Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:35 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Just packed for a 2 week trip.

D700 w a 50mm f 1.8, 80-200mm f 2.8, 300mm f 4, 1.4x teleconverter and a D90 as a backup body.

iPhone 5 as my walk around camera.

Decided to leave my S95 at home.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by briantoronto
Just packed for a 2 week trip.

D700 w a 50mm f 1.8, 80-200mm f 2.8, 300mm f 4, 1.4x teleconverter and a D90 as a backup body.

iPhone 5 as my walk around camera.

Decided to leave my S95 at home.
I can only assume that you are after wildlife with that list of equipment.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by ND Sol
I can only assume that you are after wildlife with that list of equipment.
A sort of bird, yes.

I did a review of what cameras I used on my last big trip. It was my iPhone (quick snaps mostly shared through instagram + other social media) or my DSLR setup.

I am thinking of giving away the S95—all it is doing is collecting dust.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by briantoronto
A sort of bird, yes.
Does it wear a tux?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:49 am

Does it wear a tux?
LOL no. But they do have wings.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 10:23 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
That is what I shoot with.
Would you recommend it for a ~$1000 camera, used mainly for city-scape and night photography (of city-scape)?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by agp423
The AF on my T5i is slower than my phone
What phone, what lens on the T5i, and are you using live view?

My T3i is noticeably faster to focus using standard SLR mode than either of the phones I've had much experience with (vastly so compared to my Galaxy Note 2, not noted for an especially good camera, and somewhat so compared to my wife's HTC One which is supposed to be above-par.)

Live-view is another matter, and is definitely not the forte of Canon DSLRs (the 70D possibly aside); the 6D is not much better than the T3i with live view.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:38 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
HTC One. The camera on it is great for a phone. And yes I was using live view. Most of the time I use live view for night photography.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
HTC One. The camera on it is great for a phone. And yes I was using live view. Most of the time I use live view for night photography.
I can see the phone beating it hands down, then. Walking the camera around in live view mode runs down the battery, right? Just switching the camera into live view mode is going to take most of the time the phone takes to focus.

OTOH, a conventional DSLR is probably not the right tool for that job.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 8:56 pm

Would you recommend it for a ~$1000 camera, used mainly for city-scape and night photography (of city-scape)?
Looking over my photos, I realize that I haven't taken too many city-scape, but here are a couple from over Christmas:

Broadmoor Hotel (5 second exposure)

Pikes Peak Bugle (0.8 second exposure)

I do recommend it. I enjoy the EVF and focus peaking. I think one of the knocks I hear about the a77 is noise, but at 24mp on an APS-C sensor that is understandable. Having said that, I don't find it problematic. I will generally keep the ISO to 800 or less and that is quite workable (though I do prefer 200). Even though I have the 16-50 f/2.8, I generally prefer the ZA16-80 f/3.5-4.5, which is what both of the above were taken with.

What are your concerns?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 1:30 pm

Wife uses the Canon S110 and I use my old Canon 40D with Tamron 28-75 & Sigma 10-20.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Considering upgrading my small travel camera (currently an Elph 300 HS). The only thing I like about my current camera is it's wide angle lens and underwater scene mode. Wide angle lets me fit in things all in one shot, rather than cutting them out and underwater scene mode speaks for itself.

Thinking about upgrading to either the Canon S110 or the Sony RX100 I. I generally just shoot in auto mode, but do like to shoot underwater too (I'm a diver). It's a travel camera so I only want these small-ish, light-ish type cameras. Obviously the Canon S110 is cheaper but I've read great things about the Sony. Anyone have any experience with both? Suggestions?
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Looking over my photos, I realize that I haven't taken too many city-scape, but here are a couple from over Christmas:

Broadmoor Hotel (5 second exposure)

Nice pic! I got married at the Broadmoor and we go back with the family for a few days around Christmas. Some great pic opportunities, especially if the place has meaning for you. I took a short video if the fire place with he 'B' script screen in front of it. My very own Yule log.....
Old Feb 27, 2014, 8:59 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
I have a new favorite: Leica M.

It's easy to use, takes outstanding pictures, and people in general don't see as you weird tourist hauling around a giant SLR. Also easy adjustments are great. Finally it's very compact, yet powerful.

The only issue is it was really expensive.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Thinking about upgrading to either the Canon S110 or the Sony RX100 I. I generally just shoot in auto mode, but do like to shoot underwater too (I'm a diver). It's a travel camera so I only want these small-ish, light-ish type cameras. Obviously the Canon S110 is cheaper but I've read great things about the Sony. Anyone have any experience with both? Suggestions?
for image quality theyre in a different class. the sony is much much more competent. great video mode too if youre into that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.