ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
The ExpertFlyer support by email is at [email protected]

This is a community-maintained wiki, it is not necessarily endorsed by ExpertFlyer.

--------------------

Searches currently not working:
  • Upgrades - AY, BA, EK, EY, IB, QR, VS
  • Awards - AY, BA, IB, EY, QR, VS

To search AA upgrades:
  • Use the Award & Upgrade tool
  • Only search for individual segments (set the "Connection Preference" drop-down to "Direct/Non-Stop only"). Flight results that are part of a connection won't show the upgrade version of C or A inventory because AA only files upgrade inventory as individual, not married, segments. (Married segments show revenue inventory instead of upgrade inventory.)
  • To avoid confusion, check the "Exclude Codeshares" box, as AA awards and upgrades are not valid on codeshares.

Print Wikipost

ExpertFlyer.com Help Desk Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2022, 3:59 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by Klems
I have a question regarding Qatar Airways and American Airlines. I assume it's probably been asked before, and tried to search this thread but I don't think I've found what I need.

I understand QR can't be search; however, does that also apply if I'm trying to search for code shares with AA? Here's my example: looking at JFK to DOH award availability tomorrow (9/20), there is business class availability on both AA flight and QR flight:

On ExpertFlyer, I can successfully see U2 for the AA120 flight, and I would have expected to see U1 for AA8116 - the Qatar flight with 1 seat available. Isn't it how it's supposed to work? Or can it not find QR award inventory at all even if it's through AA? Hope my question makes sense!
Award inventory isn’t valid for codeshares, only by searching the operating airline can you see the award inventory for that airline.

With regards to QR awards specifically we thought we had a solution however it showed expanded award inventory that wasn’t available to partners. As such we’re working on a different solution and will post when it’s ready.
Klems likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
Since many airlines now have dynamic award pricing, and those prices are only available on their websites, that is something we can't offer. This is why we stick to showing the saver award inventories, which is also the inventory required with partner award redemptions.
Greetings. Having some issues using the United search tool (ie no *A availability) for business class and decided to try Expertflyer to see if I could find anything better but my results on expertflyer actually appear even worse than they are on United. I think from the quote above the answer is that due to dynamic pricing of rewards expertflyer only shows available space in I and not JN or ZN (which can't be searcher for as it only allows a single letter class code). Is that correct?
Old Sep 25, 2022, 8:00 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by Digital Jester
Greetings. Having some issues using the United search tool (ie no *A availability) for business class and decided to try Expertflyer to see if I could find anything better but my results on expertflyer actually appear even worse than they are on United. I think from the quote above the answer is that due to dynamic pricing of rewards expertflyer only shows available space in I and not JN or ZN (which can't be searcher for as it only allows a single letter class code). Is that correct?
Yes, also if you are looking for award inventory on an airline other than UA you have to choose that airline from the list. Selecting UA will only show UA operated flights.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 4:18 pm

I'm looking at AA award travel WAS-LHR. That's not a route AA serves nonstop, but I do want to travel on AA metal. (Crazy surcharges on BA, and higher redemption levels when redeeming AA Business Extra points.) Lots of ways to get there via one connection -- JFK, PHL, BOS, CLT, RDU, ORD, etc. The EF beta's "Create Route Alert" feature could be perfect for this -- monitor all those routings in one fell swoop. Will EF check all of those? Or just the top few? How to know which it will check? The EF Beta shows six results on its award search result page, whereas old EF typically shows up to 8 results. For me, for this purpose, the deeper search is that much more useful.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 8:01 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by bedelman
I'm looking at AA award travel WAS-LHR. That's not a route AA serves nonstop, but I do want to travel on AA metal. (Crazy surcharges on BA, and higher redemption levels when redeeming AA Business Extra points.) Lots of ways to get there via one connection -- JFK, PHL, BOS, CLT, RDU, ORD, etc. The EF beta's "Create Route Alert" feature could be perfect for this -- monitor all those routings in one fell swoop. Will EF check all of those? Or just the top few? How to know which it will check? The EF Beta shows six results on its award search result page, whereas old EF typically shows up to 8 results. For me, for this purpose, the deeper search is that much more useful.
The route alert does the same search and will see the same results that you see, however the reservation system will normally return connection options with inventory in the requested class before flights that don't have it. Both the current and beta site use the same back end data engine, so you'll see the same amount of results. If you have further questions please email us with specific examples.
bedelman likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:39 pm

Hi, if I am on a Flight Availbility page looking at availability for a specific flight, can I jump across to the Seat Map page for the same flight without having to go to Seat Map Search and manually re-enter the flight details? (Or vice versa.) Thanks.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 11:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by stmaus
Hi, if I am on a Flight Availbility page looking at availability for a specific flight, can I jump across to the Seat Map page for the same flight without having to go to Seat Map Search and manually re-enter the flight details? (Or vice versa.) Thanks.
Look to the right of each result in the Flight Availability Search:

the 3 buttons are (1) create a flight alert (2) show flight details (3) seat map for that result.

If you are using the mobile version, tap on the + to expand each result and use the links that appear.
stmaus likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Look to the right of each result in the Flight Availability Search:

the 3 buttons are (1) create a flight alert (2) show flight details (3) seat map for that result.

If you are using the mobile version, tap on the + to expand each result and use the links that appear.
Thanks!
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
If I am looking for delta GUC upgrade availability for AF FLIGHT, which one shows the availability? Is it Business classic awards or Business flex awards for elites?

Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AVIS Preferred Plus
Why don’t I see the option “ Business upgrade with DL SWU/ global upgrades” when I choose Air France as the airline? I can this option when I choose KLM.

Old Sep 28, 2022, 11:04 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by Love_Travel
If I am looking for delta GUC upgrade availability for AF FLIGHT, which one shows the availability? Is it Business classic awards or Business flex awards for elites?
It won't be C as that's just for FlyingBlue elites

Originally Posted by Love_Travel
Why don’t I see the option “ Business upgrade with DL SWU/ global upgrades” when I choose Air France as the airline? I can this option when I choose KLM.
If you want to see AF Z inventory you can see it via the Flight Availability search or add Z as an Other Class to the award search when searching another defined award class.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
The route alert does the same search and will see the same results that you see, however the reservation system will normally return connection options with inventory in the requested class before flights that don't have it. Both the current and beta site use the same back end data engine, so you'll see the same amount of results. If you have further questions please email us with specific examples.
Before I spend the money for EF, I have a question that I think is related.

This winter I want to go to/from London on UA (or a partner) from WAS. Award flight costs are quite high when performing general searches. However, for example, last week I found a return via BOS for 1/2 the miles.

EF can be set to monitor a group of flights in a date range for, say IAD-LHR, EWR-LHR, BOS-LHR, etc.?

Thanks!
Old Oct 2, 2022, 8:07 am

Dear ExpertFlyer,

I have a confirmed booking for a routing AAA-BBB-CCC / DDD-BBB-AAA with LX. Between each flight there are several days or even weeks (i.e. stopovers not layovers). I would like to move forward the flight DDD-BBB one day and the flight BBB-AAA one week back. How can I check the availability for a certain booking class either for rebooking or a new booking? I guess I can't search for single segments, as they are married segments? And LX doesn't offer the same fare classes for rebooking or a new booking. Thanks.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:34 pm
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by lamphs
Before I spend the money for EF, I have a question that I think is related.

This winter I want to go to/from London on UA (or a partner) from WAS. Award flight costs are quite high when performing general searches. However, for example, last week I found a return via BOS for 1/2 the miles.

EF can be set to monitor a group of flights in a date range for, say IAD-LHR, EWR-LHR, BOS-LHR, etc.?

Thanks!
You can create Flight Alerts but each alert is for a specific flight segment/date, but you can have up to 200 alerts active at a time.
Originally Posted by aflo
Dear ExpertFlyer,

I have a confirmed booking for a routing AAA-BBB-CCC / DDD-BBB-AAA with LX. Between each flight there are several days or even weeks (i.e. stopovers not layovers). I would like to move forward the flight DDD-BBB one day and the flight BBB-AAA one week back. How can I check the availability for a certain booking class either for rebooking or a new booking? I guess I can't search for single segments, as they are married segments? And LX doesn't offer the same fare classes for rebooking or a new booking. Thanks.
By "check" to you mean monitor? You can create a Flight Alert for them. Are you sure that married segments apply considering they are stopovers vs connections? If the flights are priced individually, it's not married availability.
lamphs likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2022, 12:16 am

They are definitely priced together. DDD-BBB on its own is much more expensive than DDD-BBB-AAA. It's a (long) stopover allowed by the fare rules. Yes, I meant "monitor" the flight for booking class availability.

Edit: maybe it was just a case of a suboptimal agent. I called again today (suprisingly I ended up in Basel!) and it was no problem to rebook to a day earlier.

Last edited by aflo; Oct 3, 2022 at 4:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.