Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TWA884
Latest version (as of 24-Oct-2021) - available at http://depositfiles.com/files/2c753ofyy.
Print Wikipost

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Old Jan 28, 2015, 10:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAD747
You launched Airline Route Mapper back in 2008, and it would be really neat to see your earliest maps, since airlines and their route maps have changed so much over the last 6 years. Is there any chance you could put a 2008 map, 2009 map, 2010 map, etc. back up on the webpage?
Here is the archive with historical data: http://arm.64hosts.com/arm_historical_routes.zip

To view historical routes, download this file and open it with Explorer. Go into the folder corresponding to the desired date, and copy its files (routes.dat etc.) into the Airline Route Mapper program folder (overwriting the files that are there).

Don't forget to restore the current (that is, last year's ) data files after that.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:46 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & Meli & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Here is the archive with historical data: http://arm.64hosts.com/arm_historical_routes.zip
Thank you for that. ^
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:29 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Thanks for the historical data... I was keeping a few old ARM downloads around for that reason.

Great tool; looking forward to the next update!
Old Feb 6, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG, HH
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
When I have time for it - possibly February.

I am very sorry for the lack of updates, but please understand that this is a hobby project. Getting the data done does take quite a bit of work, and sadly I didn't have enough time for that in the past months.
Hey cockpitvisit, would it be possible for some of us FT'ers to help you do some of the dirty work to get this awesome tool updated?

I have no idea if this is technically feasible (in terms of what sort of tech skills, coding abilities, etc. are needed) but I know that I would be happy to help if there are some low level tasks that you need help with.

If so, maybe we could turn this into a crowd sourced effort, I'm imagining if 5-10 of us each put in a couple hours of work and then you packaged up the final product. Is this possible...or too hard to split up the work into individual tasks?
Old Feb 6, 2015, 11:56 pm

Thanks very much for posting the historical routes! When I copy and paste the "Airline Route Mapper" program into each folder and click on it, the program opens with the historical routes from that folder. That way I don't need to copy and paste the routes, equipment, etc. themselves.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: US Silver, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by HoKo
Hey cockpitvisit, would it be possible for some of us FT'ers to help you do some of the dirty work to get this awesome tool updated?

I have no idea if this is technically feasible (in terms of what sort of tech skills, coding abilities, etc. are needed) but I know that I would be happy to help if there are some low level tasks that you need help with.

If so, maybe we could turn this into a crowd sourced effort, I'm imagining if 5-10 of us each put in a couple hours of work and then you packaged up the final product. Is this possible...or too hard to split up the work into individual tasks?
Hey HoKo and cockpitvisit--I just looked at the file, and it seems like its fairly easy to edit. You can just edit the .dat files manually (no coding necessary!), and the application will update itself (as long as you hit save).

cockpitvisit, if you'd be ok with it, I'd like to create a wiki post where anyone can edit the data stored in the .dat files, and can copy-paste it into their own application. It would help free up your time, and let you concentrate on improving the actual application (or making new tools, or just other things in general).
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by usAir
Hey HoKo and cockpitvisit--I just looked at the file, and it seems like its fairly easy to edit. You can just edit the .dat files manually (no coding necessary!), and the application will update itself (as long as you hit save).

cockpitvisit, if you'd be ok with it, I'd like to create a wiki post where anyone can edit the data stored in the .dat files, and can copy-paste it into their own application. It would help free up your time, and let you concentrate on improving the actual application (or making new tools, or just other things in general).
Cool, that's good to know. Where would we get all of the route info though
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:47 pm

I like the idea!

Cool, that's good to know. Where would we get all of the route info though
Well, everyone could share knowledge he has or has researched. That's how a wiki works
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by trijet
I like the idea!

Well, everyone could share knowledge he has or has researched. That's how a wiki works
But that doesn't answer the question regarding where we can efficiently gather the route data - I would assume the creator has some automated routine for gathering this info...it is not going to work if we have a bunch of people randomly adding routes one at a time to a wiki
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:08 pm

I'm going to try it out. My apologies if it doesn't work as planned.

Edit: I think it worked! Everyone feel free to add any routes or changes you know about. Can anyone else see it?

But that doesn't answer the question regarding where we can efficiently gather the route data - I would assume the creator has some automated routine for gathering this info...it is not going to work if we have a bunch of people randomly adding routes one at a time to a wiki
HoKo, I agree--it would be more efficient to gather the route data using some sort of automated routine, so if someone knows how to do this easily, please post instructions. In the meantime, the wiki will be super helpful to anyone looking for more up-to-date route info.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by usAir
I'm going to try it out. My apologies if it doesn't work as planned.

Edit: I think it worked! Everyone feel free to add any routes or changes you know about. Can anyone else see it?

HoKo, I agree--it would be more efficient to gather the route data using some sort of automated routine, so if someone knows how to do this easily, please post instructions. In the meantime, the wiki will be super helpful to anyone looking for more up-to-date route info.
Where did you get that data?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Where did you get that data?
The data is outdated--its from the last version of the airline route mapper. You can get it by looking in the .dat files in the same folder that the app is in. I'm hoping that people help edit the routes, and we can keep an up-to-date copy of the data on this wiki.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:23 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; IHG Diamond-Amb; Accor & Meli & HH & Marriott Gold
usAir created a thread wiki to hold the entire contents of the Airline Route Mapper data file. I've just edited it to remove that data, so should explain why. I appreciate usAir's initiative, but don't think the wiki in that form was a step forward.

1.) The data file is IMO much too large to post in this location. Some (if not all) browsers load the entire wiki each time the thread is accessed. That had the effect of killing my browser for two to three minutes, then slowing my computer dramatically (and my setup, while not especially good, isn't the world's worst: DSL connection, latest Firefox version, 8GB RAM).

2.) The data initially posted were old ("from the last version of the airline route mapper", according to usAir's post on March 9 2015) and easily accessible (download Link: http://arm.64hosts.com/AirlineRouteMapper.zip), so nothing is lost by removing them from the wiki.

Obviously people can disagree, but please don't just revert back to the earlier (full) wiki without waiting a while for others to express their preferences.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:30 pm

Agree with IMH on not keeping data like that in the wiki. Beyond the performance issue noted, I think the data set is too big for to be maintained in such a way, even if we were to limit it to some set of major carriers.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:04 pm

To follow up my previous post, now that I'm back at my computer: one idea that comes to mind is figuring out a GDS (or OAG?) to purchase the data from on a periodic basis. Crowdfunding that sort of thing is probably impractical, so it'd be up to the collective user body to step up and pay every so often. I haven't researched this option at all, so it's quite possible this would not be feasible.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.