Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by flyboy60
Nope - ISO 1600 is excellent, and ISO 3200 is certainly useable. Even ISO 6400 in a pinch.

I have a native prime lens that is an f1.7, and a couple of adapted lenses that are f1.4s. If I really needed faster (and I don't) Voigtlander makes a couple of f0.95 lenses for Micro 4/3, and Panasonic just announced a 42mm f1.2.
Can't forget IBIS either. I used to own an OM-D and I would handhold the 17/1.8 or 20/1.7 down to 1/4 of a second without a hitch. With the 7-14 I could handhold it down to 1/2 a second at the widest focal-length. ISO is already as good as most APS-C sensors, but once you toss in IBIS you can forget about using the higher ISO's for anything aside from action.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: CC Concierge,HH Diamond, Melia: Platinum, Hyatt : Platinum, Hertz: Gold
Originally Posted by joony
The iPhone camera has been getting better after picking up the new one last week. The iPhone 5s is definitely rich in features - burst mode, slightly larger sensor, faster lens, 120fps movie, better low light performance. Just tried it out on a recent trip, not bad at all. Won't be replacing the 5D Mark III though
Interesting that you would mention the iPhone as a contender. Low light photography there is defenately an issue for me. Have you tried the 5s already? Any better?
Old Sep 27, 2013, 6:26 am

Programs: Delta DM
5dMiii with the 40 2.8 Pancake is a great small walk around if you don't need much.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by termlimit
I have the Canon 50D and I love it. It doesn't have HD video as that was introduced in the 60D, but it still takes great photos.

What does everyone else use when on travel I am just curious.
Rebel T3i. Love it. HD video, 18 MP sensor, reasonably snappy autofocus.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
If I'm going somewhere with a elevated interest in photography I'll carry:

Nikon D50 (soon to be D7000 or D7100)
Sigma EX 10-20/3.5
Sigma EX 24-60/2.8
Vivitar 100/3.5 Macro
Sigma EF-500 DG Super

Any other time I carry a Canon S90 for snapshots and "just in case" something of interest comes along. Occaisonally I'll rely solely on my Samsung Galaxy S4 if I need to travel super-light, but the Canon S90 doesn't take up too much space in a computer bag.

Last edited by IsleOfMan; Oct 6, 2013 at 1:47 pm
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
My Canon s100 - for me this was a good hybrid camera before moving to a DSLR model.

I take a lot of video with my EVO 3G LTE
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage
I purchased the Canon PowerShot SX260 HS because it was almost as portable as my Elph and but with a better zoom functionality.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Sant
I purchased the Canon PowerShot SX260 HS because it was almost as portable as my Elph and but with a better zoom functionality.
Very nice camera.

Compared to the S90-S120 series, much worse available light performance (slightly smaller and lower end sensor, and smaller aperture) and a few other down sides for enthusiasts -- no RAW, clunkier manual controls -- but for a lot of people the zoom range (and slightly wider wide end) will make a bigger difference.

My father in law had an SX260 as his main camera and loved it.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by nkedel
Very nice camera.

Compared to the S90-S120 series, much worse available light performance (slightly smaller and lower end sensor, and smaller aperture) and a few other down sides for enthusiasts -- no RAW, clunkier manual controls -- but for a lot of people the zoom range (and slightly wider wide end) will make a bigger difference.

My father in law had an SX260 as his main camera and loved it.
Although I've been using an Olympus PEN EP-5 a lot recently, the workhorse and easy choice to pack is the Canon S90 for travel. The huge deal is the control ring on the lens for multiple functions. I find it excellent for zoom - way better than pressing a button. The new 120 looks like a winner too with a huge auto iso range

Last edited by AATrout; Oct 5, 2013 at 7:37 am
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Nikon D90

No reason to compromise on quality. I wish I had it on trips years ago...
Old Oct 10, 2013, 12:31 pm

I would like to buy new camera but don't know exactly which one, can anyone recommend a camera that is good for making pictures about moving objects and is not being too massive for trips.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by FlytoMoon
I would like to buy new camera but don't know exactly which one, can anyone recommend a camera that is good for making pictures about moving objects and is not being too massive for trips.
What's your budget? The least expensive one I can recommend is the Canon SX280 or Canon S100 but there are a LOT more options once you go up in price over $300, and plenty of people have suggested good ones.

If you tell us your budget, your level of experience taking pictures, and how massive is too massive, we can say more.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: anything that gets me to Asia

5D Mark iii with the 50mm f1.2 is like the best camera setup I've ever had. Will never go back to a cheap camera.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by FlytoMoon
In addition to my DSLR, I carry the Sony DSC-RX100 - pocket size but shoots raw format and has outstanding results. An updated model has come out making the older one a bit cheaper.
Old Nov 15, 2013, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
In addition to my DSLR, I carry the Sony DSC-RX100 - pocket size but shoots raw format and has outstanding results. An updated model has come out making the older one a bit cheaper.
+1 on the Sony RX100 - I never go anywhere without it. Small enough to slip in jean pockets and the photo quality cannot be beat given it's a full size sensor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.