1984.
I will, is the appeal at the local CBP or write to Ombudsman?

This is what shows on the denial letter - 1995 Criminal trepass/1999 DUI/2002 Reckless driving 3 MISD/ Applicant does not meet global entry strict standards.

the 1995 was dismissed- I called the court, 1999 is obvious, 2002 was a plea from DUI to Reckless

cant hurt to ask!
Old May 19, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
I applied 4.28, got conditional approval 5.4, scheduled interview for today 5.19, had interview, asked if I had been arrested, told him and the adjudications, he took a pic and my finger prints, and gave me a form I would get an email in next 24-48 hours, within 30 mins got email that there was an update, denied.
Sorry to learn your denial. Did you include your arrest and adjudication in your application?
Old May 19, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP

This is what shows on the denial letter - 1995 Criminal trepass/1999 DUI/2002 Reckless driving 3 MISD/ Applicant does not meet global entry strict standards.

the 1995 was dismissed- I called the court, 1999 is obvious, 2002 was a plea from DUI to Reckless

cant hurt to ask!
You need to write the Ombudsman. Be aware that response time is 8 months or more.

In the meantime, you might consider applying for TSA PreCheck. The standards are lower, so you've got a better chance of getting that, and 8 months is a long time to wait for your appeal response.
Old May 19, 2016, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Sorry to learn your denial. Did you include your arrest and adjudication in your application?
I did, I realized after I paid the $100 and did some research that I was pretty much hosed, just seems they could have known all this after my initial application and then made a determination, if that wasn't satisfactory then let me appeal and spend a couple of hours going to ATL and back.
Old May 19, 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by BSBD
You need to write the Ombudsman. Be aware that response time is 8 months or more.

In the meantime, you might consider applying for TSA PreCheck. The standards are lower, so you've got a better chance of getting that, and 8 months is a long time to wait for your appeal response.
That was really my intention, then a friend was like "for $15 more you can get Global Entry", I dont travel intl for work and when I do my wife is with me so it wouldnt be of value anyway, I should have just not done GE ap
Old May 20, 2016, 5:34 am

cant hurt to ask!
I emailed the Ombudsman. Good luck.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:48 pm

Question re Arrests

Is an arrest for not paying a fine for a speeding ticket back in 1974 something that is to be disclosed on the application for an "arrest"? My husband made that unfortunate mistake; we are assuming that is not on his record, but don't know. Any info that we need to put this in when the application is completed would be appreciated.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:54 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Pics4katz
Is an arrest for not paying a fine for a speeding ticket back in 1974 something that is to be disclosed on the application for an "arrest"?
Unless putting quotes around the word "arrest" somehow makes it less of an arrest, yes.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:21 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pics4katz
Is an arrest for not paying a fine for a speeding ticket back in 1974 something that is to be disclosed on the application for an "arrest"? My husband made that unfortunate mistake; we are assuming that is not on his record, but don't know. Any info that we need to put this in when the application is completed would be appreciated.
Not paying the fine could (in some jurisdictions) turn the original speeding ticket (an "infraction" in many jurisdictions) into a criminal issue.
There are (pay) services which will search for (criminal) offenses appearing on one's record; if you have any doubts you might solicit one of those services. [Are any of those services which advertise on the internet honest...]
Old May 26, 2016, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by jspira
Unless putting quotes around the word "arrest" somehow makes it less of an arrest, yes.

I guess my question really relates to the year the arrest happened, in 1974. I am not familiar with how long these types of arrests for not paying a infraction speeding ticket remain on your record; it would seem that since it happened over 40 years ago you would not have to disclose it. But I guess it might be better to disclose it in case a denial is issued for not disclosing it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.