Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:40 am

Fujifilm X100S

After having it for almost a year, I love how it can take great shots in low light. It can fit in your (large) pocket too.

Though I do miss my trusty Nikon D40 DSLR. Not all waterproof bags that say they're waterproof are waterproof...even when double bagged.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:26 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Leaving all my cameras behind and picking up the Fuji X-T1 + 23mm f/1.4!!! So excited to use this thing.

Last edited by TOMFORD; Mar 13, 2014 at 5:19 pm
Old Mar 13, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
The Samsung Galaxy Camera is my favorite.

Not to be mistaken with the camera on a Samsung Galaxy phone.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: CC Concierge,HH Diamond, Melia: Platinum, Hyatt : Platinum, Hertz: Gold
X100s , still waiting for X-PRO 2 to come out.
Meanwhile lurking at the X-T1
Old Mar 13, 2014, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by jetsarefast2
Fujifilm X100S

After having it for almost a year, I love how it can take great shots in low light. It can fit in your (large) pocket too.
It really does see in the dark, I love my X100S!
Fantastic camera, silent, and no-one really takes any notice of it, since you very rarely have to use the flash.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
Another vote for the X100s

After having owned the X10, I just upgraded to the X100s a few weeks ago... Excellent little camera. Low light performance is great, I love the hybrid viewfinder, and the styling and silence mean that it is much less obtrusive than a DSLR and a lens. The size makes it easy to take with me everywhere. I've already sold the X10 and I am now in the process of getting rid of the 24-120mm f/4 lens for my D600 because I just don't use it enough.

Last edited by rwinn; Mar 13, 2014 at 10:40 pm Reason: spelling/grammar/clarity
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Thought I'd mention I just bought the RX100M2. I was previously using a Lumix LX7. The LX7 is a great little camera and with the recent price reductions, unmatched for the price.

Having used the RX100M2 for a short while, yes, it blows the LX7 away for low light performance. Haven't really used it much in video mode, although the LX7 was a great performer in that area, too.

The Fuji X100s is an awesome camera (for sure!) but I wanted something quite pocketable.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 3:23 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MPO Gold, Presidents Choice Gourmet Coffee, Flying Blue, Flying Club
For a while, I've been using a Canon PowerShot S95 and a Rebel T2i (550D), both good cameras to use, though I must admit, the S95 has been getting more use of late on account of its size and weight.

I am tempted to look at the new X cameras Fujifilm have been releasing lately!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by rwinn
After having owned the X10, I just upgraded to the X100s a few weeks ago... Excellent little camera. Low light performance is great, I love the hybrid viewfinder, and the styling and silence mean that it is much less obtrusive than a DSLR and a lens. The size makes it easy to take with me everywhere. I've already sold the X10 and I am now in the process of getting rid of the 24-120mm f/4 lens for my D600 because I just don't use it enough.
Ah yes, the X100S camera's hybrid viewfinder is fantastic. It may be strange but sometimes I would prefer having a louder camera, either to get people's attention or have a more solid DSLR feel. On the opposite end, is it possible to use the flash and continue to have the camera on silent?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
For a few years, I've been using a Nikon D7000. I love it, and have continued to expand my knowledge of its features and use of it for new things. I try to only travel with one or two lenses at a time, never more. I own four for it - a 50mm f 1.4 prime, the 18-105 DX it came with, a 70-300 FX I purchased last year before we made a trip to Africa, and a fairly inexpensive 18-55 DX zoom I bought for when I need something with some zoom (but not a ton) and is nice and light. The 18-55 mostly travels with me on short work trips when I want to carry the camera and don't need something bigger, but it is the least used lens of the bunch; I mostly shoot with the 18-105 or the 50 prime.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:39 am

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle
Originally Posted by jetsarefast2
Ah yes, the X100S camera's hybrid viewfinder is fantastic. It may be strange but sometimes I would prefer having a louder camera, either to get people's attention or have a more solid DSLR feel. On the opposite end, is it possible to use the flash and continue to have the camera on silent?
Yes, it absolutely does -- the "silent" setting just mutes the audible indicators and has no impact on the flash.

Last edited by rwinn; Mar 18, 2014 at 12:45 am Reason: corrected typos due to fat fingers on a tiny touchscreen
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by ssullivan
For a few years, I've been using a Nikon D7000.
The D7000 is a wonderful camera. It felt great to use two control wheels after having to toggle between aperature and shutter speed on my prior Nikon's!
Old Mar 18, 2014, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
The D7000 is a wonderful camera. It felt great to use two control wheels after having to toggle between aperature and shutter speed on my prior Nikon's!
Agreed! Everything on it is so easy to access.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
The D7100 carries that on.. and them some. 24 Megapixel with no anti-alias filter for better low light and less internal reflections. Despite it's size this is my new travel camera over my Canon S110.

That says a lot!

PS the Canon S110 might still hitchhike inside the bag...
Old Mar 24, 2014, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by traveller001
The D7100 carries that on.. and them some. 24 Megapixel with no anti-alias filter for better low light and less internal reflections. Despite it's size this is my new travel camera over my Canon S110.

That says a lot!

PS the Canon S110 might still hitchhike inside the bag...
Absolutely. I've looked at the D7100 and have considered upgrading, but my D7000 was a Christmas gift in 2011. It has a lot of sentimental meaning attached to it, and I just can't bring myself to upgrade at this point, given the fact that it is only two years old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.