Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2023, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I also have a Sony A1, but I no longer bring it with me to travel.

It's now my Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max, Google Pixel 8, and Sony RX100 VII. Ultimate mobile combination.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 5:03 am

Currently I'm just using my Pixel 8 Pro for travelling. It has the range of focal lengths I want. I generally don't need to control DOF and don't shoot action. It's certainly easier to carry than a more traditional camera.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by lsquare
I also have a Sony A1, but I no longer bring it with me to travel.

It's now my Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max, Google Pixel 8, and Sony RX100 VII. Ultimate mobile combination.
Why do you have two phones?
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 5:17 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Privé
Originally Posted by Dave510
I also swapped out my interchangeable lens for a fixed lens Q3, and honestly things have been a lot less constraining than I expected. I think the iPhone + Q3 will be my golden combo going forward.
Happy to hear this. I love all my lenses, but there is something so simple, and efficient about the Leica Q - I decided to wait waited before splurging on the Q3! But tempted to purchase.... well, join a waitlist I should say....
urbanspaceman likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2023, 8:50 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by luxefarer
Happy to hear this. I love all my lenses, but there is something so simple, and efficient about the Leica Q - I decided to wait waited before splurging on the Q3! But tempted to purchase.... well, join a waitlist I should say....
I got mine from El Corte Ingles in Madrid, it was just sitting there, last one on display. You might end up finding one in unexpected places, and find yourself skipping the waitlist altogether. Safe travels!
urbanspaceman and sea_jeff like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by sea_jeff
I'm about to change up the kit. Selling the backup camera (A9II) and getting an A7R5. The AI trained AF is ridiculously good and having 61mp gives plenty of latitude for cropping if needed.
I upgraded to A7RV from the IV in September before trip to Japan. It is indeed amazing but sadly can only register human faces in the AI and didn't work on either of the dogs.
sea_jeff, lsquare and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:06 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Nexus / Global Entry
Originally Posted by skitraveler
I upgraded to A7RV from the IV in September before trip to Japan. It is indeed amazing but sadly can only register human faces in the AI and didn't work on either of the dogs.
So far when the recognition algo is set to "Animal" it picks up dogs pretty quickly. Will more likely shoot with the A1 for the speed though.
UA_Flyer and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC
My favourite cameras right now are Bronica ETRSi and Minolta XG-1
Old Dec 25, 2023, 12:17 am

Programs: HH, *G
Count me a recent Leica Q convert! I recently got a Q2 since the used market got a lot more reasonable, and for me, it's a near daily companion to my iPhone. Personally, I'm not ready to ditch my EOS R5 yet...travel photography is a little too serious.

I do love the 28mm focal length, but often find I need wider...and sometimes longer. But it does mean I now travel with a Q2 and R5, rather than an R5 and older R (or even 5D). We shall see how I feel after my up coming Europe trip, but I can't see leaving the 70-200 or 14-35mm lenses behind in the future. And I'm excited to finally own a tilt-shift lens for architecture.

Still, the Q2 is really fun to use. Glad I didn't go for the SL2, but dammit... a used M just got more tempting.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by termlimit
I have the Canon 50D and I love it. It doesn't have HD video as that was introduced in the 60D, but it still takes great photos.

What does everyone else use when on travel I am just curious.
I also have Canon but alternative option I use my iPhone 11 camera.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 4:20 am

Programs: UA, QR, EY, AA, SQ, A6, MH
Canon 5D Mk 2 with L series lenses for serious image taking. Canon SX60 as my portable, quick-draw everyday camera where the 5D is just too big or will make me stand out too much, or I need to use a reach-out-and-touch-someone zoom . GoPro 9 with either a magnetic chest mount, mini -tripod, or wrapped in a floatie for water shots. iPhone 13 Pro as an alternative to the SX60, and to immediately share images with friends & family.
Old Feb 6, 2024, 4:13 pm

Sony A7CR-Same sensor as the A7R V as well as the AI autofocus but in a small, travel-friendly form.
sea_jeff and strickerj like this.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Plt Pro, UA Silver, DL, QF; HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
I pre-ordered the Fuji X100VI last night. I've missed having an X100 since I sold my S a few years ago. I was planning to buy a V, but I couldn't get my hands on one without going over MSRP. Looking forward to traveling a little lighter than the Canon R5 I have been using! Did anyone else jump on the VI preorder?
Old Mar 13, 2024, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Why do you have two phones?
Sorry, bro! I missed your post!

I have been using two phones for years because battery life is never enough with one phone. I rather have another phone than a power bank. Also, it's better to have a backup phone when traveling in case one phone fails or develops problems. Rather than having two identical phones, I have a flagship iOS and Android device. Fun to play around with as well!
strickerj and Polytonic like this.
Old Mar 15, 2024, 2:18 pm

Canon R6 + 24-105L and for compact use a Sony RX100M6.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.