Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2011, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO PLAT, Marriott PLAT

I have the Canon 50D and I love it. It doesn't have HD video as that was introduced in the 60D, but it still takes great photos.

What does everyone else use when on travel I am just curious.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:41 am

Programs: DL
Same thing I use when I'm at home, a Nikon D700 and a D300 for back-up and "longer reach". I just pre-ordered the Nikon J1 though and I'll be picking up the FT1 (allows F-mount lenses to mount to the new 1 series cameras) when it becomes available. That way I can travel with the D700 and the J1 as back-up and a lower key camera. This new set-up should also allow me to schlep a much smaller bag on board.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:45 am

I have a Canon S90. While I am impressed with the low light capabilities and general image quality, the pictures were missing the "Wow" factor, mostly because of the lack of ability to achieve a really shallow depth of field because of the small sensor.
Now I just bought a Sony NEX. While not as compact, I hope the pics will look more SLR-like.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 1:42 pm

Programs: Delta, American, United
Smile iphone

Seeing how everything is now Facebook and Viral based,
All I take along is my iPhone.
The pictures come out great.. and just wait until I get the new iPhone 4S, which has an 8 megapixel camera!
At the end of the day I plug my phone into my macbook air anyways, and poof!
Done
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:12 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Panasonic DMC G3 + lenses in a Tenba mini-messenger
Leica D 14-50 f/2.8-3.5 (adapted 43 DSLR lens - hopefully, soon to be replaced with a native lens)
Leica DG 45/2.8
Panasonic 20/1.7
Panasonic 45-200 f/4-5.6
Panasonic 8mm Fisheye

DSLR features and image quality in a much smaller package. FAR better native lens selection than any other current mirrorless format. Much, much better low light capability than any compact I am aware of, especially with the f/1.7 lens.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: *G, M+ Platinum
Originally Posted by chimphappyhour
I just pre-ordered the Nikon J1 though and I'll be picking up the FT1 (allows F-mount lenses to mount to the new 1 series cameras) when it becomes available. That way I can travel with the D700 and the J1 as back-up and a lower key camera. This new set-up should also allow me to schlep a much smaller bag on board.
Curious why you went with the J1, as the reviews I have seen have not been too positive. Just so you would have AF with all your current lenses in a more compact body?
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:24 pm

SLR P&S Combo

SLR: Canon 5D, EF 24-105 L, Sigma EX 15-30.

P&S: Panasonic DMC-FZ35K
Old Oct 12, 2011, 4:14 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Sony DSLR-A850 + glass
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:45 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Panasonic LX-3

I like to travel light.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Canon 7D and a fleet of lenses for serious work, one of the kids' Canon A3300IS's for casual carry-around, Blackberry 9650 when I have nothing else. 40D, 10D, pack of old P&S's as backups.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by ~tc~
Curious why you went with the J1, as the reviews I have seen have not been too positive. Just so you would have AF with all your current lenses in a more compact body?
Odd. I've been seeing quite a few good reviews on these cameras. The bad stuff I've seen has been mostly forum people over at dpreview who are just sour that this thing didn't turn out to be the D4 or D800 so they find the one flaw in whatever review and focus on it. (Even though the reviewer justifies the flaw with reasoning.) Do I expect the same performance as my dslrs? Not really. I just want better IQ than what I'm seeing from all of the P&S's I've handled so far.

What has me interested in this camera is that I do use Nikon front to back in my workflow. I shoot NEF and process in ViewNX and CaptureNX. (Then maybe also some Nik software at the end.) The 1 series cameras list their RAW files as being NEFs, unlike the P7100 which uses the lighter NRW format. I've found someone who has had their hands on a J1 already and has verified that I will be able to use my custom made picture controls from my dslrs in the J1. That is a huge bonus as I have some monochrome controls that come out just gorgeous. (I originally made them to give me a general idea of what to expect the final product to look like once I've processed the NEFs in other programs but some of the SOOC have come out so well that sometimes I don't touch them.) The J1 has manual settings. They aren't as handy as I'd like them but at least they are there.

Then I came to the size of the body. It's the height and width of my cellphone and maybe twice as thick without a lens mounted. Makes it easily stashable in my daily shooting bag. And yes, with the FT1, it is compatible with one set of lenses I already have. (I've heard the adapter will only work with motorized lenses. Try mounting one that isn't the body won't even shoot. That's the rumor so far but seeing as I do have one set that is, not a worry for me.)

For me, it just makes sense. Especially if it really produces the shots that I've been seeing pop-up in reviews and on Flickr. I've been wanting something smaller than my dslrs but better IQ than the P&S's I've tried so far. I'll definitely still carry my D700 with me as much as I can but this will be a nice little back-up in a lot of ways.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Primarily my Nikon D50. I take my Canon PowerShot SD850 IS if I'm worried about safety when traveling solo.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by termlimit
I have the Canon 50D and I love it. It doesn't have HD video as that was introduced in the 60D, but it still takes great photos.

What does everyone else use when on travel I am just curious.
I use my 50D and S95.

When I bought the 50D, the 60D was available but I couldn't see where I would want to use video so I went with the 50D. Over a year later and I still haven't found myself in a place where I wish I had video capability but if I do, I have the S95.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by chimphappyhour
Then I came to the size of the body. It's the height and width of my cellphone and maybe twice as thick without a lens mounted. Makes it easily stashable in my daily shooting bag. And yes, with the FT1, it is compatible with one set of lenses I already have. (I've heard the adapter will only work with motorized lenses. Try mounting one that isn't the body won't even shoot. That's the rumor so far but seeing as I do have one set that is, not a worry for me.)

For me, it just makes sense. Especially if it really produces the shots that I've been seeing pop-up in reviews and on Flickr. I've been wanting something smaller than my dslrs but better IQ than the P&S's I've tried so far. I'll definitely still carry my D700 with me as much as I can but this will be a nice little back-up in a lot of ways.
I played with a J1 earlier this week and it is sturdy as it was heavier than I thought it would be. If you are a Nikon user, I can see why this might be of interest.

But the small sensor (even smaller than Micro 4/3) is problematic when there are others that even use the APS-C size sensor. I don't see how that small of a sensor can be comparable. This then equates to a 2.7x crop factor, which is great for telephotos, but wide angle really suffers. Perhaps I am just old school, but I find it difficult to use a camera without a viewfinder, which the V1 has, but not the J1. I'm sure that I am missing something, but all things being equal, my view is Nikon is late to the game (though Canon is even further behind).
Old Oct 13, 2011, 10:35 am

[QUOTE=DavenM;17262739All I take along is my iPhone.
The pictures come out great.. and just wait until I get the new iPhone 4S, which has an 8 megapixel camera!
[/QUOTE]

I'll be real curious to see how the pictures from the iphone 4s come out in the real world. One thing I actually thought apple had done right is *not* pack in a higher megapixel camera into the 4. 8MP in a sensor that size just seems like an awful lot to me. So it'll be interesting to see how it does.

Personally, I'm using a Canon XTi (400D). Really would like to upgrade it to a 60D or 7D, but haven't convinced myself it's worth the cost yet, plus I'd really like to upgrade my shorter lens to a 17-55 2.8, but haven't really wanted to pay for that either . 70-300 IS for longer lens, and I really like that one.

Backup for a while was a Fuji F30, until my wife dropped that and the lens no longer retracts. Shame, that was a real nice camera, especially indoors, most other P&S's I've tried just can't live up to it indoors. Playing with a Canon SX230 lately, but I think I might have to send it in, I'm not convinced the focus is all that good on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.