Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:11 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I feel like when people travel, they spend too much time taking photos, with the exception being people/professionals who travel to places for the sole purpose of taking photos. Taking a good picture with my 5DMkIII is not much different from taking a good picture with my LX7 in terms of everything except quality (quality aren't far off either when you are putting them on a computer screen without zooming in). I think photography should be a minor supplement to the experience of where you're traveling to rather than a big component that takes a significant amount of time and makes traveling companions hate you for wanting to stop every five steps. Unless your next paycheck depends pictures or unless you're going to be making 60x40 prints of your pictures, there's no need to haul around a brick of a camera around. Just my humble opinion.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:22 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Originally Posted by agp423
I feel like when people travel, they spend too much time taking photos, with the exception being people/professionals who travel to places for the sole purpose of taking photos. Taking a good picture with my 5DMkIII is not much different from taking a good picture with my LX7 in terms of everything except quality (quality aren't far off either when you are putting them on a computer screen without zooming in). I think photography should be a minor supplement to the experience of where you're traveling to rather than a big component that takes a significant amount of time and makes traveling companions hate you for wanting to stop every five steps. Unless your next paycheck depends pictures or unless you're going to be making 60x40 prints of your pictures, there's no need to haul around a brick of a camera around. Just my humble opinion.
I disagree.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by briantoronto
I disagree.
I also disagree; I find taking pictures keeps me more mindful of my surroundings, and is a good way to reminisce about my trips later. It's also rarely of interest to anyone else.

I can't say I bother with a "brick" of a camera most of the time; I mostly travel with my S95. For new places, where I want some good quality pictures to put on my walls, since I've got a DSLR anyway, I'll bring that.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
I feel like when people travel, they spend too much time taking photos...
I'll say I agree in principle. Remember the days of 24- or 36-exposure film? You were limited to a certain number of photos and would shoot only the best, most meaningful moments. Now, with huge memory cards, one can take hundreds of photos without ever worrying about running out of space. So folks tend to shoot anything and everything.

How about being in the moment, enjoying the experience rather than seeing the world through the viewfinder?
Old Feb 19, 2014, 5:22 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nkedel
I also disagree; I find taking pictures keeps me more mindful of my surroundings, and is a good way to reminisce about my trips later. It's also rarely of interest to anyone else.

I can't say I bother with a "brick" of a camera most of the time; I mostly travel with my S95. For new places, where I want some good quality pictures to put on my walls, since I've got a DSLR anyway, I'll bring that.
Let me clarify...

I'm not arguing against taking pictures. I'm saying I don't think the marginal benefit of having a DSLR pictures instead of a good point-n-shoot picture is worth the marginal cost of stopping ten minutes and spending a minute or more to take a picture. That's from my travel experience and people I've traveled with. If you can get the perfect shot while walking then good on you!
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
If when looking at your photos, people comment on only low noise and low aberration, then you probably shouldn't have got a DSLR
Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:49 am

Let me clarify...

I'm not arguing against taking pictures. I'm saying I don't think the marginal benefit of having a DSLR pictures instead of a good point-n-shoot picture is worth the marginal cost of stopping ten minutes and spending a minute or more to take a picture. That's from my travel experience and people I've traveled with. If you can get the perfect shot while walking then good on you!
And I disagree.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 11:49 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by briantoronto
And I disagree.
Without knowing what you disagree with, I can confidently say - you cannot be more wrong.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 12:49 pm

Without knowing what you disagree with, I can confidently say - you cannot be more wrong.
Awesome.

FWIW I was just being more succinct than the original poster. (S)he is certain of their opinion—as am I. I just decided not to blather on and on (and on).
Old Feb 19, 2014, 2:51 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Okay.

As far as I was concerned, which I no longer am, you could be disagreeing with how I spelled "camera".
Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
If you can get the perfect shot while walking then good on you!
Perfect? No. Good enough for me? Yes. I actually find the through-the-lens view is faster and often requires less time and fiddling to get "good enough" than having to use the LCD on the back (and possible fiddle with creating shade, etc.)

A phone is even slower --I have to unlock, start the camera app, fiddle with its rather dumb autofocus (and if outdoors, turning the brightness up and/or shading the screen) is even slower.

I'm not one of these "go someplace for the specific time of day, bring a tripod, etc" guys.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: *G

some people enjoy buying and using cameras and editing and looking at the photos.

similarly other people enjoy researching about and scrutinizing ana vs nh vs sq and the airport and flight experience just as much as their destination
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:08 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by nkedel
Perfect? No. Good enough for me? Yes. I actually find the through-the-lens view is faster and often requires less time and fiddling to get "good enough" than having to use the LCD on the back (and possible fiddle with creating shade, etc.)

A phone is even slower --I have to unlock, start the camera app, fiddle with its rather dumb autofocus (and if outdoors, turning the brightness up and/or shading the screen) is even slower.

I'm not one of these "go someplace for the specific time of day, bring a tripod, etc" guys.
The AF on my T5i is slower than my phone

Off topic - anyone have experience with the Sony A77?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:44 am

Off topic - anyone have experience with the Sony A77?
That is what I shoot with.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:30 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
The AF on my T5i is slower than my phone
Not surprising. The Rebels are entry-level, consumer grade cameras not noted for things like speed of focus.

As to your other points, I think it all comes down to how important your photos and the process of getting them are to you. I can't speak for you or anyone else but as an enthusiast/semi-pro, finding, composing and capturing a good shot takes virtually the same time and effort for me with a high-end P&S or my working cameras, whether the DSLR or the Olympus ILC. The difference is that with the additional features and capabilities the resultant images are just better with the ILC and DSLR than a P&S and vastly better than I could get with a phone held in one hand at arms length.

And I AM one of the up-before-dawn-with-a-tripod guys. At least sometimes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.