Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2015, 11:38 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pushthelimit
I will disclose everything. Here is what I'm planning to say. "

On the online application it asks if I've been convicted of a crime. I think I put no, but I was arrested and charged with an infraction about 5 years ago for underage drinking. I'm not sure if that counts as a crime."

This will be fine right?
Yeah, sounds good.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

On the online application it asks if I've been convicted of a crime. I think I put no, but I was arrested and charged with an infraction about 5 years ago for underage drinking. I'm not sure if that counts as a crime."

This will be fine right?
Did you receive some sort of fine or jail time for this infraction? If so, you should mention that.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by 747FC
Did you receive some sort of fine or jail time for this infraction? If so, you should mention that.

This will be fine right?
What infractions come with jail time? None.

A speeding ticket is an infraction, as is jaywalking...there is a fine and that's it. You have a record but it is not necessary to mention it for GE. If the application asked specifically if you were arrested, and you were, then you should answer that..but it doesn't. If you were only issued an infraction and you are sure it was not a misdemeanor or felony then I would not report it.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:04 pm

This will be fine right?
Were you convicted of a criminal offense? Those are the words used on the application.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Answered NO on GE application but they found and I completely forgot a conviction as a minor some 30 years ago even though all records were to be sealed. Interviewer asked about it in such a wired way and referencing the wrong state that I still did not remember it. After a while the light bulb finally went off and I explained what I remembered.

Was still approved without issue or delay.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
What infractions come with jail time? None.
Correct, but the OP has been vague in his reports to this forum, so all is on the table until he might choose to clear it up.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 10:20 am

Approved with a past DUI

Here is my case, and I was approved. I had my interview on 6/14/2015.

I was arrested for a DUI in 1999.

I filled out the application and checked no for the question about convictions. At the time I thought that a plead of "No Contest" was not a conviction, but rather a plea bargain. This is incorrect, by entering a plea of no contest I was convicted of the DUI.

When I found this out, I thought I was going to not be approved because it might look like I was trying to hide something. I found this out before my interview. I went to the interview thinking I had a good chance of being denied.

When I was asked the question about being arrested, I told the officer about the 1999 arrest, and I immediately told him about my plea of no contest. I told him how I think I should have answered the conviction question yes, and not no. He said yes, that a no contest plea is indeed considered a conviction. At this point I was pretty sure that that was the end and I would be denied.

He asked me about the resolution of the case. I told him that I paid a fine and served some community service, and at the end of my community service someone signed off that it was completed. I sent the form in and that was it.

He took my finger prints and mentioned that he should be able to see the resolution of the case.

After a few more of the usual questions about travel etc. He said I would receive and email within five days and if not to email them back. I was unsure if this meant I was approved or if this meant that there was going to be a deeper investigation, so I asked. He said that I was approved, and that it would take a few days for them to process it because of the arrest.

I actually received my conformation of approval today.

So a DUI is not an automatic dis-qualifier.

In the end, as so many before have said, just be upfront and honest.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
Correct, but the OP has been vague in his reports to this forum, so all is on the table until he might choose to clear it up.
It was an infraction, no possibility of jail time. Just fine and had to go to about 6-12 hours worth of education classes. (Forgot how long exactly)

Also lost my license for a year.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:59 am

Thanks DUIFlyer for your datapoint. I was wondering if we would be wasting our time applying for my husband who also has a dui from 1999.

I am concerned that he is going to be rejected but since our platinum card is paying for it we might as well apply.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:19 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Both my son and husband just got GE, but I am not sure if I'll qualify. I was stopped at the border once for too much alcohol (driving from Mexico, still had the beers, circa 1990), and, more recently, I had an apple in my purse that I was stopped for at LAX.

How much easier is TSA pre check?
I have no violations of their rule list: http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/elig...y-requirements
Old Jun 25, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
How much easier is TSA pre check?
I have no violations of their rule list: http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/elig...y-requirements
The consensus is that Pre-Check is orders of magnitude easier to acquire than GE. My husband and I were both denied GE with no explanation -- the whole story is upthread, but the long and short of it is we seem to be true outliers, as neither has had even the slightest legal or customs trouble -- but we sailed through Pre-Check.

Which makes sense if you think about the goals of each program.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:39 am

i have a question. i went to my GE interview and they found a DUI arrest from 1991. i actually went to court and was found not guilty by a jury .
they found record of the arrest online however no disposition. i went to the scottsdale courts AND the police department and neither has records that go back that far. (the police show the arrest but thats all)
the HS officer contacted me after the interview and requested a copy of the disposition and said all would be good. and i cant get one as it does not exist. tried my lawyer and he passsed away and the office is closed.
any advise??
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:41 am

need help with documents for GE!!

i have a question. i went to my GE interview and they found a DUI arrest from 1991. i actually went to court and was found not guilty by a jury .
they found record of the arrest online however no disposition. i went to the scottsdale courts AND the police department and neither has records that go back that far. (the police show the arrest but thats all)
the HS officer contacted me after the interview and requested a copy of the disposition and said all would be good. and i cant get one as it does not exist. tried my lawyer and he passsed away and the office is closed.
any advice??
Old Jun 27, 2015, 9:46 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by fbjr1
any advise??
Boy, I have no idea. These really old, supposedly sealed or expunged records are giving a lot of us pause. Up-thread you will see that decades old DUI's will count against your GE approval. Also anything you claim doesn't exist, such as expunged records, they will find and deny you. For this, how about a call to private investigator? They might have clues or resources that the rest of us wouldn't think of.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 12:15 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by fbjr1
any advise??
Ask to talk to a supervisor. Those records should be kept for a long time. Since the docket is 25 years old, it may be in archives or on microfiche and may take a bit longer to obtain. The clerk of the court should be able to provide you with a certified copy of the docket for a minimal fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.