Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Latest version (as of 24-Oct-2021) - available at http://depositfiles.com/files/2c753ofyy.
Print Wikipost

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:48 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & Meli & HH & Marriott Gold
Before we rush into things, remember that cockpitvisit was hoping to get an update ready for "possibly February". That target date has obviously slipped, but if there is a realistic chance of it being ready in the next few weeks then maybe that release should be the starting point for future efforts.

So, two friendly questions for cockpitvisit:
  • Do you think you're going to have the time to get the data updated in the near future?
  • Would you agree that it makes sense to either transfer or share the workload and responsibility for future updates, either temporarily or permanently?

Posts in this thread show that there's an enormous amount of goodwill among users, together with a wish to support the Airline Route Mapper with time and/or money. It would be nice if that could happen.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:14 am

Yes, I can see a wiki (or maybe better a google docs spreadsheet) as a good collaborative tool for correcting minor problems with the routes, airports or alliances.

But I don't think it is a realistic long-term solution for maintaining the data... over time there will just be too many changes. It just doesn't make sense to maintain it by hand.

We need to get the data from a GDS...
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: /usr/bin
I've been using this great app for years. It's an essential tool in the travel hacking toolbox. As a linux user, I've had to run the desktop app using an emulator, so as an experiment I wrote a web app that's backed by the same data.

Since it uses the same data source, it will be just as out of date. Also, it has less bells and whistles than the app that cockpitvisit wrote. However, it might be of benefit to people who can't easily run windows apps.

http://airports.croz.us/

It's got bugs, and it's ugly in places. There's a feedback link if you've got any thoughts.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:35 am
AHO

Originally Posted by gt_croz
I've been using this great app for years. It's an essential tool in the travel hacking toolbox. As a linux user, I've had to run the desktop app using an emulator, so as an experiment I wrote a web app that's backed by the same data.

Since it uses the same data source, it will be just as out of date. Also, it has less bells and whistles than the app that cockpitvisit wrote. However, it might be of benefit to people who can't easily run windows apps.

It's got bugs, and it's ugly in places. There's a feedback link if you've got any thoughts.
Thanks for this!
However, I cannot see any routes when I choose one airport or just one alliance.
This is my primary use for the tools, so it would be great if your tool can do it too.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: /usr/bin
Originally Posted by AHO
Thanks for this!
However, I cannot see any routes when I choose one airport or just one alliance.
This is my primary use for the tools, so it would be great if your tool can do it too.
The routes should become visible when you click on the airport you're interested in.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:54 am
AHO

The routes should become visible when you click on the airport you're interested in.
It works on Chrome but not on Opera 12 (my main web browser).
Old Jun 13, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: Delta, ANA
Originally Posted by lewinr
Yes, I can see a wiki (or maybe better a google docs spreadsheet) as a good collaborative tool for correcting minor problems with the routes, airports or alliances.

But I don't think it is a realistic long-term solution for maintaining the data... over time there will just be too many changes. It just doesn't make sense to maintain it by hand.

We need to get the data from a GDS...
If you can get the data from a GDS, please share it. There are a number of other options, I'll just list a few.

1) The USDOT makes a large amount of data available on aviation, including the routes flown into and out of the US. See this site.

Other governments do not do the same, although I will try to get some as a researcher.

2) The IATA website has a feature called "matchmaker", which is open to the public, but intended to pressure the airlines into using the new electronic air way bill (e-AWB) for cargo operations. See link. On the custom report page, under airline, you can query for airport to airport routes. Unfortunately, this does not have equipment details ...

I stand ready to assist on integrating and enriching this data.

Regards,
Geof
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Bridgeflyer
An update in November would be fantastic. All of your efforts on this are greatly appreciated.

Tys90 has not posted in awhile. I was wondering what is happening with the user updated version of the data files. The last version on Google forms is from May 9, 2014. A while back Tys90 mentioned that your June 2014 version still had some errors and inconsistencies. Are these documented or tracked somehow so that they may be addressed in your next update?
I subscribe to this thread but somehow I missed this post, sorry about that. I had actually made all the manual updates as I mentioned in my post but then cockpitvisit came back to life shortly after saying there was an update coming and I stopped updating my own personal version.

However, it looks like that never happened. I still use this program occasionally and find it very useful. I also wish to have more easily updated routing too.

The google form I made and linked in my post actually worked out fairly well for submitting route/airline/equipment changes. If we want to start that back up, I may switch the zip file to a dropbox folder and give some people permissions to it so it's not just relying on me to update it. Like I said, updating the data in the file is extremely easy, it's just a table.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I love openflights.org and they claim to use airlineroutemapper for their database. But this database is missing many airlines and routes. For example, http://dniproavia.com/en/ is not listed. Where/how/who would we chat with to get the database updated?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:59 am

The mysterious cockpitvisit, right here on this very forum. But it's a time-consuming hobby project and they work on it when they have time for it.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:25 am

Programs: A3 *G, O3 *G, AZ Gold, MP (ex-OP), AD, AA

Great initiative Croz! ^
I'm a Mac and Linux user myself, and found your website based on the tool very helpful.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:35 am

There is also another web-based tool, usig the ARM database. It is called Flajts, and is found here:http://www.flajts.com/. Flajts works on Chrome, Opera, IE and Firefox. It also lacks some bells and whistles, but adds at least one: Quickly find 2- and 3-way routes between two airports.

Flajts is a hobby project, developed by me. Currently no development is going on, but feedback is welcome, either in the Flyertalk thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ardflight.html, or via the contact form in the web application. Last update was July 5, 2014.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by LuckyLuke
There is also another web-based tool, usig the ARM database. It is called Flajts, and is found here:http://www.flajts.com/. Flajts works on Chrome, Opera, IE and Firefox. It also lacks some bells and whistles, but adds at least one: Quickly find 2- and 3-way routes between two airports.

Flajts is a hobby project, developed by me. Currently no development is going on, but feedback is welcome, either in the Flyertalk thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ardflight.html, or via the contact form in the web application. Last update was July 5, 2014.
It's nice but it is missing routes too. For example, Belavia flies from Minsk (MSQ) to Belgrade (BEG) 2x per week. Others miss this route too (e.g., www.kayak.com/direct). However some catch it - like OAG http://www.oag.com/Travel-Tools/Where-Can-Fly-Direct

Still can't find one mapping project that I can trust... and looking at Wikipedia is too hard.

What exactly is the ARM database?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
What exactly is the ARM database?
ARM= Airline Route Mapper
The ARM database is downloaded together with the application.
Routes missing in the Airline Route Mapper application will be missed in all other applications using this database (which is free).

There are probably commercial databases which are kept up-to-date on a daily basis, but at a (high?) cost.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinium
is there some database update released?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.