Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:58 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Absolutely. I've looked at the D7100 and have considered upgrading, but my D7000 was a Christmas gift in 2011. It has a lot of sentimental meaning attached to it, and I just can't bring myself to upgrade at this point, given the fact that it is only two years old.
You have a good camera. Upgrading to the D7100 is sort of a mixed bag of delight and problems. Greater resolution means bringing better lenses to the game. The Pro big dollar lenses really bring out the difference.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Diamond, B6 Mosaic, AS MPV Gold, UA Gold MM, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by traveller001
You have a good camera. Upgrading to the D7100 is sort of a mixed bag of delight and problems. Greater resolution means bringing better lenses to the game. The Pro big dollar lenses really bring out the difference.
Yep, which is why I'm not doing anything. I figure in a few years I'll upgrade, when there's a bigger leap in features. After all, regardless of what you buy and when you buy it, something else that eclipses it will be released within 12-18 months.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: A3 *G, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Yep, which is why I'm not doing anything. I figure in a few years I'll upgrade, when there's a bigger leap in features. After all, regardless of what you buy and when you buy it, something else that eclipses it will be released within 12-18 months.
There's a rumor that the D7200 would be announced sometime this year.

What I am interested in is the Df, it's full frame but it's around the same size and weight as a D7100. It's just a shame that it will most likely never get more pro features like a separate grip or second card slot.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, KE GOLD, AMEX PLAT
I think it's unanimous that the X100S wins on this board.

That said.. the NEX-3N is still my camera of choice in terms of price / performance
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: HH Gold-IHG Plat
E-620 with 12-60 or city walking then the 35mm 1.4
Old Apr 8, 2014, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA silver
Canon Rebel vs. Sony RX100 II in low light?

About 3 years ago I got a Canon digital Rebel that I've been very happy with, especially with its low light performance in places like museums. But now I'm planning a 3.5 week trip with light baggage and am thinking of downsizing the camera. From reviews (and this thread) I've narrowed in on the Sony RX100 II. Does anyone have any opinion on its low light interior performance, especially in comparison to a camera like the Rebel?
Old Apr 8, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
My RX100 blows away my DSLR with KIT LENS. Now if you put a faster lens on the Rebel you will have better low light but honestly, the ability of having a great low light camera that you can stick in your pocket is priceless.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 1:08 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by yhm71
... in comparison to a camera like the Rebel?
Which Rebel? The original 6 mp camera from over 10 years ago (also called the 300D) or one of the newer versions? The older one is completely obsolete and virtually any new model from any manufacturer will out-perform it in low light. The newer Rebels in the T(x)i series will do much better.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: BA silver
It's the T2i. Thanks for the feedback.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 6:02 am
Suspended

Canon EOS Rebel SL1 is good camera for travlleing.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Purchased a Leica D-Lux6! WOW! Kicks my 5DmIII to the curb for small travel camera.

https://www.facebook.com/gjcphoto for a comparison.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 7:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles Member, Global Entry,AA Gold
My Lumix G-6 with the 20mm Pancake lens. Plus its lighter then my DSLR and if I even take all of my m 4/3 lenses its lighter then just my dslr and one lens.
Old Apr 11, 2014, 8:56 am

I had a budget of <$300, so I just picked up a Panasonic LX7. I know some may say it is a bit outdated already, but all the reviews I have read are very favorable. I look forward to trying it out!
Old Apr 11, 2014, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by bmrisko
I had a budget of <$300, so I just picked up a Panasonic LX7. I know some may say it is a bit outdated already, but all the reviews I have read are very favorable. I look forward to trying it out!
You can certainly go either smaller, or higher end, or both, but by any measure that's a very good camera, at a reasonable price. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

(And FWIW, I know a couple of people with the LX5 that it replaced, who are still very happy with that even older model...)
Old Apr 11, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by agp423
I feel like when people travel, they spend too much time taking photos, with the exception being people/professionals who travel to places for the sole purpose of taking photos. Taking a good picture with my 5DMkIII is not much different from taking a good picture with my LX7 in terms of everything except quality (quality aren't far off either when you are putting them on a computer screen without zooming in). I think photography should be a minor supplement to the experience of where you're traveling to rather than a big component that takes a significant amount of time and makes traveling companions hate you for wanting to stop every five steps. Unless your next paycheck depends pictures or unless you're going to be making 60x40 prints of your pictures, there's no need to haul around a brick of a camera around. Just my humble opinion.
Hmm...I can see the argument. For me I couldn't imagine not having my good DSLR with me most of the time. I consider everywhere I go in the world to be a gift, and to respect this gift I figure I owe it to myself to be as creative as I can with my photography while I'm there. Plus I love taking pics. I travel very light otherwise, so having my gear is no bother. I spend a lot of time taking photos on a trip and don't feel it detracts one bit from the experience of being present to where I am. If anything it enhances. I notice more.

I usually take my Canon 5D Mark lll. Preferred lenses are 70-200 f2.8 ISII which is my all time favorite lens, 24 f1.4L II, 50 1.4. Sometimes I'll take the 14 mm 2.8L II for landscapes and different architectural perspectives but it's way wide. All this fits in a small camera carry-on backpack. I also use a Black Rapid sling which is light years better than the supplied camera straps as far as neck comfort and placement of the camera and lens on my body go. It keeps the camera inverted at my hip instead of sticking out on my chest in front of me. I can sightsee a whole day and not be tired of carrying the telephoto on the sling. I usually don't travel with my laptop so I bring lots of SD and CF storage.

The only reason I may opt to take my crop body and kit lens is if I want to keep a lower profile and feel there is greater theft risk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.