Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Trusted Travelers
Reload this Page >

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone Ever Get Turned Down for Global Entry?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2015, 12:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by TWA884
Ask to talk to a supervisor. Those records should be kept for a long time. Since the docket is 25 years old, it may be in archives or on microfiche and may take a bit longer to obtain. The clerk of the court should be able to provide you with a certified copy of the docket for a minimal fee.
OK, I stand corrected.
Court Records Requests Form

Pursuant to Rule 29, Rules of the Supreme Court, and the Supreme Court Records Retention and Dispostion Schedule, criminal records more than five years old, and civil records more than one year old may not be available. Any court record or document that has been sealed or protected will not be available.
Perhaps the clerk's office can provide you with a letter stating that the case file and/or the minutes have been destroyed.

If not, contact a local criminal defense lawyer for advice. There has got to be a way to verify that you were acquitted by a jury.
Old Jun 27, 2015, 12:52 pm

thanks, i hoping so. im going back to the court on tueday. from what i understand they can write me a letter of disposition that states that the case is not open but i do not know if global entry will accept that with out a verdict.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
, more recently, I had an apple in my purse that I was stopped for at LAX.
I was surprised when a colleague at work told me that she had a dog alert on her forgotten banana a few years ago, yet still got GE recently.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
That's not surprising at all. The dog handler just sends you to secondary screening. If the screener there doesn't fine you or at least input some kind of incident report, you're home free.

And this is true whether the fruit in question is a banana or, say, an apple . . . .
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by TWA884
OK, I stand corrected.
Perhaps the clerk's office can provide you with a letter stating that the case file and/or the minutes have been destroyed.

If not, contact a local criminal defense lawyer for advice. There has got to be a way to verify that you were acquitted by a jury.
Other alternatives:

1. Call the local library and ask to speak with the research librarian. Explain the issue. Perhaps the librarian knows of secondary sources which have been used to research old cases.

2. Check with the prosecutor's office. Even file notes pointing to a Not Guilty might help.

3. State motor vehicle records might help. Coupling the arrest with the absence of a conviction after 25 years, might be good enough.

4. Auto insurance from back in the day might have some records, especially whoever rated you after the acquittal.

5. Call the Arizona bar licensing authority. Do they have a line on where your former lawyer's records are? Maybe a relative or another lawyer?

6. Find the former lawyer's obituary and call relatives. Do any of them have his files?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 1:37 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
Other alternatives:

1. Call the local library and ask to speak with the research librarian. Explain the issue. Perhaps the librarian knows of secondary sources which have been used to research old cases.

2. Check with the prosecutor's office. Even file notes pointing to a Not Guilty might help.

3. State motor vehicle records might help. Coupling the arrest with the absence of a conviction after 25 years, might be good enough.

4. Auto insurance from back in the day might have some records, especially whoever rated you after the acquittal.

5. Call the Arizona bar licensing authority. Do they have a line on where your former lawyer's records are? Maybe a relative or another lawyer?

6. Find the former lawyer's obituary and call relatives. Do any of them have his files?
This is a lot of running around for something that will not yield results IMO. The best answer was the first one. The clerk's office for the court where the acquittal occurred is what you need. Some lawyer's files is not going to be official, but a clerk's office can print up a disposition certificate or provide something in writing indicating an acquittal and that would be an official record. Prosecutor's office isn't going to turn over anything (and one of the reasons why is it is dismissed and sealed). Librarian isn't going to be able to do anything since its not a public record if dismissed, relatives of lawyer wouldn't have files, and finally none of that would be official anyway. If something is dismissed and sealed only the court will be able to provide copies of that. If those records were destroyed for some reason then the clerk's office should provide a letter stating such and indicating they have no record of a conviction in their system.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:31 am

Any experience with administrative removal from a country?

Almost 8 years ago at age 22, I was denied entry and removed from the UK due to overstaying a visa in Italy by about 3 months. I was not allowed to enter the UK since they deemed me an immigration risk because at the time I didn't have a job or ties back to the US (ownership of property, family obligations, etc.).

This technically was not a deportation since that would mean permanent expulsion from the country. I have since been allowed to enter the UK on 3 separate occasions, neither of which required a pre-arranged visa. I do usually get stopped at the border for a few minutes and receive extra questioning, but have always been allowed to enter.

I currently legally reside in Spain and submitted for Global Entry on 7/24. Application still pending. I did not mention the UK issue on my application, which in reading through this forum now seems like it might be a mistake. I had hoped my current residence approval in Spain combined with multiple approvals to visit the UK would have counteracted this long-past offense. I've also traveled frequently and widely (40+ countries) in the years since and have had no immigration issues whatsoever.

Am I completely screwed? Any information on similar experiences would be appreciated!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:49 pm

I thought I would add my data point in for those who think there is no hope.

Past legal issues:
Theft charge in 2005 from employer, pre-trial diversion program, fine and community service, charges dropped at end (misdemeanor citation)
Disturbing the peace in 2007 for a party in college, pled guilty, $200 fine (misdemeanor citation)
DUI in 2010, suspended imposition of sentence, diversion program basically, fine, 2 year probation, charges dropped at end (arrest, booking, etc.)

I applied because my wife wanted it and she has a nice clean record, but I fully expected to get declined. I put everything on the application, including the arrest that were subject to previous diversion and just put that the charges were dropped after diversion program. Interviewed in Dallas, officer didn't ask any question about arrest and such. Said we would both get approved in 24 to 48 hours. Wife got approved in 5 minutes, I didn't get mine.

We aren't from Dallas so we went home, but the next week were laying over in Dallas so I stopped in to see why I didn't get any notice, approval or denial. The officer said he meant to contact me. His higher ups needed a document showing the pre-trial diversion information on the DUI charge but he would get it approved as soon as he got that. E-mailed the document to him (which I had at the first interview, but he never asked for it), got approval 5 minutes after he uploaded into his system basically.

As a side note, he was showing me the information on his computer screen and I could see that my application was recommended as "pass" which I assume meant I would be approved based on whatever system they use.

So, even if you have a few things, don't lose hope, just disclose everything!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Originally Posted by Red259
This is a lot of running around for something that will not yield results IMO. The best answer was the first one. The clerk's office for the court where the acquittal occurred is what you need. Some lawyer's files is not going to be official, but a clerk's office can print up a disposition certificate or provide something in writing indicating an acquittal and that would be an official record. Prosecutor's office isn't going to turn over anything (and one of the reasons why is it is dismissed and sealed). Librarian isn't going to be able to do anything since its not a public record if dismissed, relatives of lawyer wouldn't have files, and finally none of that would be official anyway. If something is dismissed and sealed only the court will be able to provide copies of that. If those records were destroyed for some reason then the clerk's office should provide a letter stating such and indicating they have no record of a conviction in their system.
THIS!
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by na007
I thought I would add my data point in for those who think there is no hope...

So, even if you have a few things, don't lose hope, just disclose everything!
Excellent, excellent advice!
Old Aug 16, 2015, 5:22 pm

I recently got the Amex Platinum so I appied for Global Entry. I answered honestly about criminal convictions. I have a driving while intoxicated, a drving under the influence, and a possession of a controlled substance in the 7th degree from the early 1980s. I have not been in any legal trouble since ^

In 1994 I was approved for a NYS concealed carry pistol permit which required a certificate of relief of civil disabilities which was issued by the NYS Court system. In 2014 I was issued a Federal Firearms License (FFL03) after an investigation by the BTAF.

I realize it's probably a long shot but it was free so why not try. I'll post the results when I hear back.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 6:17 am

I am an attorney. I had a client with five felonies which were later pardoned on rehabilitation get a Nexus card.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 9:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I am an attorney. I had a client with five felonies which were later pardoned on rehabilitation get a Nexus card.
Where (as in country/countries) was the client found guilty of those felonies and where was the client pardoned?
Old Aug 19, 2015, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by DUIFlyer
Here is my case, and I was approved. I had my interview on 6/14/2015.

I was arrested for a DUI in 1999.

I filled out the application and checked no for the question about convictions. At the time I thought that a plead of "No Contest" was not a conviction, but rather a plea bargain. This is incorrect, by entering a plea of no contest I was convicted of the DUI.

When I found this out, I thought I was going to not be approved because it might look like I was trying to hide something. I found this out before my interview. I went to the interview thinking I had a good chance of being denied.

When I was asked the question about being arrested, I told the officer about the 1999 arrest, and I immediately told him about my plea of no contest. I told him how I think I should have answered the conviction question yes, and not no. He said yes, that a no contest plea is indeed considered a conviction. At this point I was pretty sure that that was the end and I would be denied.

He asked me about the resolution of the case. I told him that I paid a fine and served some community service, and at the end of my community service someone signed off that it was completed. I sent the form in and that was it.

He took my finger prints and mentioned that he should be able to see the resolution of the case.

After a few more of the usual questions about travel etc. He said I would receive and email within five days and if not to email them back. I was unsure if this meant I was approved or if this meant that there was going to be a deeper investigation, so I asked. He said that I was approved, and that it would take a few days for them to process it because of the arrest.

I actually received my conformation of approval today.

So a DUI is not an automatic dis-qualifier.

In the end, as so many before have said, just be upfront and honest.
I came looking for answers and came across this thread. I just received a notification from GEOS and it ended up being a revocation of my privileges. I was approved in 2011 and have been using it since. I got a DUI in 2014 and charged as a 1st offense. Satisfied all court requirements and paid all fees. I had been traveling a lot for the last 2 years so the 1st time I noticed something odd was when I had a giant X on my face. The customs agent told me I'll have to deal with that forever because I have an arrest record. I was able to use it (getting another giant X) in June. They must have finally caught up and got to my file.

I still had about a year left of my privileges but was dropped from the program due to the 2014 DUI conviction ... as explicitly stated in their letter. Reading through this forum, it doesn't seem too likely to get my privileges back even if I appealed or re-applied anytime soon.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 7:56 pm

Looks like I'll be looking into the direct TSA Pre Plus enrollment (at least so I can bypass the crazy lines even if I don't get the customs line benefits). In their list of disqualifying offenses, a DUI does not appear to be part of it. Let's see how it goes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.