Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:26 am

Sold my DSLR after having a Panasonic FZ38 and now I got the FZ150 which I am pretty happy with.

Sure, the image quality and sharpness is not even close to the DSLR, but I have a huge focal range with a very low weight, perfect for traveling!
Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I bought a new Point and Shoot to replace my old Kodak today (it has some flaw with it where there's a gray smudge on all the pictures). It's a Canon Power Shot A810. Spent something like $80 on it and I'm hoping it'll be a good pocket camera for my trips.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: QF,US,ANA
Just bought a Sony HX-20v after years of having a budget digital camera and it is miles better than the rubbish I have been using before ... it is worth the $250 I paid for it ..
Old Feb 10, 2013, 2:57 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Recently upgraded to the Canon 7D (from the 50D, which will become my backup body and displace my old 30D), primarily because I wanted the ability to capture video for an upcoming trip and also a slightly better burst rate than the 50D. I'm still hoping we see a 7D mk II this year, as that would become my primary.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by exerda
Recently upgraded to the Canon 7D (from the 50D, which will become my backup body and displace my old 30D), primarily because I wanted the ability to capture video for an upcoming trip and also a slightly better burst rate than the 50D. I'm still hoping we see a 7D mk II this year, as that would become my primary.
While I love my 7D, I am contemplating my next move to full frame: I'd been looking at the 6D, but may go for a 5D/mkIII instead.... autofocus and speed being the key discriminators. While there may be a 7D/mkII coming, I think it more likely that Canon will put more eggs in full-frame basket of the 6D.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by CMK10
I bought a new Point and Shoot to replace my old Kodak today (it has some flaw with it where there's a gray smudge on all the pictures). It's a Canon Power Shot A810. Spent something like $80 on it and I'm hoping it'll be a good pocket camera for my trips.
If it's anything like the A710, I think you'll be happy with your choice.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
While I love my 7D, I am contemplating my next move to full frame: I'd been looking at the 6D, but may go for a 5D/mkIII instead.... autofocus and speed being the key discriminators. While there may be a 7D/mkII coming, I think it more likely that Canon will put more eggs in full-frame basket of the 6D.
I do want to get a full-frame for my landscape work (likely a 6D; the 5D III is a bit rich for me with the other gear I've bought the past 12 months), but for wildlife I really want to keep a crop factor body.

Canon insiders have suggested there is a 7D II coming, targeted for the sports & wildlife segment. The yet-unannounced 70D is supposedly going to move back into the prosumer realm with 50D-like build quality (vs. the plastic-y 60D), but most of the gossip I've ready suggests there will still be a 7D-like body coming, too, but with a higher burst rate, higher max ISO, better noise reduction, etc.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
I do want to get a full-frame for my landscape work (likely a 6D; the 5D III is a bit rich for me with the other gear I've bought the past 12 months), but for wildlife I really want to keep a crop factor body.

Canon insiders have suggested there is a 7D II coming, targeted for the sports & wildlife segment. The yet-unannounced 70D is supposedly going to move back into the prosumer realm with 50D-like build quality (vs. the plastic-y 60D), but most of the gossip I've ready suggests there will still be a 7D-like body coming, too, but with a higher burst rate, higher max ISO, better noise reduction, etc.
I currently have a 7D, and recently bought a 6D and this is really a great combo for my kind of shooting. The 6D is great bang for the buck and excels in landscapes and portrait shooting for sure. The 5D MkIII was definitely too rich for me as well, but the 7D fills the void for sport and action photography hands down. Highly reccommend the 6D.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
I keep reading about the serious shooters here who upgrade their cameras fairly frequently. I suspect it would violate FT rules, but it would be nice if we could set up some sort of marketplace for buying and selling used camera equipment. Most of us are interested in the same kinds of cameras and I'd much prefer to buy a camera from someone here than from a stranger on ebay. Has something like that ever been considered?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by workandski
I keep reading about the serious shooters here who upgrade their cameras fairly frequently. I suspect it would violate FT rules, but it would be nice if we could set up some sort of marketplace for buying and selling used camera equipment. Most of us are interested in the same kinds of cameras and I'd much prefer to buy a camera from someone here than from a stranger on ebay. Has something like that ever been considered?
That could be a good idea, since I'm thinking of off-loading the 7D...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:41 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chollie
If it's anything like the A710, I think you'll be happy with your choice.
I've been using it for about four months now and I am indeed very happy with my choice ^
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:58 pm

I have a Nikon D3100 with an assortment of lenses and external flash. I love my camera but have been having second thoughts about taking even a reduced subset of my equipment on an upcoming RTW trip with my son this summer.

So today I decided to get a Nikon Coolpix P510 as an alternative to the DSLR for these trips where I just don't want to take the big bag-o-stuff. From everything I read it seems to offer a decent compromise on size with good quality photo results.

We'll see how it works out.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Usually my T3i w/ 15-85 and 70-300... occasionally a fast prime as well.

If it's someplace dodgy, my S95.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by TexasTea
That could be a good idea, since I'm thinking of off-loading the 7D...
My only complaint with the 7D so far is that out of the box, the AF is a bit dodgy. I'm getting a lot of shots which should have been tack-sharp but which are randomly either front- or back-focused. This seems to be a fairly commonplace problem with the 7D.

It is also amazing the amount of flames one finds when googling anything about 7D AF problems; apparently there are a lot of fan-boys out there who insist it cannot possibly be a problem with the camera and has to be technique or lack of knowledge by the shooter. Sorry, gents; I've taken well over 250k photos with the 50D and 30D, many with the same lenses I'm using on the 7D, and have never had to do so much microadjustment to the AF. It's not my lenses; it's not my tripod; it's not my technique.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 8:03 am

My only complaint with the 7D so far is that out of the box, the AF is a bit dodgy. I'm getting a lot of shots which should have been tack-sharp but which are randomly either front- or back-focused. This seems to be a fairly commonplace problem with the 7D.

It is also amazing the amount of flames one finds when googling anything about 7D AF problems; apparently there are a lot of fan-boys out there who insist it cannot possibly be a problem with the camera and has to be technique or lack of knowledge by the shooter. Sorry, gents; I've taken well over 250k photos with the 50D and 30D, many with the same lenses I'm using on the 7D, and have never had to do so much microadjustment to the AF. It's not my lenses; it's not my tripod; it's not my technique.
I've noticed this myself. It definitely gets a little dodgy with the focusing. Especially on shots where it should have no issues getting it right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.