Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Photography
Reload this Page >

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your camera of choice while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:25 pm

Bought my first SLR in 1977(ish), a Nikon FE and gradually built up my equipment bag with a MD12 motor drive, 28mm, 135mm and 200mm Nikkor lenses and finally a 600mm Sigma Cat lens and also a F3. I dipped my toe in the digital arena a couple of years ago with a Lumix DMC-FZ18 which is a Bridge (type) camera. I find this an excellent piece of kit, the 18X zoom lens being the equivalent of 28-502mm but the images do fall apart a bit towards the upper areas of magnification.

Last year I took the plunge and went "full" digital with the new D7000 and although in some respects the considerably cheaper D5100 was my first choice, I went for the D7000 bacause it works in terms of fit and metering with all my old lenses and therefore saved me a small fortune by not having to buy all new. The lack of Autofocus on the old lenses isn't a problem for me as if using a telephoto I'll probably have it set to infinity anyway.

The only lens I haven't tried yet is the big Sigma otherwise I'm very pleased with every aspect of the camera even though I may not use all its features. The Lumix is a lot more compact and lighter than the Nikon, as you might expect, and is inconspicuous enough to not attract the wrong kind of attention.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
I've enjoyed reading back through the pages to get some input from everyone's posts. Right now I'm debating between the Canon 7D and the 5D MkII, and if anyone can put up a compelling argument, it might help to steer me in the right direction. I'm aware there are some differences between both models, but curious to see why a fellow FTer chose the model they did between the two...
Old Aug 20, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by TexasTea
I've enjoyed reading back through the pages to get some input from everyone's posts. Right now I'm debating between the Canon 7D and the 5D MkII, and if anyone can put up a compelling argument, it might help to steer me in the right direction. I'm aware there are some differences between both models, but curious to see why a fellow FTer chose the model they did between the two...
7D - good for using zoom lenses on a crop sensor - shootingin zoos, birds, etc.

5Dmk2 - great for wide angle, landscape, portraits.. more all around than the 7D..
you konw the 5d has a mk3 now right?
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by vmsea
7D - good for using zoom lenses on a crop sensor - shootingin zoos, birds, etc.

5Dmk2 - great for wide angle, landscape, portraits.. more all around than the 7D..
you konw the 5d has a mk3 now right?
Thanks for the info! I'm aware of the MkIII, just not sure if I can justify the price difference from the MkII
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:29 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Thanks for the info! I'm aware of the MkIII, just not sure if I can justify the price difference from the MkII
with that line of thinking (which i agree).. you should wait on 7D.. it's been out quite a while.. there's gotta be an update coming soon (one would hope?)
Old Aug 20, 2012, 3:50 pm

MK II is Full Frame, no crop on lenses. Best camera i ever owned. Well I have MK III now...
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:22 am

When I go to travel that time I use Sony Cyber-shot W650, its takes so amazing photos. so you can use it.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (Nokia Lumia 800: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows Phone OS 7.5; Trident/5.0; IEMobile/9.0; NOKIA; Lumia 800; Vodafone))

Canon S100, and the camera on this Nokia phone for quick snaps
Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:25 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Seriously, my iPhone. Sad but so true.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by lalala
Seriously, my iPhone. Sad but so true.
I have to agree to some degree. There's a nice secure feeling about taking a picture, having it shift to the cloud, and being able to delete it off the device if need be. Past that, it's hard to compromise over the DSLR.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:06 pm

Depending on where I go and length of trip, I either carry my full gear with Canon 1D MK IV and 70/200 f2.8 plu some other asorted glass and converters for longer reach. On trips where I cant carry all my gear, Y carry a Nikon Coolpix P510. I have been great;y surprised at the quality of pictures from the Nikon; as well as the excellent zoom. I only wish it had the option for a remote trigger. I love my 1D and Canon glss lenses; but the portability of the P510 is great and I can always get good pictures.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage
It use to be my Konica Minolta Z5 from 2006 then after my Alaska trip in May it knonked out at Denali (Thankfully I had my Nikon CoolPix Point and Shoot) and now I upgraded to a Canon EOS Rebel T3.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:51 am

Just bought the Canon 7D a few weeks ago, and absolutely love it. Versatile camera for sure. However now that the Canon 6D has been shown, it's making me move for the wallet pretty quick...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 7:22 pm

Just bought the Canon 7D a few weeks ago, and absolutely love it. Versatile camera for sure. However now that the Canon 6D has been shown, it's making me move for the wallet pretty quick...
I have the 5d MKIII and now I saw the 6D I dont know why I spend 1500 extra for this camera...

Did you saw the Sony RX100?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by EZETravel
I have the 5d MKIII and now I saw the 6D I dont know why I spend 1500 extra for this camera...

Did you saw the Sony RX100?
I just saw the Sony; great looking camera and it seems pretty versatile for not being a full-blown DSLR. It's pretty amazing when you look at the specs on the Canon 6D next to the MkIII. The 6D has all of the great weather sealants that the 7D has, and weighs only 680g, next to the MkIII's 860g and the 7D's 820g.

A little less weight for carrying on the plane will be much appreciated! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.