Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Latest version (as of 24-Oct-2021) - available at http://depositfiles.com/files/2c753ofyy.
Print Wikipost

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: DL KM
Hi,

Where is the data for the table coming from? Is it possible to update the table from this data automatically?

Originally Posted by tys90
........ Like I said, updating the data in the file is extremely easy, it's just a table.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by LuckyLuke
There is also another web-based tool, usig the ARM database. It is called Flajts, and is found here:http://www.flajts.com/. Flajts works on Chrome, Opera, IE and Firefox. It also lacks some bells and whistles, but adds at least one: Quickly find 2- and 3-way routes between two airports.

Flajts is a hobby project, developed by me. Currently no development is going on, but feedback is welcome, either in the Flyertalk thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ardflight.html, or via the contact form in the web application. Last update was July 5, 2014.
That's a great idea, LuckyLuke. I wish you all the best with future development.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:27 pm

Whatever happened to this tool? It was by far the best.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:46 pm

Are these any help?

http://fatterflights.appspot.com/group/Oneworld
http://fatterflights.appspot.com/group/SkyTeam
Old Oct 1, 2015, 12:17 am

Thanks for links. The filters and search functions of ARM were off the chart. That's what I need & like the most.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:42 pm

So nobody knows why this tool is not updated?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:44 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & Meli & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dreamflight767
So nobody knows why this tool is not updated?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Dreamflight767!

Everything we know is in this thread: cockpitvisit no longer has time to maintain the database and no one else has taken it on.

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
I am very sorry for the lack of updates, but please understand that this is a hobby project. Getting the data done does take quite a bit of work, and sadly I didn't have enough time for that in the past months.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 6:46 pm

Editing routes, alliances and airlines is extremely simple. Someone could probably upload it to GitHub as is and allow people to submit changes.
I am willing to put the .dat files up into GitHub and facilitate crowd-sourced updates, assuming cockpitvisit gives his consent (hopefully via putting the existing stuff explicitly into the public domain or under some other permissive license). My plan would be to incorporate the historical routes into the GitHub history.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 3:48 am

The data files are probably not under copyright because they are simply a compilation of facts, like a phone book.

The program itself is, though.

That said, the larger question to me is this: if you uploaded them to github, you would likely have only the major routes updated. Updating these files is a daunting task without any sort of automation. Even if you had a everyone who reads this thread doing it, how long would it take to cover even the largest airlines? For instance, the American Airlines timetable is a 36 MB, 1131 page PDF. The routes.dat file itself is 72408 lines in the latest version.

So the question for me is how cockpitvisit compiled the data in the first place. If he was doing it by hand, then I certainly understand why he has not had time to continue updating it! Even if the task were partially automated, it could still be pretty laborious.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:52 am

Thank you so much for providing such kind of useful tool that I ever use.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:12 pm

Probably is not that hard to update the database files as you can use the data from here: http://openflights.org/data.html
Old Nov 3, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by Pcsl
Probably is not that hard to update the database files as you can use the data from here: http://openflights.org/data.html
But that just takes you around in a circle
From the bottom of the openflights web page
Route data is maintained by and imported directly from Airline Route Mapper.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by asimperson
The data files are probably not under copyright because they are simply a compilation of facts, like a phone book.

The program itself is, though.

That said, the larger question to me is this: if you uploaded them to github, you would likely have only the major routes updated. Updating these files is a daunting task without any sort of automation. Even if you had a everyone who reads this thread doing it, how long would it take to cover even the largest airlines? For instance, the American Airlines timetable is a 36 MB, 1131 page PDF. The routes.dat file itself is 72408 lines in the latest version.

So the question for me is how cockpitvisit compiled the data in the first place. If he was doing it by hand, then I certainly understand why he has not had time to continue updating it! Even if the task were partially automated, it could still be pretty laborious.
Luckily we don't need to really keep track of timetables and routes don't change that often. Route changes are often condensed down and announced publicly, making it easy to find the information. Seasonal routes are the only real tricky ones with software like this as there is no way to see if a route is seasonal or not without looking it up online.

A few people could realistically keep this up to date with a small amount of effort (at least for most major airlines), especially once you figured out the best place to find route change information.

Last edited by tys90; Nov 4, 2015 at 12:20 pm Reason: Grammar and spelling
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:38 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & Meli & HH & Marriott Gold
the best place to find route change information
... is probably airlineroute.net

They send me a daily email, free of charge, with the latest route changes and announcements. There are also RSS feed and 'social media' options.

They list their data sources here: http://airlineroute.net/source/
Old Nov 9, 2015, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I didn't realize it wasn't being updated anymore. Such an amazing tool!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.