Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2013, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Platinum
I carry my D300s and waaay too much glass, but I love getting the photos I want (well, usually - was on the top of the Mori Tower in Roppongi Hills and they don't allow tripods, monopods or even bags. You can take only what fits in your pockets. Hard to get a sharp shot at night, but was still fun.

My buddy has the Nikon V1, and it is a far more capable camera than folks give it credit for, and there is an increasingly big selection of lenses (plus you can use regular lenses from Nikon SLRs with an adapter...
Old Jul 21, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: most of them
I just completed 2 weeks in Germany and my OM-D kit did very well for me. Mostly I shot with the 12-50mm kit lens but also some with the Panasonic 25 1.4 and the Oly 60mm 2.8 macro. Way better than lugging my D7000 or D600 around would have been. I always had it with me mostly attached to the PeakDesign "cuff" wrist strap.

Now I just need to go through the 4000 pictures and do some editing.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 12:40 am

Take a lot of pictures but do not have time to review and edit them. Probably look at them once and then archive them.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA
It's a pretty barebones camera, but currently I just bring a Ricoh GR. No zoom, but I'm used to being stuck with one prime lens for extended periods.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 6:38 am

Programs: QF
GoPro for me.
Pentax KR 18-200. The body is a reasonably compact for travel.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
I have the T3 rebel with standard image stabilising lens. I really enjoy using it and have gotten some pro quality photos with it.
What I like about DSLRs is the ability to set aperture and shutter values. I guess now those features are available on some consumer grade cameras too.

A large sensor makes images less noisy. This is why I use a DSLR when I can. But then... If the viewer only notices how noisy the images are, there isn't much else interesting in the photo.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 1:53 am

Programs: LH Senator, CX Diamond, UA Prem Plat, Fans of MO Elite
Like many others who have posted on this thread, I'm a big fan of the Sony RX100 and take it on all my trips. It's a terrific camera.

I also use an Olympus PEN E-PL1 with standard 14-42mm kit lens. I just got a pancake M.Zukio 17mm f2.8 lens for it so I'll be trying it out on the next trip.

The new Sony RX1 looks great and may be the next toy to upgrade to.

Old Aug 10, 2013, 3:25 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I recently bought a Canon sl1 (or digital rebel 100), really light weight, bare bones dslr. I have a 40mm pancake lens on it right now and it's great. My usual camera is a new 5D Mark III with too much glass. If I'm planning on basic travel photography, I'll take the sl1 with appropriate glass (went to Edinburgh Tattoo last night and got some surprisingly good pictures with eh sl1 and the 40mm). If say I'm going somewhere where I know I want to spend time doing landscape or wildlife, then I'll take the 5D and lots of glass.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 4:50 am

Programs: HHonors Gold | Club Carlson Gold | Le Club Platinum | British Airways Silver | * Alliance Gold |
Canon 1D X and 24-70mm 2.8L II.
Indeed heavy but I prefer quality over flexibility, even during travel.

Secondary camera: Sony RX100
Old Aug 11, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
Originally Posted by manneca
I recently bought a Canon sl1 (or digital rebel 100), really light weight, bare bones dslr. I have a 40mm pancake lens on it right now and it's great.
I just bought one of these, too, and I am really happy with it. There may be some shots I miss because I don't have a better camera with me but, in the vast majority of situations, it takes very good pictures. It's much lighter than my other cameras and it's easy to tuck it away in an ordinary looking backpack. The real test, though, will be how well it functions in cold weather.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Traded in my RX100 for an RX100m2 - love the new features.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:20 am

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ScottC
Traded in my RX100 for an RX100m2 - love the new features.
Can you elaborate?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:21 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by NC_Girl
The RX 100 stomps all over every other compact out there, and I have tried the S100 and the Panny that is supposed to be so good.... but they are not even close.

I really got into photography a couple of years ago and I have spent at least 3K on DSLR "stuff" in the past couple of years, not including my 7D body, and the RX 100 is worth more to me than all of it because it is in my purse 100% of the time and can do 96.55% as well in most situations. My DSLR hasn't been out of the closet but once since I finally broke down and bought the RX 100.

If you haven't tried one, you have no idea what you are missing. When it first came out I was like Yea, Right, a compact camera for $650, that will be the day. But, I finally bought one and you couldn't pry it away from me.... for love or money, it really is THAT GOOD!
^^^

6th trip with it. In our case I leave it permenetly on auto and seems to know exactly what to do. The hd video is better than my wife's expensive Sony hd kit. And it is always with me. We're just taking so many pictures - perfect pictures and taking more video as well. It's pointless having a camera if it is a palaver.

I don't know how it does it - but it does.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by NC_Girl
Can you elaborate?
personally, the built-in NFC and Wifi is really, really, really nifty. And far better implemented than using a wifi card (such as eye-fi)

other people may like the tilting LCD screen.

and theres a hotshoe port for external flash or electronic viewfinder
Old Aug 12, 2013, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by deniah
personally, the built-in NFC and Wifi is really, really, really nifty. And far better implemented than using a wifi card (such as eye-fi)

other people may like the tilting LCD screen.

and theres a hotshoe port for external flash or electronic viewfinder
Spot on.

Plus, it is the newest "thing", and I like the newest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.