Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Tools
Reload this Page >

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Airline Route Mapper tool (windows based)

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 23, 18, 4:52 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: IMH
Wiki Link
Latest version (as of 9-Sep-2018) - available at http://depositfiles.com/files/5lu8tsgz4. See post #735 for details. ~LBBZman
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 3, 18, 1:55 am

http://depositfiles.com/files/3g9yq6ei3

Here is the download link

Some Airlines routes not updated yet, including Ryanair and most of US airliners

Seasonal routes are not included due to heavy workload
Old Jul 7, 18, 9:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire, HH Gold

Error
Here is the error I got with the new version.
Old Jul 12, 18, 2:31 am

CLick ignore and it will be fine
Old Jul 15, 18, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire, HH Gold
Yes it is. Tried it after I posted the error.

Thanks again for your work on this!
Old Jul 17, 18, 10:45 am

Expect new version will be released in early Sep

Still working on US major carriers and Ryanair
Old Jul 27, 18, 9:35 pm

Thank you for your work, dragoon17c.

The reason for above-mentioned error is an encoding error in your file. I've prepared a fixed version. Are you familiar on how to work with git/github.com?
Old Jul 28, 18, 10:54 am

Can you tell us how you compiled the new routes.dat? I just had a quick glance and was left to be wondering where for example HAM CDG service of 4U went. Actually, there is no HAM CDG service from any airline in your routes.dat even though it's a reasonably busy route. You do have CDG HAM for AF.
Old Aug 9, 18, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by L4ibsch View Post
Can you tell us how you compiled the new routes.dat? I just had a quick glance and was left to be wondering where for example HAM CDG service of 4U went. Actually, there is no HAM CDG service from any airline in your routes.dat even though it's a reasonably busy route. You do have CDG HAM for AF.
My date based on wiki, flight radar and airlines website.

Due to constant changing, seasonal routes not included!

The error I believe is airport location error, it will be fixed on next completed verison
Old Aug 12, 18, 4:05 am

Thanks, dragoon17c.

Let me ask again, are you familiar on how to work with git/github.com? When I asked how you compile your data the most important question for me is whether you do this "by hand" or scripted/automatic.
Old Aug 14, 18, 9:49 am

Thanks, dragoon17c.

Let me ask again, are you familiar on how to work with git/github.com? When I asked how you compile your data the most important question for me is whether you do this "by hand" or scripted/automatic.

NO, I don't
Old Aug 19, 18, 9:47 am

OK.

Do you compile your data by hand or in an automated/scripted fashion?
Old Aug 23, 18, 2:39 am

OK.

Do you compile your data by hand or in an automated/scripted fashion?
by hand
Old Sep 7, 18, 7:58 am

http://depositfiles.com/files/j44ter6ds

new version released!

All airliners updated!
Old Sep 7, 18, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot dragoon17c for producing fresh data files! I know from my own experience how much work went into this

Here are a few notes on data files, since I was the original author of the tool.

The reason for the "assertion failed" error is a missing tab in the file airports.dat in the line for the LLO airport (between the longitude and the airport name). Columns should be separated by tabs, not by spaces. If you are not a programmer, you can easily see this by loading the file into Excel.

The "# Date:" comment in routes.dat is displayed by the tool as the "Data set date", so it should be updated to reflect the date when you collected/updated the data.

There is a hidden feature in the tool to help locate misplaced airports. In the filter dropdown box, select "Custom". Now, Instead of airline codes, enter the following and click OK:

*>2000

Then, select "all airlines" in the filter again. The tool will now select airports which do not have routes shorter than 2000 miles. This often happens with misplaced airports appearing in the wrong part of the world. For example, the SHO airport has a single route (to JNB) which is 7851 miles long. This can't be right. Of course, there are also correctly airports which only have long routes, e. g. IPC. So you have to review each case per hand. You can use a different number instead of "2000". E.g. "*>1000" followed by "All airlines" will select all airports with the shortest route exceeding 1000 miles.

Another useful trick for finding data errors is to open the "Options" dialog box, specify "Only show routes between 6000-9999 miles long", then uncheck all long-range aircraft and click OK. This will display suspiciously long routes flown by short-range aircraft. For example, the newest data file shows HGH-HOG (8749 miles) flown by an A320. This can't be right, even though both HGH and HOG are shown at correct location.

Keep up the good work
Old Sep 9, 18, 7:11 am

Finally you are here.

I immediately fix the error and here is the fixed version:

http://depositfiles.com/files/5lu8tsgz4

Also, Could you please put my version in your homepage, so anyone who visit your website can see the latest version

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: