Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2014, 9:51 am

Probably the RX100.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 12:33 pm

Programs: US Gold • SPG Gold
SLR's forever dating back to the Pentax K1000. Most recently go-to gear was a Canon t2i.
Got a Panasonic Lumix LX7 at year-end and looking forward to traveling with it.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, *G, OW G, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat
canon 5d m2
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:48 am

Hi. I'm a professional travel photographer and I can give you following advice:
relax when it comes to brand, model,... most of the Digital SLRs are really good.
Take into account following:
- how much weight do I want to carry, how much backpack space do I want to dedicate to my equipment
- Am I financially dependent on the pictures?
- What Situations do I like to photograpf: landscapes, portraits, street photography, animals
Only if you focus on anymals, you really have to take a good, long, heavy lens with you.

My recommendations:
Camera:
- if you take a heavy, big camera, it must be a full frame
- if not full frame, take a light one (e.g. the canon 700 instead of 70)
- go to a shop and take the camera in your hand, which one do you like most? e.g. I have bigger hands and prefer canon, people with smaller hands prefer nikon
- try the menu. Do you understand it? Do you like it?
- If you are an ambitious photographer, you need a camera, that has to be handy in manual modus. In best case two wheels (one for aperture, one for shutter speed)

Lens:
- this is depending on how you like to work and what you like to take pictures of
- I am often happy with a standard zoom (e.g. 24-105 on full frame) which gives landscape and portrait possibilities. Plus a small and light lens (e.g. Canon pancake) for cities, streets, markets,...
- Take a lens with a big aperture (e.g. 1:2.8 or max 1:4 if you have a picture stabiliser), since you don't always want to carry and use a tripod and also use it in the evening
- Take even one with an aperture of 1:1.8 or 1:2 if you love to take pictures of details (with blurred background)

Flash / Light:
- If you like nice pictures, don't care about the built in flash, it's of no use.
- Either push your camera to a high ISO when taking pictures in low light situation or if you like using flash, use a real one. Big one, where the head is moveable in all directions and where the head is away from the lens.
- Or take a reflector with you, maybe with two sides: white and mixture between gold&silver on the other side

And:
- take a lot of Flash chips
- Do a lot of back ups
- If you want to use it semi-professional or professional, use RAW (+jpg, since jpg is already ready to share with friends and family out of the camera)
- take a second battery
- take a good circular polarisation filter

And And:
- Enjoy taking pictures
- Do not pur yourself under pressure
- You don't have to take that picture if you are unispires, 1000s took it before and you will find it on the internet. Turn around and look for other light, motives,...
- Walk around, look, smell, feel, talk to people (before taking picture), go up and down, play around, have fun!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:35 pm

@Igotraveling: I agree on the most. I am not professional but a hobbyist. Recently I got fullframe (eos 6) and will bring it on trip with the 24-105 f/4L and Samyang 14mm wideangle lens. And when I don't want to take the bulky SLR with me I have that cute little Powershot S100 with about the same zoom range.
But the eos 6 is good in high ISO: pics taken at 12k5 or 25k are still good, and 3200 excellent.

For me the eos 6 is lighter and smaller than my previous one : the eos 7, but the lens heavier than the EF-S 15-85 of the 7.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I've switched over to a Canon S110 from an S100. There was a printer, paper, camera rebate from Canon that was too good to pass up. I really like the ability to transfer photos via wifi to an iPhone/iPad.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 7:19 am

Programs: Delta DM
I've come to the realization that less is more. I have now just started traveling with my 5dMIII, grip, 40 2.8 pancake, and the 24-70 2.8L. I find that this gets most everything I want to shoot. The 5D with the 40 is small footprint and you don't have to worry about the zoom, plus its just a good carry around lens/camera kit. If you know you are going to shoot "awesome" stuff, put the grip and 24-70 on and bigger day bag.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by ND Sol
Can't we agree that all other things being equal, a larger sensor will provide a better IQ, especially when the sensor is 3x larger? That was the only point I have been making.
Sure.

OTOH, all other things are seldom, if ever, equal.

(Nor at the same size image sensor, and everything else being equal, are you going to ever get a universal agreement on what aspects of image quality to optimize for, at least until you get to "money is no object" levels of cost.)
Old Feb 14, 2014, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, Avis PP. Dropped UA*G.
5DmkII when I know I will get a photo day and have enough hand luggage flexibility.

Fuji X100s when I know I wont get a photo day or have limited hand luggage.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Ricoh GR. Super compact... fits in pocket or palm for discretion. 16MP, great optics with 28mm lens, and big sensor. I tired of lugging my big ol' Pentax.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:28 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
Ricoh GR... Fixed prime lens? Nice. Zoom is overrated. But wide-angle isn't.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 12:10 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by docmoney
Ricoh GR... Fixed prime lens? Nice. Zoom is overrated. But wide-angle isn't.
Now that Ricoh and Pentax are one company, the GR has been re-positioned to be the high-quality, almost-pocket camera of the combined line. Smaller and less expensive than the K50/K5ii/K3 DSLRs, it still delivers good image quality for those who don't need more lens reach or the advanced features of the larger bodies. Nice camera.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 2:41 am

Just bought the Fujifilm X100s, I'm very excited about the low light capabilities, and I'm perfectly fine with the fixed focal length. Should be a great travel companion IMO.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 8:16 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by Igotravelling
- You don't have to take that picture if you are unispires, 1000s took it before and you will find it on the internet. Turn around and look for other light, motives,...
This is so money.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 10:25 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I take my LX7 usually. I'll bring both the LX7 and 5DMkIII if I am feeling ambitious, which I rarely do, which, then, begs the question why I even have a DSLR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.